Used Sienna or Odyssey?

twinsmommy627

My husband and I have a 2000 Sienna. We are now in need of a 2nd car. I talked him into keeping the 2000 Sienna to use for his station/bring things to the dump car. Thus, we're looking at used cars.

Does anyone know what year the side-curtain airbags became standard for both the Odyssey and the Sienna? What about stability control - when did it become standard (or has it not even become standard??)

Also if anyone has any data, sites, etc. that shows the importance of these features, I'd really appreciate it.

I keep trying to tell him that we need to go higher than 2003 on a Sienna because the 2003 models don't have side-curtain airbags, but I'm not sure if that's true.

I looked in my Consumer Reports Used Car Guide but I couldn't find anything about the airbags.

Thanks in advance.

I should mention that I need captain chairs for the 2nd row and would really like the option to fold down the seats instead of giving myself a hernia trying to take the seats out.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
For the Sienna, both side curtain airbags and stability control became optional in 2004. No earlier models even had them available. Finding a lower trim model with these features can be difficult in 2004 and 2005, so you may have to be patient.

For the Odyssey, both side curtain airbags and stability control became standard on all models for 2005. No earlier models had them available.

mamamia

I love my 2004 Sienna!

What part of the country are you in? That might make a difference in availability. I am in MA, and I know a few people who have been looking at used 2004 Siennas around here.

I have had mine since April of 2003, and love it. It is an LE model with side curtain airbags, traction control and stability control. It handles very well in the snow, although I can't say that I drive it all that much in the snow. It is significantly bigger than the 2003 models, and at least around here, not much different in price. It is big enough that I actually leave our stroller unfolded in the cargo area and still have plenty of room for groceries. The third row folds easily, but the captains chairs have to be removed, they don't just fold. Not sure how important this is for you, but I can get 5 car seats in my sienna without much difficulty.

BTW-we went with the Sienna over the Honda in 2003 because of the side curtain airbags. If I was shopping now for a new minivan, I am not sure which one I would go with.

twinsmommy627

We live in New Jersey. We're about 30 minutes outside of NYC. We can't really swing a brand new car. I don't need to take out the captain's chairs, just need to be able to flip the 3rd row up and down when needed.

Thanks for your help.

I've also heard a lot of negative things about the Sienna's tires - that they can be flat and keep going. Anyone have any trouble with this? I think it is a standard feature on the 2004+ models.

mamamia

RUn-flat tires were an option on the 2004 SIennas. We don't have that, although we have a tire-pressure warning system that works well. I haven't had any trouble with the tires except when I ran over a nail, which I can't blame on Toyota :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Like Mamamia said the run-flat tires are not standard on all 04/05/06 Sienna's. They come standard on any all-wheel drive models and those models also don't come with a spare tire. That is the only reason we didn't get an AWD because we didn't want to deal with not having a spare and the headache the run-flats have been known to cause. HTH...oh yeah and I love my Sienna too!!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
FYI, runflats are standard on Odyssey Touring models also.

While a great idea in principle, the consensus on runflats seems to be that they wear quickly, cost a lot to replace and don't usually give the same traction and overall quality as a top quality, regular tire.

twinsmommy627

Plus, not having a spare tire doesn't seem to make sense. I'd rather the security of a spare tire. I read numerous reviews that people posted saying their run-flats had caused considerable damage to the tire rims.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Mamamia~ If you have a FWD Sienna then your spare is under the car kind of under the middle row, drivers side. HTH!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If it's a 2005+ Odyssey, then it is inside the cabin on the left shoulder of the third row, driver side passenger. You can also reach it from the rear hatch on the left side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC