How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

jewlsvern

I had my car seat checked by a tech before DD was born and came to find out later he had installed the seat wrong. Used both a locking clip and locking seat belts. I need to get my DD seat checked and my niece's seat checked. We are driving from CA to VA in 2 weeks and I want to make sure the seats are installed correctly before the long drive. How do I know I am getting a tech who knows what they are doing? What is the best way to find one?
Julie
DD 13 mo RF in a SR
17 lbs and 28 in

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Well technically---if they are a tech, they are qualified. But not all techs keep up on their info.

We have a number of techs in VA...and probably some in CA too. Are you near a big city in CA? Post the biggest city you are close to and maybe someone will volunteer to meet up with you.

Susan

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Do a post asking for tech recommendations in your part of CA? To be honest, it seems that unless someone has a passion about CPS, they aren't likely to be up to date or excel at what they do. I'd trust a tech here any day over cold calling one in your area.

If you can't find a tech here, I'd look for an actual Safe Kids event instead of a local tech at a fire dept or police station who are likely to be required to become certified because of their jobs, or if that doesn't work, search the database for an instructor, that's extra dedication -- though they MAY still not be up to date as instructors. Safe Kids volunteers WANT to be at events (IME anyways), and even if there are new techs, there are more experienced techs that go over everything to make sure it's correct.

https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...tegory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL

jewlsvern

I live in Irvine (Orange County), CA. I really want to find someone who is going to give me correct informtion.
Thanks,
Julie

jubgulia

Hey, I live in Anaheim! I have been wanting to find a tech too and possibly do a check for a mom's group. Anyone in OC?

littleangelfire

Just wanted to mention (tech pipe in please, in case I'm mistaken!) It is not wrong to use a locking clip with a locking belt, unless its a lap belt only. In fact, it is a recommended fix for rear facing seats if they tilt when using the lap/shoulder belt installation and relying on the locking mechanism of the belt.
Its not wrong, its just not usually needed.

U

Unregistered1

Just wanted to mention (tech pipe in please, in case I'm mistaken!) It is not wrong to use a locking clip with a locking belt, unless its a lap belt only. In fact, it is a recommended fix for rear facing seats if they tilt when using the lap/shoulder belt installation and relying on the locking mechanism of the belt.
Its not wrong, its just not usually needed.

If it can be avoided, a locking clip should never be used with a belt that locks on its own. It's just not necessary, it makes the install harder, which leaves more room for error. I hate locking clips. It is often recommended to use a locking clip if you have a switchable retractor (vehicle belt locks at the shoulder belt portion rather than the latchplate) and it pulls up on the car seat causing it to tilt when locked in. In that case the belt should be left in emergency locking retractor mode (not pulled all the way out and racheted back in) when using the locking clip.
If you have a locking latchplate there really is no reason to use a locking clip, the above situation is really the only case in which you would need a locking clip in a vehicle belt that locks on its own.
HTH :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had my car seat checked by a tech before DD was born and came to find out later he had installed the seat wrong. Used both a locking clip and locking seat belts. I need to get my DD seat checked and my niece's seat checked. We are driving from CA to VA in 2 weeks and I want to make sure the seats are installed correctly before the long drive. How do I know I am getting a tech who knows what they are doing? What is the best way to find one?
Julie
DD 13 mo RF in a SR
17 lbs and 28 in

If the seat is solidly installed at the belt path and not tipping, I wouldn't worry about it being wrong. You could post some pictures or videos and see if we see anything wrong with it. www.carseat.org is based near you, maybe drop them an email and see if they can refer you to someone they trust. And when you get to VA, Becky and I will meet up with you and teach you how to install your convertible :thumbsup: (we're good techs, so we won't do it for you, lol).
:)

littleangelfire

If it can be avoided, a locking clip should never be used with a belt that locks on its own. It's just not necessary, it makes the install harder, which leaves more room for error. I hate locking clips. It is often recommended to use a locking clip if you have a switchable retractor (vehicle belt locks at the shoulder belt portion rather than the latchplate) and it pulls up on the car seat causing it to tilt when locked in. In that case the belt should be left in emergency locking retractor mode (not pulled all the way out and racheted back in) when using the locking clip.
If you have a locking latchplate there really is no reason to use a locking clip, the above situation is really the only case in which you would need a locking clip in a vehicle belt that locks on its own.
HTH :)

I hate locking clips, too, and hope I never have to use one again, lol. But, if that was the only thing that was making OP believe the tech wasn't qualified I wanted to let her know that that's not wrong, so it doesn't mean the tech didn't know his stuff. He may have had a reason for doing it that way.

jubgulia

I'm in MV and my mom is in FV and I'd love to get both our cars checked.
- Diane

Hi Diane. You can PM LISmama810 or here are a couple checks coming up that I found on Safe Kids:

April 24 at Brea Community Center
May 6 at Angels Stadium
by appointment only call (714) 532-8631

jewlsvern

If the seat is solidly installed at the belt path and not tipping, I wouldn't worry about it being wrong. You could post some pictures or videos and see if we see anything wrong with it. www.carseat.org is based near you, maybe drop them an email and see if they can refer you to someone they trust. And when you get to VA, Becky and I will meet up with you and teach you how to install your convertible :thumbsup: (we're good techs, so we won't do it for you, lol).
:)

Thanks,
I figured out when my DD was 3 months old that it was wrong (locking clip and the belt was locked), but by then we had a different car and had moved the seat and now have it installed with LATCH. A tech at a class I went to explained how to install it and checked my DD in her seat so I think since then I have been doing it right but I don't know for sure and with a LONG drive ahead of us I want to be sure. I am buying a EFTA and Scenara when I get to VA (Richmond area) and would love to have a tech check my install. I like to make the harness tight and sometimes it might be too tight. Plus its a new seat.

jewlsvern

Thanks,
I am a big researcher (is that even a word). I like to do a lot of research especially when it comes to my child. I like be informed and able to do things for myself. I just need someone to make sure I have done it correctly or teach me how to. I just saw athe EFTA today and I love it. I can't wait to get mine. I am waiting until I get to VA to prevent having to move it. Plus tax is cheaper there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC