recaro start problem fit for 7yr old

susanna

I am having the following problem. I bought the recaro start for my 7 yr old who is fairly short and thin for his age (in 25% in both categories) and he has developped a sensitivity to the cover of the Recaro. doesn't like to sit back in it and so leans forward. the seatbelt therefore slips down his shoulder. All in all, I am not getting him to sit well in it and am really concerned. He likes to recline the seat so he is in more of a lying down position on long drives. I need to get some advice help in making him safe. my DH won't want to buy another seat for him, but if the Recaro is not safe, I will insist. Any advice would be most appreciated.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
How much does he weigh? How tall is he? That is not safe. If he can't sit correctly, then something else must be done. Regent?

scatterbunny

I agree with previous poster, if he isn't sitting properly so the seatbelt fits right, it isn't safe.

What exactly is the sensitivity he's having? The material of the cover is bothering him? I *believe* all Recaro Start covers are the same plushy fabric, but I could be wrong.

I'd say at least a new booster is in order, if the Start bothers him so much he won't sit properly. It's a great booster, but not every seat works for every child. My own was so uncomfortable in the Britax Parkway that we sold it, although I still feel it's a great booster for lots of people and situations.

Also, he should not be reclining the vehicle seat more than a notch or two.

arly1983

If he fits in a turbo booster that would be a great inexpensive seat for you. I think almost all of their covers are non-plush and maybe he could pick out his own. You could probably sell the start and easily make up the price and then maybe buy a monteray or some other taller booster with the money left over.

susanna

yes, the material bothers him because he has sensitivities "it scratchy" or "makes a noise against his jacket"., its hard to tell what will bug him in this sense but its a real issue. Its an expensive seat too! But he is not happy in it and I find the latch system on the belt annoying myself. Perhaps I should look at Britax and see if he will sit better in one like that. What can I do with the Recaro? will be it ok if I store for several years until my rather tall baby of 6 months grows into it or should I try to sell it?

BW1426

I'd definately sell it. I'm almost positive the recaro only lasts 6 years. Such a bummer :( they sure are expensive. The black regent isn't plush, but I'd be leary if you need to use the long belt path install because not all cars have long enough seat belts for this. If you think a non-plush booster would work you could try the recaro vivo lite.

Last edited by a moderator:

susanna

How much do I sell one for after a couple of years? and if I need him to try it out that means I am pretty much limited to what our local shops have, otherwise it would mean buying and returning car seats. Hmm.. but you have convinced me, that I need to get him a seat that he is comfortable in and SAFE

BW1426

If you have a Right Start close by, they have a great selection of seats. http://www.rightstart.com/global/locator/ I'd stear clear of Recaro seats as I they are all out of the fabric. If plush bothers him I think the Radian 80 in supercool, the black regent (just keep the long belt path in mind), or wait on the britax frontier. Another think I love about the Radian is that they last 8 years instead of 6.

HEVY

I believe depreciation is 17% of the original price, then each year subtract 17% from that price.
So for something that costs $200 would be $34 subtracted the first year to equal $166. Then $166 times 17% minus $28.22 the next year and so on. Most ppl don't do this cause they lose a lot of money.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Recaros do NOT expire :). The lockoff is NOT required to be locked for children over 40 pounds. And the covers aren't all plush (but the replacement covers are, so I won't get all NOT-y about that, lol).
So the price would hopefully be about what people could get it reasonably... Sam's Club sells them for about $250, I got mine for $199 on clearance... not sure how much you paid, but just knock off a percentage for the 'newness' being gone and go for it. (we have a swap section you can post in if you have been a member long enough or pay to be a sponsor :thumbsup:)

BW1426

And the covers aren't all plush (but the replacement covers are, so I won't get all NOT-y about that, lol).

I'd love to find the Recaros without plush covers. Could you point me in the right direction?

Recaros do NOT expire :)

This is NOT true. The Recaro Start does not mention an expiration date, but all their other seats mention a six year expiration date.

Straight from the Como manual "Discontinue use of your Como child restraint that is older than six
years or has been in a severe crash to prevent injury due to
deterioration or hidden damage. See date of manufacture, located on
restraint."

"Discontinue use of your Vivo or Vivo lite child restraint that is older than
six years or has been in a severe crash to prevent injury due to
deterioration or hidden damage. See date of manufacture, located on
restraint."

With that said, if you love the Recaro Start and you can't find anyone to buy it for a reasonable price, I'd keep it. Also, did you realize that Recaro sells a footrest for use with just the Recaro Start?

Last edited:

scatterbunny

The shoulderbelt lockoff on the Start bothered my dd for a long time (I loved the secureness of it, tight like a harness, almost), but then we figured out (thanks to Jools :p ) that the lockoff is not required. Now we leave it open and the belt slides freely.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry about not saying the Recaro START doesn't expire. I forgot to be so specific, given that the thread was already about that seat :eek:. (The start is A) Aluminum...nothing to break down, B) not a harnessed seat, no straps to get destroyed or rip through the shell in a crash. The others are just like standard seats, so expiration dates are reasonable.).

I'd still sell it if you don't like it, OP...I used to have the older Start, with no headwings, when my son was too young to buckle himself, and it was really not the seat for us at the time. Now that both kids are older we love it. Our seats are 2003, the covers are more cottony, but they were bought on clearance before alll the 'fancy' velour covers came out. I'm sorry your kiddo doesn't like his (kids are so funny about preferences, aren't they?)

BW1426

The manual doesn't specify, but do you know if the Young Sport in booster mode also doesn't have an expiration date as it is on an aluminum frame?

southpawboston

The manual doesn't specify, but do you know if the Young Sport in booster mode also doesn't have an expiration date as it is on an aluminum frame?

i've heard form various online sources that the YS has an aluminum frame, but i think that might only apply to the european market version, which are different than the US version. mine (US version) is definitely not aluminum, unless there is a hidden aluminum frame inside the double-walled blown plastic shell. :confused:

U

Unregistered

Not all RECARO seats have the plush material. They have the Vivo Lite Booster that is a lighweight seat and has a recline function.

If you have a Right Start close by, they have a great selection of seats. http://www.rightstart.com/global/locator/ I'd stear clear of Recaro seats as I they are all out of the fabric. If plush bothers him I think the Radian 80 in supercool, the black regent (just keep the long belt path in mind), or wait on the britax frontier. Another think I love about the Radian is that they last 8 years instead of 6.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC