Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    587

    How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    I had my car seat checked by a tech before DD was born and came to find out later he had installed the seat wrong. Used both a locking clip and locking seat belts. I need to get my DD seat checked and my niece's seat checked. We are driving from CA to VA in 2 weeks and I want to make sure the seats are installed correctly before the long drive. How do I know I am getting a tech who knows what they are doing? What is the best way to find one?
    Julie
    DD 13 mo RF in a SR
    17 lbs and 28 in

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,226

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Well technically---if they are a tech, they are qualified. But not all techs keep up on their info.

    We have a number of techs in VA...and probably some in CA too. Are you near a big city in CA? Post the biggest city you are close to and maybe someone will volunteer to meet up with you.

    Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

  4. #3
    Senior Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Do a post asking for tech recommendations in your part of CA? To be honest, it seems that unless someone has a passion about CPS, they aren't likely to be up to date or excel at what they do. I'd trust a tech here any day over cold calling one in your area.

    If you can't find a tech here, I'd look for an actual Safe Kids event instead of a local tech at a fire dept or police station who are likely to be required to become certified because of their jobs, or if that doesn't work, search the database for an instructor, that's extra dedication -- though they MAY still not be up to date as instructors. Safe Kids volunteers WANT to be at events (IME anyways), and even if there are new techs, there are more experienced techs that go over everything to make sure it's correct.

    https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap...AFEKIDSCERTSQL
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

  5. #4
    Senior Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    587

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    I live in Irvine (Orange County), CA. I really want to find someone who is going to give me correct informtion.
    Thanks,
    Julie

  6. #5
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    533

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Hey, I live in Anaheim! I have been wanting to find a tech too and possibly do a check for a mom's group. Anyone in OC?

  7. #6
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Just wanted to mention (tech pipe in please, in case I'm mistaken!) It is not wrong to use a locking clip with a locking belt, unless its a lap belt only. In fact, it is a recommended fix for rear facing seats if they tilt when using the lap/shoulder belt installation and relying on the locking mechanism of the belt.
    Its not wrong, its just not usually needed.

  8. #7
    Unregistered1
    Guest

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    Just wanted to mention (tech pipe in please, in case I'm mistaken!) It is not wrong to use a locking clip with a locking belt, unless its a lap belt only. In fact, it is a recommended fix for rear facing seats if they tilt when using the lap/shoulder belt installation and relying on the locking mechanism of the belt.
    Its not wrong, its just not usually needed.
    If it can be avoided, a locking clip should never be used with a belt that locks on its own. It's just not necessary, it makes the install harder, which leaves more room for error. I hate locking clips. It is often recommended to use a locking clip if you have a switchable retractor (vehicle belt locks at the shoulder belt portion rather than the latchplate) and it pulls up on the car seat causing it to tilt when locked in. In that case the belt should be left in emergency locking retractor mode (not pulled all the way out and racheted back in) when using the locking clip.
    If you have a locking latchplate there really is no reason to use a locking clip, the above situation is really the only case in which you would need a locking clip in a vehicle belt that locks on its own.
    HTH

  9. #8
    Car-Seat.Org Zealot skaterbabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    9,962

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    With some seats it's necessary though, because of the tilting issue. It's not wrong.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

  10. #9
    CPS Technician
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,226

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    With some seats it's necessary though, because of the tilting issue. It's not wrong.
    Just to add/clarify that if you are using a locking clip to correct the tilting issue then you should NOT lock the belt.

    Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

  11. #10
    Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    21,249

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by jewlsvern View Post
    I had my car seat checked by a tech before DD was born and came to find out later he had installed the seat wrong. Used both a locking clip and locking seat belts. I need to get my DD seat checked and my niece's seat checked. We are driving from CA to VA in 2 weeks and I want to make sure the seats are installed correctly before the long drive. How do I know I am getting a tech who knows what they are doing? What is the best way to find one?
    Julie
    DD 13 mo RF in a SR
    17 lbs and 28 in
    If the seat is solidly installed at the belt path and not tipping, I wouldn't worry about it being wrong. You could post some pictures or videos and see if we see anything wrong with it. www.carseat.org is based near you, maybe drop them an email and see if they can refer you to someone they trust. And when you get to VA, Becky and I will meet up with you and teach you how to install your convertible (we're good techs, so we won't do it for you, lol).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

  12. #11
    Car-Seat.Org Zealot skaterbabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    9,962

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMae View Post
    Just to add/clarify that if you are using a locking clip to correct the tilting issue then you should NOT lock the belt.

