Britax shoulder width for preschoolers

Kellyr2

Is the Marathon the only one with the optional modified padding to add more shoulder room?
I'm thinking about trying it, Mikayla begs for the cow print every time she sees me looking. Just getting another Husky seems easier, if I can get them both installed in the van, but since she likes the cow, I my try it out.

ADS

uccomama

Senior Community Member
Kellyr2 said:
Is the Marathon the only one with the optional modified padding to add more shoulder room?

I am going to say yes, but I am not sure about the Decathlon. I know for sure the Wizard or Boulevard don't because they don't have EPS foam on the sides of the seat, just the back and head wings.

Kellyr2

Okay, thanks. I know that on the Britax site, it says the Marathon is the widest option, but the Decath and Boul also both make it sound like they're "marathon plus xyz" - with the wording it sounded like it was just Marathon, but I wanted to make sure.

scatterbunny

The Sunshine Kids Radian is supposed to offer the widest shoulder area in its class (the 65 pound convertibles). It will also be the narrowest option, overall. Interesting how that works, eh? It will also sit directly on the vehicle seat like the Husky, instead of on a big plastic base like the Marathon.

Choosing between a Husky and another higher weight limit seat is tough. I had to do the same thing when my dd was 2.5 and had outgrown her Cosco Alpha Omega (same top harness slot height as the Ventura) by height. Now that she's 4.5 I see that she would have been able to use a Marathon until at least her 5th birthday, maybe even longer.

It's a tough choice, for sure. I would see which one she feels most comfortable in, and which one you like better. Is it more of a pain for her to climb into a seat with a base? Would she rather be on big bro's level instead of hovering "over" him? If she fits well in both seats, which one to pick is really just a matter of personal preference.

Kellyr2

Yeah, I feel like the Husky looks more comfortable, and I like having a lower seat versus one on a base. Her seat now doesn't have a big base, but sits up a bit higher than the Husky. The shoulder width issue was a big reason why we didnt get Marathons a couple years ago - I put my ds in one (he was around 3.5) and he looked squished in there, but I had no clue about the modified optional padding. And I think I did try out a Marathon once at a BRU, and I didn't like how high it sat - but I know I"ll probably get one for the next baby we have (unless I just go the Roundabout and then Husky route instead), so i'll end up with a higher sitting seat eventually. I'm also still hoping Graco or Evenflo will hurry up with their new ones so I'll have more options.

I was just looking at the SK Radian - is that available in any walk-in stores?

scatterbunny

Yeah, for a baby that the parent still has to put in/take out of the seat, the higher-sitting seat isn't an issue. For me, I think it would be an issue with an older child who climbs into/out of the seat themselves. We used the Alpha Omega with the base for awhile, then without, and it made things so much easier on dd without the base. I think the Ventura sits on the vehicle seat much like the AO does without the base.

And I think for a new baby, I would go with a Marathon over a Roundabout because of how long you can use it...HOWEVER, you'll already have a Husky to pass down to baby when the RA is outgrown, so my only concern would be extended rear-facing. If you have tallish kids, the Marathon will allow the baby to stay RF to 33 pounds. There's a chance baby will get too tall to RF that long in a RA.

And this is how things get confusing--we start talking about seats for babies that aren't even on the way yet! LOL!

scatterbunny

The Radian isn't available at B&M stores yet, but should be soon. Toys R Us, Burlington Coat Factory and Target (I think?) are supposed to carry it. It can also be preordered for $199, free shipping, direct through the company, or $175, free shipping, one other online place. I'll have to search to find that. That price is also supposed to go up to $199 when the seat is actually available. The $175 is just a preorder price.

Kellyr2

LOL, yep, I've been thinking about a seat for "the new baby" and my husband is still in Iraq so we aren't even trying yet!! (will be in a couple weeks though!)
My thoughts were, RA and then Husky or infant seat and then Marathon, Decathalon or Boulevard.
Is it 6 yrs that Husky's are good for? I don't know if I'll get to pass them down or not, with the huge age spread. I figure if I get pg in the next month or two, its still going to be a good 5 yrs from *now* before that kid would be 40 lbs.
And then to make my head spin even more, I realize that there is just no telling what carseats will be like 5 yrs from now and what will be available. Anyway, I"m thinking infant seat and then one of the Britax convertibles with the higher limits. For that kid LOL.
AND I guess one benefit is - if i got the Marathon for DD now, then when "the new baby" is 22 lbs and too big for the infant seat, (around 18 months from now, assuming easy ttc and a baby that doesn't grow faster than my other two) I could put DS into a booster, DD into the Husky, and the baby into the Marathon. Hmmm.... You know, thats a good idea. I'm not sure how long I'll keep Ds in the Husky, but by 7, I think I'll probably be okay with him sitting in a regular booster. okay, my head's starting to spin now.
(came back and thinking more... 18 months from now, Aaric would be 6 yrs 10 months. Mikayla would be 5 yrs 1 month. IF I'm still too freaked to put Aaric into a booster, I could then just buy another Husky. )
OKAY. So. I think if she fits well in the Marathon, I'll get it. And if it fits well in the van, of course. DH says if she likes the cow, get her the cow. I still want to talk her into a floral LOL.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC