Are built in carseats safe?

nadia

I have a 2002 Chevy Venture and it has one 'built in' carseat and I was wondering about the safety of it. It folds out of one of the seats in the second row and has a 5 point harness. My 5 year old sometimes rides in it when one of the big kid car seats is in the other car. Her Britax Marathon will expire in about a year, so I am going to be on the lookout for a new seat and I will buy it sooner rather than later so we can have an extra seat if the safety of the built in is not good.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's safe provided it wasn't involved in a prior crash, and the child isn't too tall for the harness or over the restraint's weight limit. The shoulders can't be above the tallest shoulder harness slot/position, and you can double check the vehicle owner's manual for the built-in's weight limit. One con of the built-ins is that they don't provide as much in the way of side impact protection compared to a child restraint with a shell and/or protective headwings, and they also cannot be moved to another vehicle in the event of car trouble and/or car pooling in another vehicle.

nadia

Thanks!

I was thinking about the side impact aspect, there really would be no protection at all for her in a crash. I guess I'm off to research new seats!

wondering1

I would definitely check to see if she is too tall for the Marathon and also for the built-in seat.

Her shoulder must be at or below the top shoulder harness slot. Also, I believe that her head must have at least 1" of the Marathon shell above.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The 1" rule applies for rear facing, not forward facing. The MA is outgrown by height forward facing when the shoulders are above the top shoulder harness slots, or when the tops of the ears are even with the top of the MA's shell, whichever comes first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC