Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

is the Cosco HBB obsolete?

Hi, I had another thread going about seats that harness to 40 lbs....but I'm just now noticing that things like the Cosco HBB also harness to 40# (and 43"...anyone know the top slot height?). Just wondering if things like the Nautilus have rendered these seats obsolete?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Re: is the Cosco HBB obsolete?

It's still out there.

But it's top slots are actually SHORTER than a Scenera or Touriva.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Walmart still routinely has huge cages full of them for $43 next to the baby department. And a fancy new name, Gotham, for the same old seat (better booster belt guides, at least).

I wish they'd go away, but they are so cheap to churn out and sell, they probably won't for a long time
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

so you wouldn't recommend them?

sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot

I have one. The top slot is 15". Then next one down is somewhere around 12". We bought it when we knew nothing about car seats. I wouldn't recommend it. We've seen them at walmart as recently as this week. (The kids remark- "hey that's K's old seat.") (K has just been put in a rfing scenera.)

Christine

I *wish* it were obsolete.
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I don't think this is the wrong place, it's just a very open ended question you asked. As far as I'm concerned, it was obsolete about a year after it was introduced, because the old Century and Graco and Evenflo seats (and even some convertibles) have always had taller top slots and acted better as boosters

PS, moved it to chat, didn't even realize where it was before, lol.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2wild View Post
    so you wouldn't recommend them?

sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot
    IMO, the only possible reason to recommend them is if there is absolutely no way a family could afford anything else -- the base models are pretty cheap. The harness slots are low and it is just barely adequate as a booster. They are better than nothing, but that's about the highest praise I can come up with.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Carseat Crazy

thanks everyone!
    still looking for that perfect seat for grandma and grandpa....but i know for
    sure this isn't it