    Susan
    Yes, absolutely
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

  13. #12
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissKatie View Post
    If it can be avoided, a locking clip should never be used with a belt that locks on its own. It's just not necessary, it makes the install harder, which leaves more room for error. I hate locking clips. It is often recommended to use a locking clip if you have a switchable retractor (vehicle belt locks at the shoulder belt portion rather than the latchplate) and it pulls up on the car seat causing it to tilt when locked in. In that case the belt should be left in emergency locking retractor mode (not pulled all the way out and racheted back in) when using the locking clip.
    If you have a locking latchplate there really is no reason to use a locking clip, the above situation is really the only case in which you would need a locking clip in a vehicle belt that locks on its own.
    HTH
    I hate locking clips, too, and hope I never have to use one again, lol. But, if that was the only thing that was making OP believe the tech wasn't qualified I wanted to let her know that that's not wrong, so it doesn't mean the tech didn't know his stuff. He may have had a reason for doing it that way.

  14. #13
    Carseat Crazy The Bjorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    So Calif - Orange County
    Posts
    337

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    I have been wanting to find a tech too and possibly do a check for a mom's group. Anyone in OC?
    I'm in MV and my mom is in FV and I'd love to get both our cars checked.
    - Diane

  15. #14
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    533

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bjorns View Post
    I'm in MV and my mom is in FV and I'd love to get both our cars checked.
    - Diane
    Hi Diane. You can PM LISmama810 or here are a couple checks coming up that I found on Safe Kids:

    April 24 at Brea Community Center
    May 6 at Angels Stadium
    by appointment only call (714) 532-8631

  16. #15
    Senior Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    587

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    If the seat is solidly installed at the belt path and not tipping, I wouldn't worry about it being wrong. You could post some pictures or videos and see if we see anything wrong with it. www.carseat.org is based near you, maybe drop them an email and see if they can refer you to someone they trust. And when you get to VA, Becky and I will meet up with you and teach you how to install your convertible (we're good techs, so we won't do it for you, lol).
    Thanks,
    I figured out when my DD was 3 months old that it was wrong (locking clip and the belt was locked), but by then we had a different car and had moved the seat and now have it installed with LATCH. A tech at a class I went to explained how to install it and checked my DD in her seat so I think since then I have been doing it right but I don't know for sure and with a LONG drive ahead of us I want to be sure. I am buying a EFTA and Scenara when I get to VA (Richmond area) and would love to have a tech check my install. I like to make the harness tight and sometimes it might be too tight. Plus its a new seat.

  17. #16
    Car-Seat.Org Zealot skaterbabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    9,962

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Julie and I would be glad to help you once you get here.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

  18. #17
    Senior Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    587

    Re: How can I find a QUALIFIED tech?

    Thanks,
    I am a big researcher (is that even a word). I like to do a lot of research especially when it comes to my child. I like be informed and able to do things for myself. I just need someone to make sure I have done it correctly or teach me how to. I just saw athe EFTA today and I love it. I can't wait to get mine. I am waiting until I get to VA to prevent having to move it. Plus tax is cheaper there.

Similar Threads

  1. How to find a Tech?
    By Kabes in forum Carseat Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:40 AM
  2. Can't find tech course in my area
    By Momto2whosews in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
  3. How do i find a CPS tech near me?
    By Colleen in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
  4. Where do I find a CPS tech?
    By nursekori in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 10:20 AM
  5. where to find a tech in my area
    By Unregistered in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 06:25 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •