Would you replace?

krystin_21a

On Monday I was backing out of a parking space when I smacked into a pole. It had a concrete casing around the bottom so needless to say I have to get a new bumper (Landrover Discovery 2002). My son was in his set (RF MA) and I wasn't going very fast but I do still have concrete on my bumper. It wasn't bad by no means but when I was on the phone with Geico I asked if they thought I should replace the seat. The lady told me that the claims guy would take a look and see but that if I wanted to purchase a new one they would pay for it and all I needed was a receipt. I asked her what they would do if the cliams guy said that it did not need to be replaced and she asked her supervisor. They said that no matter what, they would replace it. So, my question is, would you take the replacement (and yes, I realize that most, if not all carseat nuts would!), but for a backing out of a parking space accident, would you? I talked to a body shop person to get an estimate and he said that likely the brace behind the bumper would need to be replaced because of the location of the hit. I asked if that was structural (sp?) and he said yes, but I am not totally sure that he knew I was asking for carseat reasons.

ADS

MomToEliEm

Since it was a Britax and the accident sounded minor, I don't think I would replace the seat if it were me. I know I would love a new seat that my insurance might pay for, but I wouldn't want to be wasteful in disposing a good seat that probably wasn't hurt in by the accident just so I could get another newer seat.

southpawboston

i wouldn't replace it. i don't consider that to qualify as a "collision" (as opposed to a parking mishap) and it doesn't sound like it meets britax's criteria, either. i also know the land rover's rear bumper is essentially tin (doesn't have the same required "5 mph bumpers" as passenger cars), and i see them banged up and mangled here all the time, just from parking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC