Mazda 5 - work for me? Reliability?

niccig

We're making a short list of cars to test drive. I talked to a man in a parking lot about his Mazda 5 - he loves it and he said his former vehicle was a truck.

I know from reports here that the 3rd row shoulder belts are annoying - was this fixed in the 08 model?

We would only use the 3rd row occasionally. eg. family in town and even then only on the weekends when DH is with us. And then it would be me back there as I'm the shortest. I'm 5'3". We have a 3rd row in our Subaru Tribeca and have only used it a few times when family visits. As DS gets older and we car pool with friends to events, how about kids in boosters?

How is the reliability of the car? I want to buy and then own for a long time. Will it make the distance?

ETA There's no stability control. Is this a problem?

Thanks. Nicci

Last edited:
ADS

southpawboston

the mazda5 is not sold with ESC in the US... not even as an option :(. however if you look at the NHTSA rollover risk, it's lower than many vehicles *with* ESC.

they did not fix the third-row seatbelt issue in the 08s.

reliability-wise, it's awesome. both the mazda3 and mazda5 (same car, essentially, different body) top the reliability charts according to sources like edmund's and consumer reports. edmunds also gives it an award for its lowest "cost to own" ranking.

niccig

Thanks SPB. I was hoping ESC wouldn't be the deal breaker for me. We still need to test drive, but it sounds like a great car for us. One DC, sometimes other passengers, often too much gear to fit in DH's Prius, but we don't need a big car, we want good mpg, and not cost as much as a 2006 highlander hybrid, another option we're considering. I know some people don't want a minivan, but since DS was born, I've always wanted sliding doors and some minivan features, but a minivan is too much car for us. This would suit us better. The seatbelts in the 3rd row are a concern, but we will rarely use that row. I'll see how they fit me, as most times I'll be the one in the back row.

Off to read more posts from Defrost.

Oh, and if anyone knows, carseats would be Safeguard/Uptown or Como - most of the time Safeguard seat. Will this work in both rows, or only center row - that's fine for us, but would be nice to mover around if need be. eg. grandparents will not be able to get in back row etc.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
We've had our 2006 Mazda 5 for over 2 years now (including a 4,000 mile road trip) and it's been 100% problem-free. We love it! I've successfully installed a Marathon, Scenera, Regent, and SnugRide in it.

jewlsvern

My husband works for Mazda so we only drive Mazdas. I previously owned Hondas, but I love the Mazda. The Mazda 5 is the car I choose to drive out of all the ones they sell. I am currently in a temporary CX-9 which I like, but I miss my Mazda 5. My biggest reason is the sliding doors. My DD is still in a infant seat and the sliding doors make it so much easier, plus I don't have to worry about my niece and nephew hitting cars next to me with the sliding doors.
The Gas mileage is great and the car handles so well. It has the feel of a car, but the room of a minivan (just a little smaller). I like how every person gets their own seat and car seats do not have to be crammed next to each other like in a 3 row bench seat.
I owned the 07 before and will have an 08 when I move to VA in 3 weeks. I haven't been in the 3rd row of the 08 but I fit fine in the 07 3rd row. I do like the upgrade they made on the 08 model.
I would HIGHLY recommend the Mazda 5. It is a great car especially if you transport children. I only have one DC, but I would choose the Mazda 5 over a sedan. My DH even like to drive the Mazda 5.
Also, my 5 yr old nephew and 7 yr old niece are both in booster seats. One in a HBB and one in a LBB. They have both fit together in the 3rd row with no complaints and plenty of room.

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Just wanted to chime in and say I love my Mazda 5, too. :love: The 3rd row seatbelts drive me nuts, but that's really just specific to my family and the fact that I have 4 kids, 3 of whom are out of carseats. The gas mileage is pretty much unbeatable for the size, but it drives and feels like a car. The '08 fixed my two other complaints - they added a passenger arm rest and rear air vents. If they'd just fix those 3rd row seat belts it'd be perfect!

Oh, I did replace the tires that came with it. They were total crap for what I needed and I had absolutely no traction in the snow.

I know it LOOKS like a minivan in pictures, but I consider it a car. When I first got mine I kept losing it in parking lots because I was looking for it as something a lot taller and longer! With the 3rd row folded down, it's got plenty of cargo room. It's got the turn radius of a car, too.

I just got some pics of the Safeguard in the Mazda 5 from another member who doesn't have a way to post them, but I haven't added them to my Mazda 5 thread yet. Since the Safeguard doesn't allow any overhang, it's incompatible in the 3rd row, but apparently it was fine in the 2nd row. I can't imagine any carseat being an issue in the 2nd row, honestly. Everything I've installed there so far has been a breeze.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Covet, covet... Yeah, I LOVE sliding doors, and have a single garage door at a 90 degree angle to the driveway...dh can get my van in there, but no way can I do it without a 900 point turn...:eek: That's why I need this car :). DH keeps pointing at fancier things and I reject them because they don't have sliding doors. If Mercedes or BMW would do a little market research with 'young' mothers, they might get with the program and design something with sliding doors :whistle:

jewlsvern

I second that on sliding doors. I have a CX-9 as a temp car and can hardly open the doors in my garage to get DD out of her car seat. I so miss my Mazda 5. I will have it in 2 weeks when I arrive in VA.

teekadog

Before we bought, I thought I wanted ESC, and was upset the 5 didn't have it. During test drives with the Toyota Sienna and Hyundai Entourage, it was easy to feel the ESC engaging. Almost creepy. The 5 drives so much like a good little car, I never feel any need for ESC-- though you will want better tires.

niccig

DH likes the idea of the Mazda 5. He was trying to convince me on getting a minivan a few months back. That's way too big for us. I do want sliding doors though. We may go test drive tomorrow. We don't need a car until end of June, but we want to take our time test driving, and working out what will be best for our situation.

ETA what tires did everyone put on the car? I have no clue about tires.

southpawboston

the mazda5 stock tires are the same as the mazda3's, which are "sport" tires, meaning they handle really well and are super-responsive in dry, warmer climates but do horribly in snow and ice. they do so poorly in the snow and ice that i think it should be a crime to label them as "all season".

the first thing i did when we bought our mazda in the summer time was to invest in a dedicated set of winter tires mounted on their own rims. i keep them stored in the basement and i just swap them for the stock tires and rims at the start of winter, then back again in the spring. check with some tire places, i know that my neighborhood tire store does the bi-annual swap for me for free since i bought the snow tires from them :thumbsup:.

it's probably the best safety investment you can make for your car.

the stock tires are good enough in 3-season rain for me that i will wait until they are worn before changing them for some other 3-season tire.

if you want to get an idea of how different tires compare to one another, go to tirerack.com. they have a tire selector function, just input your year make and model... and then you can compare tires for their traction in snow, water, dry... and their comfort and noise levels... the comparator is based on customer ratings and you can read the ratings as well... very neat.

Defrost

I don't know anything about tires, either. All I know was that I might as well have been on ice skates when it snowed this year. I've never had trouble like that - not even in Alaska with my lightweight pickup with bald tires! I posted a pic and the type of tires I got on my Mazda5 thread, and that solved the problem. I've yet to remember to write down my mileage to figure out if the new tires had any affect on my gas mileage, but if it did it was minor because I haven't noticed needing to fill up any more often.

niccig

Thanks for the tire information. I live in SoCal, so snow and rain aren't a real problem. We might be OK with the stock tires, if not, we'll replace them with others, but we won't need snow tires.

I really wanted to test drive today, but no chance. Maybe next week.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the tire information. I live in SoCal, so snow and rain aren't a real problem. We might be OK with the stock tires, if not, we'll replace them with others, but we won't need snow tires.

I really wanted to test drive today, but no chance. Maybe next week.

I'm in CA, too, and have the standard tires on my 2006. No problem at all!

niccig

We didn't have a chance to test drive over the weekend, but I went to the dealer this morning to look at the Mazda 5 in person, while DS was in preschool. DH is annoyed that I went without him :whistle:. Access to the 3rd row was easier than in my SUV. I was able to get to the 3rd row through the gap in the 2 captain's chairs as well as when one captain's chair is pushed forward. I think it was easier because it's lower to the ground and I don't have to climb up and in at the same time. The 3rd row wasn't too bad, but I'm short so I don't need much leg room. On the few times/year when we need the 3rd row, I'll be the one sitting back there. I forgot to try out the 3rd row seat belts, I'll have to do that when we go back.

DH is worried about space for picking up family at the airport with all their luggage. My parents bring several bags, so I said either they bring less (they over pack) or only one of us goes to do the airport pick-up/drop-off. They visit once a year, so it's only 2 trips to the airport. If we need more space for luggage, we can look at roof racks. 90% of the time, it's only DS and I and groceries or a run to Costco, and there's plenty of space for that. It gets much better MPG than my SUV and I'll be able to park in compact parking spots. I hope the test drive goes well, as I really like it.

Oh, and I LOVE as in :love: the sliding doors.

Defrost

DH is worried about space for picking up family at the airport with all their luggage. My parents bring several bags, so I said either they bring less (they over pack) or only one of us goes to do the airport pick-up/drop-off. They visit once a year, so it's only 2 trips to the airport. If we need more space for luggage, we can look at roof racks. 90% of the time, it's only DS and I and groceries or a run to Costco, and there's plenty of space for that. It gets much better MPG than my SUV and I'll be able to park in compact parking spots. I hope the test drive goes well, as I really like it.

So, when your parents visit, you'll have four adults and one child in the vehicle? You could just fold down one of the rear seats. That alone provides quite a bit of room. It wouldn't be fun to sit next to it, though, particularly in a wreck.

Glad you liked it so much! :thumbsup:

southpawboston

If we need more space for luggage, we can look at roof racks.

i love roof racks! they are very handy and work great for situations such as when you have extra family and their luggage. :thumbsup: they do raise the center of gravity, but by a very negligible amount... the weight limit on them is usually 100 lbs.

teekadog

Glad you liked the look-see! Including a roof rack was our deal breaker with the dealership... and we haven't even used it once! I did later put in a net behind the 3rd row, because my groceries kept tumbling out when I'd open the rear hatch at home.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC