OK to stop booster??

md_mommy

My DD will be turning 10 in June - she's about 54" and weighs about 65 to 70#. One of the things she wants is to stop using her TurboBooster. She has been resisting it's use for quite a few months now, and has experimented with no booster in DH's car for some short trips.

I know it's safest to keep them as long as possible, but would it be terrible to let her out of the booster now?

Thanks for the advice!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Does she fit in the seatbelt? Does her bum fit all the way at the back of the seat, feet flat on the floor, lapbelt low on the thighs, shoulderbelt on the shoulder, and can she sit that way the whole trip? If so, then yes, it's ok to retire it. But if not? No.

My ds is that age and size, and has at least a year before he'll fit in the seatbelt.

Check out the videos on this page... you really want to use a booster till puberty is well underway, so the hips are strong enough to hold the seatbelt low to prevent submarining http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=382015

A larger booster might be more comfortable for her, too... Cosco High Rise, Graco Air, or Combi Dakota are great, or a better padded, more low profile seat like the Clek Olli might suit her better now.

:)

sirrahn

A larger booster might be more comfortable for her, too... Cosco High Rise, Graco Air, or Combi Dakota are great, or a better padded, more low profile seat like the Clek Olli might suit her better now.

:thumbsup: I went through this with my similarly sized 10 yr old a few months ago. He was complaining about his booster nearly every ride, but really does not fit well without it. He likes his new Clek Olli though and has even commented unprompted about how comfortable it is. He also has a High Rise/Ambassador in DH's car, and although it's not nearly as padded, it has a more comfortable shape than the Turbo (which he never liked when we tried it out) and he's always ridden in it without comment although he's rarely in DH's car for a long ride.

GL!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Using seatbelt only varies greatly between vehicles and seating positions.

My nephews (9 & 11) are "okay" on the bench of their van & Yukon. They still have some growing to do for my back seat (Camry), the captain's chairs in their van or grandpa's car.

I've pushed for continued booster use & HWH (loaned them my Airway) in their Yukon (center lap belt only) but didn't get very far. Younger nephew is 60-65 lbs w/20" torso so could easily still be in booster. DN is 6 / 48lbs and uses BB in truck and HB Turbo in van. I lobbied for another HHB or HWH seat and was unsuccessful. But I was successful in getting the missing headrest reinstalled for DN in BB!

md_mommy

:)

You know, looking at the "test" she probably should be in a booster for a bit longer. She has long legs, and looks like she sits properly, but is just getting to that point.

I hadn't even thought of trying another type of booster.

I :love: the Olli (DD is a "Cheetah Girl" fan and would love the cheetah cover, but I don't think I can spend $90 on a booster right now :(.

The Combi looks nice, maybe I'll go by BRU to see what they've got...

Thanks again for everyone's answers!

Kat_Momof3

Of course, she may stop bugging if you get her a growth chart (or make one... nothing like a fun craft!) and mark off where 4'9" is... and where 5' tall is.

4'9" can be where you check her for the 5-step test again... and if she passes it with flying colors, she can come out of her booster.

5' is where, if she didn't pass the first time and hasn't outgrown the booster, you will check again.

Seeing that there is a time in the forseeable future when she will get to the point where she doesn't need her booster may make her feel better.

After all, we're talking about 3" till she should pass it more likely... and then 4 more inches after that where it would be almost impossible for her not to pass unless you have a tricky vehicle.

While 3" could take awhile, at her age, it could just be one quick spurt and she's there, so you never know.

Kat_Momof3

oh, and if you make a chart, while you're making it, you can talk... remind her of all the reasons she needs her booster for safety.

aisraeltax

my 10 yo passes the test in my car but not in our new SUV...so he's getting a new Marathon..and this is for a kid that hasnt been in a booster in a few years. :( I had him look at options with me and he chose which one and which color etc. etc. It worked out well for us, though he was resistant in teh beginning.

good luck!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
my 10 yo passes the test in my car but not in our new SUV...so he's getting a new Marathon..and this is for a kid that hasnt been in a booster in a few years. :( I had him look at options with me and he chose which one and which color etc. etc. It worked out well for us, though he was resistant in teh beginning.

good luck!

Do you mean Regent? Most kids outgrow the Marathon by 6 years old at the latest... there are a few exceptions, but I've never heard of a 10 year old fitting in one. :D

If she passes the 5 step test, then she can come out of the booster. :)

TerisBoys

I think she meant Monarch (that's what's in her siggy).

My almost 12yo just went back into a backless booster in my van. Not because he doesn't pass the 5 step test, but because my seats are REALLY low and he'd slouch to make his legs comfy :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC