2000 Navigator

Kaede's_Mom

Ok this car has forward-of-the-bight seatbelts in the middle row (both outbound, no middle seat) and I have a MA, and we are ERF.

Went to install my MA in the 2000 Navigator to test drive it. My fiance is in love with this beast of a truck and intends to buy it, but guess who has the plesure of driving it evry day-me :thumbsdown:. Anyway I am getting about an inch, or slightly less, movement at the belt path, and I am use to a rock the car install with LATCH. Doesnt help the seats are pretty slick leather.

Any advise on how to get the MA to install correctly? The seat belt doesnt even seam to line up with the lockoffs. I thought about using that non slip shelf liner, but hate the thought of something between my seat and car seat.

Are there any seats out right now that would work well with this kind of belt path, if the MA isnt going to work? I dont want to buy a new seat, but will if need be.

ADS

BW1426

Trying installing the seat as tight as you can, then unbuckling the seat belt, ratcheting it a little more then really pushing into the seat to buckle the belt. I share your sentiments...there is little that bothers me more than a seat the is installed tight enough by the one inch rule, but not rock solid. Car seats that wiggle drive my crazy :eek:

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about something thin between the carseat and seat, such as a thin towel. I would think that non slip shelf liner would be thin enough as well. From what I've read, the issue is using something too thick and then on impact it compresses and allows for excess movement of the seat. I don't see a lot of compression occuring in anything that thin as in the definite no-nos like the seat mats they sell to go under the carseats.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sometimes with forward-of-the-bight seat belts you have to start with the carseat's belt path lined up with the buckles. Which means you end up with a gap between the carseat's base and the vehicle seat, and more recline than you're used to. I don't consider this preferable, personally, but it can be acceptable. As far as I know there are no safety concerns with this method - most of the carseat is still touching the vehicle seat, and FF recline varies considerably from one vehicle/one carseat to the next anyway.

I have to do this in my vehicle's 3rd row, depending on the carseat. What I normally do in other vehicles is put the carseat on the seat and then when I'm installing, I cram it as deep into the vehicle seat back and bottom as much as I can. But that doesn't work very well with forward-of-the-bight seat belts. What I have to do in my 3rd row is set the carseat on the vehicle seat, then grab the front of the base and pull it forward a little until the belt path lines up with the buckle. Then I install the carseat by pushing straight down only, not pushing it back at all. Once I've got it as tight as possible that way, I pinch the seat belt at the latchplate, unbuckle, tighten the seat belt a bit more, then have someone compress the carseat again while I re-buckle. This is the only way I can get good installs in my 3rd row.

Here's a picture similar to what I'm describing (how I don't have a picture of my own vehicle I don't know!) This isn't my vehicle, it's my friend's Chrysler T&C. This carseat is installed with LATCH, but this is the same position I'm talking about above. See the slight gap between the vehicle seat bight and the carseat?

IMG_1796.jpg

Try setting your carseat on the vehicle seat like that and then installing it; then unbuckle, tighten a bit more, and re-buckle. It's easiest if you have someone helping you with that last part! :thumbsup:

Kaede's_Mom

Just a friendly bump :)

Another thing I found wierd is the FF teathers. It has these strap looking things with a small loop on the end for the FF teathers. I looked in the owners manual and sure enough that is what the teather is. I have never seen teathers like this before.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC