Truck or SUV if can only have one?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We know people who have 3 kids and drive small and midsize cars. For long trips they rent a minivan. You can borrow trucks or rent U-hauls when needed, too. It still ends up being a lot cheaper than owning two full size truck based models. Yeah, not as much freedom as owning your own F350 Mega Cab, of course.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We know people who have 3 kids and drive small and midsize cars. For long trips they rent a minivan. You can borrow trucks or rent U-hauls when needed, too. It still ends up being a lot cheaper than owning two full size truck based models. Yeah, not as much freedom as owning your own F350 Mega Cab, of course.
We actually considered purchasing a sedan this time round and then renting a truck for when we needed to tow our trailer in the summer. And you know what? We couldn't rent anything that would tow! They simply don't purchase vehicles with towing packages on them. They say it's because of the liability (people might be towing things overweight, not have the proper anti-sway bars, brake controllers, etc.) and also due to the wear on the vehicle (because once again, people might be towing overweight). We did find one rental company that had a couple of trucks that could tow, BUT we would have to pay to have the hitch installed on them because it was US who wanted to tow. Crazy! And then of course the hitch that WE paid for, would stay with the vehicle.

Not sure if it's that hard to rent a towing vehicle elsewhere, but it sure is around here. We love camping too much with our trailer, so thus, we ended up with a mid-size SUV that could tow. A minivan wouldn't have worked because they currently only tow up to 3500# and you normally have to reduce your towing amount by the cargo/people in the vehicle as well. So, to tow safely, we needed 5000#. And it is our only vehicle.

skaterbabs

Well, I did mention hilly areas:)
Yes, I know. ;)

I have no problem with 3 kids in a sedan, but it's not necessarily cheaper. My Suburban is a fraction the cost of even a slightly newer sedan, and allows me to actually leave the house when my neices and nephew are here. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
i'm no stranger to winter. rochester NY (where DW is from) gets significantly more "snowy" than it's neighbor to the north ;), and i spent a lot of winters skiing in the catskill mountains of upstate NY where 3 foot snowstorms are normal... somehow i always survived and got through those hilly/muddy/snowy/drifty/unplowed dirt roads with FWD. sure, there were times i'd be challenged by a hill where a 4WD would have had an easier time, but those were so rare that it never justified the added expenses that come along with 4WD.
That's fine if that's what works for you. For ME, who has had to travel in the dark, on highways with little to no traffic, as the only adult with the kids, I prefer AWD. I am a twig and nowhere near strong enough to be able to push my vehicle anywhere if I was to veer off course (heck I'm not strong enough to push the little CRX I ownded that got stuck every block after a huge snowfall!). AWD may not get me out of every situation, but it absolutely can help. It was one of the reasons we got the MDX because of the SH-AWD which handles each wheel independently, as this would provide more benefit than our last vehicle which controlled 2 wheels at a time. Now, I do my best to just stay out of situations that involve driving as the only adult, in the dark, with the kids, in lots of snow, but we have run into sudden, unexpected snowstorms.

really? what about conversely, "for those of us in snowy canada who want our kids to be safe..."? yeah, i agree it's hard not to get defensive in response to that. :rolleyes: i believe that's what prompted my original response.
Like I said, you read things between the lines that were NOT there. I did not intend to imply that people without AWD weren't keeping their kids safe.

And what I meant was that you immediately got snooty with me instead of just asking me to clarify and have now continued with rolling your eyes at me. I'll come up with better wording to convey my meaning, and edit my original post as my wording appears to be open to misinterpretation.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I am ignoring the fight above and giving my opinion to the OP ;)

We own a 04 suburban (our second), 00 chevy CK 3500 crew, and 93+/- c6500 crew, and DH drive an 04 1500 ex for his company vehicle

If I had to pick one, I would pick the suburban, but I do LOVE our 3500 crew. It was our only vehicle for several years and is a work horse - and yes, I can park that thing any where and the only dent/scrathces on it are from when dd#1 wrote on it with a nail when she was 3 and a few minor scratches from hitting deer (we have a grill gaurd that has taken most of the damage). It has 150,000+ miiles and is still going strong.

My suburban, I can pack the kids and dogs in, plus anything else we might need and go. It is hard to fit 4 kids in the trucks and still have room to breath :). The seats do lay down and I have put just about anything you could in there. I only get groc once/month and I can fit a months worth of groceries for a family of 6, plus anything else I got in town on shopping day in the cargo area. And when needed to, I can throw all the kids in their seats and chase cows across the fields or down the road in it - try that in a minivan! I get between 16.4 and 17.1 mpg (most of my driving in highway). Anywhere we drive entials getting on the main highway across the state, in a part of it where there is very little police presence, lots of college drivers, and very rural, which equals lots of people driving very fast and very unsafe, so I want a bigger vehicle to protect me the little more it does.

I think the older suburban (89-92, I think) were really strong dependable - more truck like (If you are going that old). My parents had one that went over 200,000, had a new transmission and engine, then went another 75,000 and they sold it. We would routinly haul 2-3 tons of bagged feed in that thing (with all the back seats down)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Or, what about the Honda Ridgeline? You won't get three rows of seating, but it would give you an extra wide back seat, 4wd, nice ride and handling, and of course a truck bed.

The Ridgeline sounds like a good recommendation for the OP :thumbsup:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We actually considered purchasing a sedan this time round and then renting a truck for when we needed to tow our trailer in the summer. And you know what? We couldn't rent anything that would tow! They simply don't purchase vehicles with towing packages on them. They say it's because of the liability (people might be towing things overweight, not have the proper anti-sway bars, brake controllers, etc.) and also due to the wear on the vehicle (because once again, people might be towing overweight). We did find one rental company that had a couple of trucks that could tow, BUT we would have to pay to have the hitch installed on them because it was US who wanted to tow. Crazy! And then of course the hitch that WE paid for, would stay with the vehicle.

Not sure if it's that hard to rent a towing vehicle elsewhere, but it sure is around here. We love camping too much with our trailer, so thus, we ended up with a mid-size SUV that could tow. A minivan wouldn't have worked because they currently only tow up to 3500# and you normally have to reduce your towing amount by the cargo/people in the vehicle as well. So, to tow safely, we needed 5000#. And it is our only vehicle.

I saw a lot of rental trucks and SUVs at Yellowstone towing last year. Could be the region. Anyway, as I said, if you are one of the relatively small numbers of buyers who frequently haul/tow large payloads or do heavy-duty off-roading, a sedan/wagon/minivan/crossover isn't a good option. For the majority I see who run them 99.9% of the time idling in urban gridlock every morning and evening, there are many better options in terms of safety, economy and environment.

I have no problem with 3 kids in a sedan, but it's not necessarily cheaper. My Suburban is a fraction the cost of even a slightly newer sedan, and allows me to actually leave the house when my neices and nephew are here. ;)

Comparing apples to apples, a new midsize sedan can be half the cost of a new full size SUV. You could easily buy two brand new (and very safe) 4-cylinder Hyundai Sonatas for the same price as a base Yukon XL 4x2. At 11-14 mpg (depending on engine) city, that's a lot of fuel expense, too. At 21 mpg city, those two Sonatas wouldn't use much more fuel than a single XL lol. For a modestly equipped 4x4 Yukon XL, you could buy three Sonatas...

Similarly, a Yukon Hybrid is almost double the cost of a Camry Hyrbid. Those EPA estimates of 20 city and 20 highway are quite admirable for a full size 4x4, but still quite short of the 30 city and 34 highway of the Camry.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
When comparing new that is certain true. ;) Not necessarily so when comparing used.

Interesting. I was always under the impression that the Suburban/Yukon held their value relatively well. I guess they must depreciate significantly faster than cars? If so, that's an even bigger loss of value if you are buying a new full size-SUV vs. a crossover or large sedan.

skaterbabs

They do hold their value fairly well to a certain point, but if you want a vehicle under a few thousand, it's easier to find certain models of SUVs in that price range, especialy if you want to haul things and have a third row of seats. Plus, even at $3.30/gallong for gas, if the vehicle itself is inexpensive enough it can take years for the increased gas costs to add up to the price of a new car.

That said, sometimes I think we forget that not everyone can purchase a three year old or newer vehicle with all the great safety features.

southpawboston

The Ridgeline sounds like a good recommendation for the OP :thumbsup:

the only thing about the ridgeline that would concern me is if you ever intended to use it as a "real" pickup truck. i have heard that the unibody structure with integrated box ladder frame can't hold up as well as a traditional box-ladder frame with bolt-on cargo bed. i've heard stories of the ridgeline unibody actually flexing to the point of the rear body panels developing permanent wrinkles after using it for really rough stuff! (thus its nickname, "wrinkleline"). :twocents:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/exterior/6630-body-wrinkles-2.html

aisraeltax

True for some, no doubt, but it is a fallacy for many typical families with 2 or 3 kids.

You know, until recently I have majorly resisted any vehicle that is a minivan or an SUV but my remark was personal....some families NEED a minivan or an SUV. With 3 kids, we were fine driving a Saab 9-5 and a BMW 325...we all FIT. Nothing else fit, but we weren't together ALL THE TIME either so it wasnt that much of an inconvenience.

However, there is no way I can fit 4 kids into either of those vehicles with 2 convertible carseats (yeh, i MAY have been able to squish my 10 yo in the middle between 2 blvds...but really....that was going to be very very uncomfortable.

As far as AWD goes, I drive each vehicle the same, pretty much always. The BMW handles NH weather fine...its AWD..the Saab, OTOH, had me very worried at times b/c it would slide all over the place. I do believe AWD provides me with greater traction.

And there are SUVs out there that are geting better mileage. I averaged 27 MPG on my way back from Ga. to NH after purchasing our vehicle. Thats better than our Saab or BMW mileage. Even commuting into the city over the last few days (b/c what man doesnt want to take the new car for a few days...thats ALL he's getting though!! lol), it still averaged 25 mpg.

for me...fuel efficiency was huge.

I agree there are too many minivans and SUVs on the road that really don't need to be...but for those of us who do need them (and ive only recently been added to this pool of ppl), there are really no other options. The best I could do, since the environment and conservation are very important to me, is to get the most fuel efficient vehicle we could afford. No, it wasnt the cheapest but it was also comparable to other vehicles out there....and it does reduce at least our personal dependence on fuel..and I hope that makes a difference.

If I had my way, I would be driving a Prius. :(

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
the only thing about the ridgeline that would concern me is if you ever intended to use it as a "real" pickup truck. i have heard that the unibody structure with integrated box ladder frame can't hold up as well as a traditional box-ladder frame with bolt-on cargo bed. i've heard stories of the ridgeline unibody actually flexing to the point of the rear body panels developing permanent wrinkles after using it for really rough stuff! (thus its nickname, "wrinkleline"). :twocents:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/exterior/6630-body-wrinkles-2.html

True, but the Ridgeline is intended for the yardwork and housework kind of duty mentioned by the OP.

Funny thing we saw on the Ohio Turnpike last week. A semi was off to the side and the roof and sides had collapsed in the middle. It didn't look to have rolled or crashed. I heard some old-timers at the next rest stop speculate that it was overloaded and just buckled in the middle.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I agree there are too many minivans and SUVs on the road that really don't need to be...but for those of us who do need them (and ive only recently been added to this pool of ppl), there are really no other options. The best I could do, since the environment and conservation are very important to me, is to get the most fuel efficient vehicle we could afford. No, it wasnt the cheapest but it was also comparable to other vehicles out there....and it does reduce at least our personal dependence on fuel..and I hope that makes a difference.

But how do you KNOW there isn't a need for those families to have those SUV's and minivans?? Sure maybe the kids get dropped off at daycare on the dad's way to work so he is sitting in traffic alone in a :eek:Suburban:eek: but there is no way you would ever know that. Really who cares what Jack and Joan drive? If a person wants more room in their car for stuff so be it, because in the end it is their choice if that is what they want to drive. Just like my three kids and I could roll around in a sedan all day long...but I don't want to. Period, end of story. I do not care if Bob and Betty don't like it. But I do care that a lot of people here just jump to the conclusion that they know what everyone needs or doesn't need. The OP came here stating what she wanted to buy not asking whether or not a minivan or sedan would fit her needs better than an SUV or truck.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You know, until recently I have majorly resisted any vehicle that is a minivan or an SUV but my remark was personal....some families NEED a minivan or an SUV. With 3 kids, we were fine driving a Saab 9-5 and a BMW 325...we all FIT. Nothing else fit, but we weren't together ALL THE TIME either so it wasnt that much of an inconvenience.

However, there is no way I can fit 4 kids into either of those vehicles with 2 convertible carseats (yeh, i MAY have been able to squish my 10 yo in the middle between 2 blvds...but really....that was going to be very very uncomfortable.

As far as AWD goes, I drive each vehicle the same, pretty much always. The BMW handles NH weather fine...its AWD..the Saab, OTOH, had me very worried at times b/c it would slide all over the place. I do believe AWD provides me with greater traction.

And there are SUVs out there that are geting better mileage. I averaged 27 MPG on my way back from Ga. to NH after purchasing our vehicle. Thats better than our Saab or BMW mileage. Even commuting into the city over the last few days (b/c what man doesnt want to take the new car for a few days...thats ALL he's getting though!! lol), it still averaged 25 mpg.

for me...fuel efficiency was huge.

You basically made the same decision that I did. I get 25-27 mpg highway, more like 16-19 city depending mostly on the season. I still have no doubt we could have done it in a larger car like an Avalon or Ford Five Hundred or something, though it wouldn't have been nearly as convenient. Had the Hybrid Camry been available at the time, it would have been a very tough choice. As it is, that would be my preference to replace DW's AWD wagon.

In a few years when DS can ride in front, I may well go for a more fuel efficient midsize or small car, too.

aisraeltax

But how do you KNOW there isn't a need for those families to have those SUV's and minivans?? Sure maybe the kids get dropped off at daycare on the dad's way to work so he is sitting in traffic alone in a :eek:Suburban:eek: but there is no way you would ever know that. Really who cares what Jack and Joan drive? If a person wants more room in their car for stuff so be it, because in the end it is their choice if that is what they want to drive. Just like my three kids and I could roll around in a sedan all day long...but I don't want to. Period, end of story. I do not care if Bob and Betty don't like it. But I do care that a lot of people here just jump to the conclusion that they know what everyone needs or doesn't need. The OP came here stating what she wanted to buy not asking whether or not a minivan or sedan would fit her needs better than an SUV or truck.

i dont know and am certainly not making that judgment. i was simply responding to someone else's statements that NO ONE needs a minivan or SUV (or some silly statement like that). if you go back and look at my first post here, i answered the OP's question IRT what my opinion is for what would be best for her. I *think* I said a minivan but may have mentioned an SUV...cant be sure..i wasnt judgmental re: whether she really really needed it or not.

Each person has to make their own decision based on a myriad of factors..im not judging anyone for doing so...although it wouldnt be MY choice to have a minivan or SUV if i had only 2 kids...but thats just ME. W/ 3 kids, it was really pushing it and we did either take 2 cars or rented an SUV for trips.....more b/c neither of us wanted a minivan or an SUV. At this juncture in our lives though...we don't have a choice. Which was really my only point. I'm sorry if you felt that I was being judgmental but honestly was not intending to be. I have my values..others have theirs...I can only hope we are all striving for world peace. :)

twokidstwodogs

True for some, no doubt, but it is a fallacy for many typical families with 2 or 3 kids. We didn't have much for typical minivans or SUVs until the mid 1980s. The roads were dominated by cars and, to a lesser degree, pickup trucks. Families managed with full size sedans and wagons.

Darren, just to point out the obvious--the roads in the 1970s and early 1980s were dominated by cars and wagons with unrestrained children packed into them. (I was one of them, as I'm sure most everyone else on here was.) We all know that it's really difficult to get three seats across many sedans. That third row is now essential for two-kid families who ever want to carpool or take a friend someplace. Just the other day, I took my older daughter and a friend ice skating. I had to uninstall and reinstall DD#2's MA to do it, since the friend was too tall for it, and anyway, the harness straps would have needed moving. It's not that big of a deal for me, but I know plenty of people for whom the thought of moving carseats inspires panic. The Odyssey sure is useful in situations like that.

If you downsize from your van, what will you do when you transport extra kids?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Darren, just to point out the obvious--the roads in the 1970s and early 1980s were dominated by cars and wagons with unrestrained children packed into them. (I was one of them, as I'm sure most everyone else on here was.) We all know that it's really difficult to get three seats across many sedans. That third row is now essential for two-kid families who ever want to carpool or take a friend someplace. Just the other day, I took my older daughter and a friend ice skating. I had to uninstall and reinstall DD#2's MA to do it, since the friend was too tall for it, and anyway, the harness straps would have needed moving. It's not that big of a deal for me, but I know plenty of people for whom the thought of moving carseats inspires panic. The Odyssey sure is useful in situations like that.

If you downsize from your van, what will you do when you transport extra kids?

I would do the same as other families with 3 kids who own sedans. I wouldn't haul extra kids:)

jewlsvern

I go with the Mazda CX-9. The 3rd row seats fold down completely flat which would allow for towing. It was recently voted the JD powers truck (SUV) of the year. It is a great car and very fun to drive. It has all the luxuries of the more expensive SUV with the lower sticker price. The top of the line CX-9's run about 30,000 and thats with all the bells and whistles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC