ok straighten me out... re: locking clips

Laurette

I have been reading and looking all over and I am not sure I have found the answer yet.

If the seat belt is a ALR but it has freely sliding latchplates do you need to use a locking plate?

ADS

keri1292

If your belt is ALR, it locks at the retractor and you wouldn't use a locking clip. Unless, you had a tippy RFing seat and wanted to straighten it. Then, you would use a locking clip but NOT lock the retractor.

Edit...Posting at the same time as Crunchy. Sorry.

Laurette

I looked there but I didnt see if it said there had to be both.

like I said, the seatbelts do lock but the latchplate just has one hole... IE Not locking at all. It slides very freely.

So is it just user choice?

CRS

Senior Community Member
I looked there but I didnt see if it said there had to be both.

like I said, the seatbelts do lock but the latchplate just has one hole... IE Not locking at all. It slides very freely.

So is it just user choice?

Pretty much so. You just use one or the other, and never both at the same time. But like the others said, if you have a seat that's prone to tipping, don't lock the retractor, just use the locking clip for your free sliding latch plate.

Mommy090804

As well, since we on the topic, I have a question about locking clips...

Is it wrong to use a locking clip with a sliding latchplate and ALR when installing a FFing convertible seat?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Rf'ing and ff'ing seats can both having locking clips used on them. There is rarely a reason to use a locking clip on a ff'ing seat if the seatbelts lock though.

If a carseat has built in lock-offs, a locking clip is NOT allowed unless the carseat manufacturer specifically provides one. (Britax doesn't allow locking clips. The SS1 base can't be installed with a locking clip.)

If you use a locking clip, you do NOT lock the vehicle seatbelt. One or the other, never both. :thumbsup:

eta: Never use a locking clip with a booster.

Mommy090804

I didn't have a chance to edit my post before Trudy answered (thank you!), so I'll add another question...

According to above linked reference, the Dodge/Chrysler latchplates may be flipped to keep them locked tight. I want to make sure I am imagining this right...does that mean that the male end of the belt should be flipped over before buckling? I am asking because it seems odd to have the seatbelt twisted (even half a turn). Do you recommend flipping the buckle before latching the buckle in these vehicles? Yes, I do know that using a locking clip would be an option as well...

CRS

Senior Community Member
FFing seats can or can't have locking clips? I think I heard that somewhere

They can definitely have locking clips of course. If you have an ELR belt with a free sliding latch plate then you'll most likely need a locking clip UNLESS of course, the car seat itself has an inbuilt locking feature of some sort. Really it's dependant on the type of car seat, and the type of seatbelt.

As well, since we on the topic, I have a question about locking clips...

Is it wrong to use a locking clip with a sliding latchplate and ALR when installing a FFing convertible seat?

Use one or the other, NEVER both. So in short, yes it's wrong.

snowbird25ca

According to above linked reference, the Dodge/Chrysler latchplates may be flipped to keep them locked tight. I want to make sure I am imagining this right...does that mean that the male end of the belt should be flipped over before buckling? I am asking because it seems odd to have the seatbelt twisted (even half a turn). Do you recommend flipping the buckle before latching the buckle in these vehicles? Yes, I do know that using a locking clip would be an option as well...

Only flip the buckle if it's necessary to keep the seatbelt locked. And a locking clip shouldn't be used with a lightweight locking latch plate.

If you need to flip the buckle, what you'd do is first buckle the seatbelt and tighten it normally, then unbuckle, flip the latchplate and rebuckle it. It's tricky to try and tighten the seatbelt further once it's flipped, so you'd want to make sure it's tightened before flipping it the half turn.

In vehicles with Lightweight locking latchplates, twisting the buckle stalk will often drop the latchplate down low enough for the lap/shoulder belt to be parallel to each other. As long as they're parallel, the latchplate will lock. In the event that the buckle stalk is really long & 3 full twists isn't sufficient, or that the latchplate still isn't holding, then unbuckling it and flipping a half turn is acceptable. You wouldn't use a locking clip on this type of seatbelt. :)

Mommy090804

Only flip the buckle if it's necessary to keep the seatbelt locked. And a locking clip shouldn't be used with a lightweight locking latch plate.

Hmmm, the only reason that I mentioned locking clip as an option was that is listed it as an option in the above reference:

*Note: Chrysler and Dodge lightweight locking latchplates won't hold a car seat tight and you should flip the latchplate over once so that it is upside down before buckling or use a locking clip with those latchplates. Flipping the latchplate upside down will keep the seat belt from sliding through the latchplate and force the lightweight locking mechanism to hold tight. This should never be done with a latchplate that doesn't lock.

The bolding is mine. Now I am confused. Can you clarify?

snowbird25ca

Hmmm, the only reason that I mentioned locking clip as an option was that is listed it as an option in the above reference:

*Note: Chrysler and Dodge lightweight locking latchplates won't hold a car seat tight and you should flip the latchplate over once so that it is upside down before buckling or use a locking clip with those latchplates. Flipping the latchplate upside down will keep the seat belt from sliding through the latchplate and force the lightweight locking mechanism to hold tight. This should never be done with a latchplate that doesn't lock.

The bolding is mine. Now I am confused. Can you clarify?

It's always preferred whenever possible to not use a locking clip because the locking clip poses a risk of becoming a projectile. People shouldn't hesitate to use them when they're needed - like with non-locking seatbelts or a tippy rf'ing seat, but if they're not needed they shouldn't be used. :thumbsup:

Since flipping the latchplate a half turn is going to fix the problem, the only instance that a locking clip should be used is if for some reason you couldn't re-buckle the seatbelt after flipping the latchplate. That could be the case in a vehicle with fixed buckle stalks and a buckle that only did up when the latchplate was facing the correct direction. (I haven't encountered that combo before, but it was mentioned in our course as a possibility.)

I think there's a typo in the quoted text too, because it the text makes it sound like those types of lightweight locking latchplates never work, but my experience has been that they usually work very well and when they don't twisting the buckle stalk works. There's only ever been one instance I can think of that flipping the latchplate has been needed to get the latchplate to lock. Granted I do see mostly switchable retractors and LATCH installs at clinics, but of the lightweight latchplates that I have seen, only one has needed it and it was a radian install. Seats with lower belt paths are more likely to have troubles with the belts not laying parallel. :thumbsup:

Mommy090804

Thank you so much, Trudy. I certainly didn't mean to question the information that you posted, but I was just confused. Thank you for taking the time to clarify why you would have to use a locking clip in that case. :)

skaterbabs

Since flipping the latchplate a half turn is going to fix the problem, the only instance that a locking clip should be used is if for some reason you couldn't re-buckle the seatbelt after flipping the latchplate.

There are rare occasions in which flipping the latchplate does NOT fix the slipping, and in the case you must use a locking clip. It's not a common issue, if I remember correctly it's certain model years of the Dodge minivans that have that problem.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think the bigger question is when would you have an ALR with a sliding latchplate? How common is that? I believe the OP is meaning a switchable retractor. If that's the case, the question has been covered as such. You'd use a locking clip or lockoff when a car seat is rf and tipping because the retractor is locked (because it's been switched to locking mode from ELR or because it's an ALR seat belt which I'm trying to think of at this time of day, but it's escaping me where you'd find one with a sliding latchplate) OR because you have an ELR retractor. For ff, you really don't want to use a locking clip if you have a locking retractor of any kind because it's just extra work and who wants that ;). You'll need it if you have an ELR and no lockoff.

This is one reason why it's so important to get the terminology correct when talking about seat belts and retractors--it's very confusing when it comes to ALR vs. switchable retractors in some discussions :).

Laurette

I think the bigger question is when would you have an ALR with a sliding latchplate? How common is that? I believe the OP is meaning a switchable retractor. If that's the case, the question has been covered as such. You'd use a locking clip or lockoff when a car seat is rf and tipping because the retractor is locked (because it's been switched to locking mode from ELR or because it's an ALR seat belt which I'm trying to think of at this time of day, but it's escaping me where you'd find one with a sliding latchplate) OR because you have an ELR retractor. For ff, you really don't want to use a locking clip if you have a locking retractor of any kind because it's just extra work and who wants that ;). You'll need it if you have an ELR and no lockoff.

This is one reason why it's so important to get the terminology correct when talking about seat belts and retractors--it's very confusing when it comes to ALR vs. switchable retractors in some discussions :).

The car I am talking about is a Impala that doesnt have latch. My friend has two girls, 2.5 (under 30 lbs) and a 7 month old (16-17lbs). The 7 mo is in a SR with base and her seat does have a tendancy to tip. When I re-install it for her I put the belt on as tight as possible and then pull it all the way out and then it starts to lock. So, I guess the retracter is a switching retracter. The latch plates are free sliding.

Her 2.5 year old is FFing in a cosco, not sure of the model but it is a convertable and has a flip up/down foot for switching modes. I keep putting her Rfing and then the next time I see her she is FFing again... So I guess I have given up that battle. But the last time I saw her, the seat was completly in wrong. If was FFing but the FFing foot was not up and it was loose. There wasnt enough time for me to re-install it for her then. :(

christineka

Thanks. I had recently installed the rfing seats with just the locked belt, but they are very tippy. I'm going to go out tomorrow and install with the locking clip again. (How I hate the locking clip!) I think I'm going to do the car seat shuffle again. If only I could have two sliding doors...

Christine

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

As far as I know, the only seat belts with ALR are lap belts. I have never heard of or seen a l/s belt with ALR, but of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exsist ;) Wait, I think those old-school Hondas with the automatic sliding shoulder belts in the front seats are ALR, but you can't install seats with those anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC