Did you pay for your CPST class?

Murphy's Law

I'm really excited - I registered to take a CPST class at the end of the month (yay!) and to my surprise, it's free. Is this typical practice?

ADS
U

Unregistered1

I paid $60 to SK Nationwide and $60 to my local agency :eek: Oh well, it was worth it.

If only the class had come with a free Nautilus, I'd be set... :D

fyrfightermomma

Mine was free to both me and the fire department I work for. We agreed to host a class in June in exchange for members of our department to attend for free

skaterbabs

You should have the $60 Safe Kids fee, but it's not unusual for the class itself to be paid for by a grant.

Murphy's Law

I just checked it out online and I guess there typically is a $60 certification fee for Safe Kids, but it's being covered by a grant through the local municipal police association so it's free to me. I think I'm the only one who isn't a cop taking the course, but I'm excited just the same!

scatterbunny

My class was free, paid for with grant money. Also, dd stayed with my Nana, so I was very blessed all the way around. As a SAHM, taking the course and becoming a CPST on a volunteer basis is somewhat a strain on our finances. I am very fortunate to have found the class I found, and have supportive family.

courtfrog2

I tried to get my job to pay for it but they wouldn't. The head of the safe kids here in town paid for me to take the class through a grant! I didn't pay anything. Since then though, I feel I owed her so now I am the head of the carseat commitee and on the board for safe kids here! LOL. She refers to me as the one without the life like her!

Murphy's Law

I hear you on the expense of it, but being a school based occupational therapist and needing to get 36 continuing ed points to renew my OT certification anyway and I'm really thrilled that I can use these hours toward that.

Normally I would have to pay more than $600 for enough course hours to cover it, so this is really great. I will hire sitters to keep my kids all week (gah! What will my babies do without me!?) and I will miss a full day of work, but it will be far less $$ than it would cost me to pay for the contact hours, so this is really a good thing all around. I've wanted to do this for years and I'm really pleased that I finally have the opportunity!

My kids will probably wonder why I've left them for 5 days that week instead of the usual 2, but for something so important it will be worth it to me. :eek:)

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I convinced my employer that she should send me. I also got paid for going :D. Though, I didn't get paid any extra for the 10-11 hour days because of the extra travel time. I decided that I would never want to commute!

U

Unregistered1

I convinced my employer that she should send me. I also got paid for going :D. Though, I didn't get paid any extra for the 10-11 hour days because of the extra travel time. I decided that I would never want to commute!

Commuting SUCKS.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Jenny and I had the same teacher, different years. Mine was also taken care of, with a grant, along with DH's.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I paid $60. Everyone else in my class got it covered by the local Safe Kids, but they didn't want to cover mine, since we were moving a few months later (the stipulation was that you had to volunteer w/ the local Safe Kids so many times over the next 2 years)... however, they covered the class for those who lived 2-3 hours away. Frankly, I think they just didn't like me. :shrug-shoulders:

mommy2env

I havent taken the class, but I have looked at what is available.

The only one that is near me has a $950 fee. The other classes are private. I really enjoy this whole carseat hobby but not THAT much. :eek:

So, if there are any Instructors reading this, please schedule a class in Southern California that is not that expensive. :rolleyes:

Tara

Mine was completely free.
*whew* That was a HUGE help. I would have paid the $60 SK fee as well as a 'reasonable' class fee, but it worked out well that I could go for free. It allowed me to go 'now' rather than 'eventually' :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
$950?? Who is doing the class? That's INSANE!

But it's probably about what it *should* cost :eek:. (Materials, facilities, instructor costs, food....).

Vanessa, keep trying to make contacts, someone will be able to tell you about the next free class (grants fund it, that's how it's free :whistle:)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I paid a $60 fee to SK and that was it. There was a grant and we even had lunch and snacks available to us.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC