WWYD?

twinsplusthree

I occasionally pick up my friend's little boy, who at home rarely rides in a booster, and when he does, it is backless (he is 4.5 yo, about 45 lbs). I have a backless booster and an Evenflo Chase that goes to 40 lbs and converts to booster.

If I don't invest in a seat that accomodates him, which would you put him in?

I also have a Como that my 40lb son is in and I'm selfish and don't really want to switch him out so his friend can have that seat, but is that the best? Then my son is in the chase and he is really pushing the limits of the seat.

Also, the Como is in the middle (it's the only seat that will work there) and the chase is driver's outboard. Only place that one fits...

I'd love your opinions.

ADS

twinsplusthree

I know, but I just don't want to buy one. What about using the Chase in the booster mode. Not ideal, but definitely a step up.

I sold her my SS1 for $20 because it's in excellent condition with a brand new harness and I just want her to have something safe. She's really great and a good mom, but not versed in car seat safety.

TerisBoys

Of the two seats you have, I'd use the Chase as a booster.

Make sure the seatbelt fits him ok though - it needs to touch his shoulder.

daycaremom2002

Does he not fit the Chase in booster mode? If he is not too tall, then I would just use that. It is definately better than a backless.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree with using the Chase in booster mode for him. I would not put your child at risk in a 40 lbs seat that he is pushing the limits of to make another child safer. If he fits in the Chase, that's what I would do.

Have you tried talking to his mom about getting him a hbb? Or even talked to her about making sure she is using the backless all the time. Backless might not be ideal but it's better than nothing. I know sometimes it's tough to have the conversations and some parents really are not that interested.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yup, use the Chase in hbb mode. If she's interested, I got my FPSV booster for $35 from albeebaby.com There are probably just as cheap ones at Wal-mart though.

twinsplusthree

I haven't come out and said, He needs to be in a harness or a hbb, but I've told her that the rules in my car are that he has some sort of booster and that he has to wear the belt the correct way (not behind his back). Last time they left here, he didn't have a booster and I made her take my backless one with her. Then when I saw how they buckled him in, I redid it for her. I just said I was bossy (I am) and want him to be safe. I think she took it OK.

I did tell my other girlfriend yesterday that her 27lb girl should not be in a booster, but should be in a harness. She tried to tell me that her ffing seat only went to 20 lbs or something and that her dd was a monster and grew right out of it. I mentioned growing out of the seat by height (but this is not a really tall child), but made suggestions...I don't think she was really buying it.

Oh well, I can only really change what happens in my car!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC