Confusing Evenflo FAQ answer about when a top tether MUST be used

scatterbunny

Question:
When must I use the top tether strap with my Traditions booster seat?

Answer:
The top tether strap must be used with automobile belt systems that do not lock except in sudden stops or impacts and for belt systems that do not keep a child restraint from moving more than one inch forward or backwards or side to side. NOTE: This only applies when using the five-point harness with the booster seat. A tether kit can be ordered by calling the Evenflo ParentLink Consumer Resource Center at (800) 233-5921 or (937) 773-3971.

So, they are saying that the top tether is required if you are installing with ELR belts? :confused: Since when? Sure, a locking clip would be required with ELR belts, but our FMVSS laws do not require a top tether, there are only special circumstances that do require a top tether (and we all pretty much know what those are; Britax seats over 65#, Safeguard Go, etc.).

Anyone with an Evenflo Traditions (or really, any Evenflo seat) want to check your manual over for a top tether requirement if you are installing with ELR belts?

Also, the second part of that answer says you must use the top tether if your seat moves side-to-side or forward more than one inch. :rolleyes: We all know that's an improper install whether or not a tether is used. The tether won't really fix a bad install.

ADS

scatterbunny

And this one...

Question:
When should I use the locking clip with a five-point harness restraint with the Traditions booster seat?

Answer:
Use a locking clip (found under restraint) with lap/shoulder belt combinations that have a buckle tongue that slides freely along the belt without locking into place.

Ummm...what about belts that lock at the retractor? :confused: Those would/could have free-sliding latchplates but would not need a locking clip (except in rare situations, like a tipping rear-facing seat).

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
And this one...

Question:
When should I use the locking clip with a five-point harness restraint with the Traditions booster seat?

Answer:
Use a locking clip (found under restraint) with lap/shoulder belt combinations that have a buckle tongue that slides freely along the belt without locking into place.

Yeah, that one got me good on my Titan. I used the locking clip because I thought I had to (my belts are switchable rectractors.) Thankfully, the woman who used to run carseatdata.org (who's name I sadly cannot recall at the moment :eek:) made me realize I didn't have to.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I just got a Cosco Commuter/Ventura from freecycle. Let's see....

Interesting. It doesn't mention switchable retractors either, just locking latchplates and ELR-only seatbelts.

No top tether allowed for booster mode, though. Seriously, I'd bet less than 10% of people who own this carseat EVER use that top tether in any case. It's the kind with no adjuster. It actually says in the instructions "Attach hook to anchor, check fit, repeat steps if necessary." Um, yeah, repeat steps all freaking day...

This is fun! We should play with crappy carseats more often. :D

mish

I was confused about an evenflo manual last week. It said to use the top tether when installing in a position with elr lapbelts. It didn't mention a belt shortening clip. It just said you have to use a tether in order to tightly install in that position. I don't have the exact wording because I don't have the manual with me.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Graco also (used to?) say you must use the LC with any free sliding latchplate (they ignore the retractor...which in the case of the Snugride, well... yeah, so did I, lol...LC kept it from tipping anyway!)

But the ELR requiring a top tether? I've been wondering about that for years, maybe it's time to ask CPSPList and see if one of the smart folks knows (or hang around them at Lifesavers, it'll give you a conversation starter, lol)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My EFTA manual says that the top tether can be used to improve a loose installation, and must be used in the case of ELR. It also says to use a locking clip with vehicle belts that have a free sliding latchplate.

I called Evenflo and asked specifically whether a locking clip had to be used if the vehicle seatbelt could be locked at the retractor and was told that if I could lock the seatbelts without the locking clip, the locking clip was not necessary.

IMO Evenflo was likely trying to simplify things assuming people wouldn't be able to figure out if they had switchable retractors or ELR only, so just flat out put use a locking clip if your latchplate slides. :rolleyes: Although the manual does say in numerous places to refer to your vehicle owners manuals and always defer to them when the instructions differ - most vehicle manuals would say how belts lock and that a locking clip isn't necessary, so maybe that's the reason?

And maybe they're wanting to ensure the seat is top tethered when a locking clip is being used to reduce head excursion? Maybe the shoulder belt when in ALR mode reduces head excursion somewhat?

Just guessing... I've wondered some of the same things.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Graco also (used to?) say you must use the LC with any free sliding latchplate (they ignore the retractor...which in the case of the Snugride, well... yeah, so did I, lol...LC kept it from tipping anyway!)

But the ELR requiring a top tether? I've been wondering about that for years, maybe it's time to ask CPSPList and see if one of the smart folks knows (or hang around them at Lifesavers, it'll give you a conversation starter, lol)

The wording in the snugride manual is funny because it tells you to use a locking clip with a free sliding latchplate, but then immediately after says you don't have to if your vehicle belts can be locked. This is just from the first snugride model manual I clicked on (it actually happens to be an older 3 pt 20lb 26" seat, but I know the new ones have the same wording.)

http://www.elfe.net/common/sitemedia/pdf18602GMP_ISPC019CB Manual.pdf
Combination Lap/Shoulder Belt with Sliding Latch Plate
This belt has a latchplate that slides freely along the belt.
This belt MUST be converted to prevent movement of the lap portion of the belt. You must use the locking clip provided with the infant restraint, unless your vehicle's seat belt can be converted in another way as described in your vehicle owner's manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC