Buckle up please mr. taxi driver

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So today I ended up going out to get ds to an emergency dentist visit. There wasn't appropriate bus service to the area, so we had to take a cab... thankfully I just happen to have 2 extra carseats in my basement, otherwise the cab would've been out and dh would've had to leave work early.

(See, there's a reason for extra seats, there really is. :whistle: )

Anyways, I called and booked a cab asking for one that was 2002 or newer. Of course I realized after I got off the phone that not all 2002 vehicles had to be LATCH compliant. Would figure that the cab that picks us up didn't have lower anchors. Thankfully both radian's went in amazingly easy with seatbelts, it was a chrysler with lightweight locking latchplates, and both seats were easy peasy even on leather seats...

So anyways, get carseats in car, get kids in car, get myself in car, and taxi driver starts driving away. I notice that he's not wearing his seatbelt, and so I'm sitting there trying to get up the nerve to ask him to buckle up. :eek:

So I finally got up the nerve to ask him to put on his seatbelt and boy was he shocked. LOL. Then he told me he didn't have to wear one. :rolleyes: I told him yeah, I didn't care if he had to wear one, I was asking him to wear one because I didn't want him to be a projectile. :cool:

So he buckled up. And I was happy. And I gained some insight into why people don't use carseats on cabs when it's not required by law... it's a huge PITA and taxi drivers are not the friendliest creatures in the world. :whistle:

And I also discovered the huge benefit of leaving a child in a carseat to move from one place to another. I'm sure I was quite the sight picking up the carseat with ds still in it and just carrying him like that... it meant I could move him and dd's carseat in stages though without him trying to wander off. And as a bonus I was asked by the reception at the dentist office about my folding carseats. LOL

(Picture trying to manage 2 radians, an almost 18mo old, a 3.5yr old, and a small diaper bag - all without the aid of a stroller. :eek: Thank goodness dh was able to pick us up. And yep, this is the condensed version. LOL)

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Good for you! I always reccomend to parents that they have at least one extra seat per child, you just never know what will happen. We were out w/ my parents last year on vacation and I had to tell them to buckle up! They did it, but I don't think they got why. It would've been bad b/c they were in the 3rd row behind my rfing kid.

BudgieStew

Wow...sounds like an afternoon. I can picture what it would be like for myself and I am almost in tears just thinking about it.

Hope your dentist visit went well for your son.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC