Talked w/ another ERF mom today!

PixieEMT

I received a call from a woman that lives in the town where I'm listed as their CS technician. She wanted to ask me about expired seats. Apparently, a local thrift store has been selling expired seats. She approached the store owner about it and she said "Well, if people drop them off , I will sell them." :thumbsdown: Apparently she has some junky expired OHS too! The lady told me she bought a couple to get them off the market.:thumbsup:

The woman that called wanted to know if it was illegal (Crimial) for her to sell them. Unfortunatley it is not. :mad: It is more of a moral issue. I'm sure someone could bring a civil suit against the shop owner if their child would get injured. :p It's America, you can sue anyone for anything lol!

So we started talking. She's not a tech but wants to get certified. She ERFs her 2y/o! She told me she had her seat checked by another local CPST (I know of this tech) and she told her to FF him b/c his legs were touching the seat....."his legs will break" hogwash!
We talked a bit about ERF and HWH seats. I recently contacted the local paper about doing a 2 part series on Expired Seats and Rear Facing past 1y/o 20lbs. She said she would give a statement to the paper and allow pics of her son RF! I figure having another person joining the ERF movement would help draw more attention to it. Sometimes you need strength in numbers! :cool:

ADS

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
I long for the day I can meet anyone around me who has their LO ERFing! I can't even get my own friends and family to ERF their LOs. Good for you on being so proactive to get info out in the paper like that! :thumbsup:

PixieEMT

The paper took my contact information, I'm only on a waiting list right now. But , the lead reporter sounded interested he had no clue seats expired. He seemed shocked.

Yes, it was nice to meet another ERF parent. I only met one other parent a couple months ago. Her step-daughter was still RF at 3 y/o! :D

I promise to post a link though when it makes the press. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm lucky to have a lot of my friends erf. I've also got some irl friends on this board though too, so I'm sure that adds to it. ;)

I've actually started hearing at checks "I heard that it was safer to rf until at least 2 or 30lbs, but I thought the law was 1yr and 20lbs?" I :love: that question. Means that lots more people are hearing about erf'ing and doing it. I know a dr. in town rf'ed her kid until 3yrs old - somebody mentioned it to me at a seat check once how her kid's dr. had told her to keep her child rf'ing to the limits of the seat. How's that for cool?

So cool about the newspaper article. I'll be looking forward to you posting the link. :)

Loves2sing

Wow Trudy, I wish there were more drs like that one!!

Good idea on the newspaper article! I hope they run it, and that store doesn't sell seats anymore!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's awesome! We had a seat check a couple weeks ago where we had a 3 year old RF, and a 22 month old RF. And they weren't in the same family!

My friend is officially ERF her kid, who is 13 months and 22 pounds :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC