I saw two adults

U

Unregistered1

in five point harnesses yesterday! They had this crazy jeep-looking car with no body, it looked like a kid built it out of K'Nex, and all the seats had integrated 5 pt harnesses! The driver and the passenger were both buckled into them snug.
Take THAT myth that kids shouldn't use a five point harness past five years old! (Yes, I have heard this... my boss's ped told it to her. :mad:)

ADS

jaded

Huh, I wonder if that ped has ever watched a stock car race then. They wear 5pt harnesses too.

5pt's are rather popular for the street mods too(which it sounds like that's what the Jeep was)

Last edited:
U

Unregistered1

And despite the fact that I'm a tech and her ped is not, you know who she's gonna believe... maybe the one with a PhD instead of a 4 day training class? :rolleyes: Peds should really have to take the CPST class.

mish

I saw one of these Saturday! My son was so excited to see adults in 5 pt harnesses. We followed them for a few blocks and it was really cool.

southpawboston

And despite the fact that I'm a tech and her ped is not, you know who she's gonna believe... maybe the one with a PhD instead of a 4 day training class? :rolleyes: Peds should really have to take the CPST class.

peds must be MDs, not PhDs... :whistle:.

and i disagree that peds should have to take a CPST class. (should CPSTs take a course in medicine before dishing out vaccine advice on internet boards? :whistle: :duck: :p ). a ped's job is to know medicine, not carseats. but i agree that a ped should not give carseat advice if he or she is not qualified, and should refer parents to CPSTs rather than try to provide incorrect answers. i would rather have a ped who spent every spare minute of his/her job staying current on medical literature (which is never possible 100%) than taking a carseat course. i know where to go for carseat advice.

skaterbabs

It is my opinion, based on the frequency with which peds give car seat advice, that they SHOULD have to take a course in crash dynamics and injury prevention. They must obtain continuing education anyway, I think a course like that should be required every 5 years.

jubgulia

Strange... I saw one of these today too in the parking lot of my local Henry's (Fullerton, CA)! And that was after reading your post this morning.

Michi

If the peds aren't going to take the classes, it would be nice if they at least had a nurse in their clinic that was a CPST! (There were several nurses in my class, but most of them were either public health nurses or NICU nurses.)

wildeyes

If the peds aren't going to take the classes, it would be nice if they at least had a nurse in their clinic that was a CPST! (There were several nurses in my class, but most of them were either public health nurses or NICU nurses.)

ya know.. i was just thinking about this the other day. i am taking the class in may, and was going to approach my pedi, (one of about 20 in the practice) to see if they wanted to have me as an on-call basis, and if they would let me bring some good brochures. i dont even think they have any...
this way they could give out good info, and a tech for when parents have questions... and if i were on thier payroll, i *might* be covered under their insurance.

MomofOlivia407

DD had her 12 month checkup today at the ped's office. She wanted to make sure that I was still RF her because I needed to "until she is at least 20 pounds"...I asked her if she knew about the benefit of ERF & if she tells her patients about it...she said she knows it is "a new trend" and asked about the kinds of seats that hold 30 pounds or over. I don't know if I got through to her, but I am sure hoping I did! I can give her ALL the info she would ever need :) and more since I am on here every day! I thought about sending her more info on it all...

I also thought about taking a CPST class for the $60 they are here...but I would have to take 3 of my vacation days, and since I have a SIL that is due any day, I really need to save them...I wish they had night classes or something...;)

U

Unregistered1

I wish they had night classes or something...;)

One of the firemen in my class was saying he wished it was only two days and I replied with "what, like sleepover car seat tech class?" :p

& I think you should send your ped more information, especially if she seemed interested and open!

Peony

Many people that are into extreme 4 wheeling wear 5 point harnesses in case of a roll over. We live in an area where were this sport is very popular so I know quite a few people that do it, including my DH. It sounds like you saw a rock buggy, that's what they are often called. ;)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't object to peds taking a CPST course.

However, who needs a CPST course to remember "RF to the limits of the seat" (or, alternatively, "RF until 2 and 30"), "harness to the limits of the seat" (or, alternatively, "harness until at least 4 years AND 40 lbs), and "booster to the requirements of the law AND until child passes 5-step test" I might add "AND until child outgrows booster seat."

OK, I admit the booster one is a little tricky. But seriously, a simple printout posted in each room at the ped's office would do SO much good. No need for the ped to even remember much. I wouldn't expect him or her to come out to my car and actually check my car seats. That's what real CPSTs are for.

:twocents:

skaterbabs

Which is why I think a course like the one I mentioned above is what they need. They don't need to be certified, but they DO need to know exactly what injuries are caused by misuse and legal minimums.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC