Portland, OR has a place for recycling car seats

U

Unregistered

You folks are great ;-) Being the person at Legacy collecting and recycling the seats, its so exciting to see so many people wanting to do this. To address one concern, the open cart drop off at one of our facilities is in an area nobody would find unless directed there with regular employee foot traffic day and night (even if it may not seem like it). The cart is picked up 3x a week by my driver so nothing sits long. I'm very comfortable with it and not having seats disappear.

If you have any questions, I will always answer emails sent to me. My continuing goal with this program is to deflect as much attention towards the cause, safer car seats for kids...the recycling is a side benefit. I want to do a huge plug for my pal Tammy Franks and all the volunteers that work on these events. Its a privelage to get to help.

I am very interested in helping to develop a national take back program like we are now seeing for computers and beverage containers in some states. Its great we recycle but why not everywhere?

And I do help recycle other oddball materials if interested.

Tom Badrick
Sustainability Coordinator
Legacy Health System
tbadrick@lhs.org

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hey Tom! Nice to see you here! I emailed you about the program awhile back, from Dallas, Oregon. I just brought up another 14 seats!

T

Tammy Franks

Thank you to all of you for supporting Legacy's car safety seat recycling program. We are excited to offer this service both for the recycling and safety aspects.

As Tom Badrick, Legacy's Sustainability Coordinator, stated in an earlier e-mail, we have established 5 permanent drop-off locations. All of the locations are secure. This is one of the requirements for the drop-off locations. We, too, are concerned about the liability of "dumpster diving". When I receive the car safety seats to be recycled, I cut the harness straps and mark "RECYCLE" on the seat in permanent marker. We encourage our community partners to do the same. Feel free to do the same to the car safety seats prior to dropping them off to be recycled.

In addition to the drop-off sites, we also hold collection days in conjunction with both Legacy's Healthy Kids' Fairs and Portland Fitting Stations events. As posted here, the next collection day is on June 14th from 10 am until 2 pm at Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital in Vancouver, WA. We will be collecting both car safety seats and bicycle helmets. Whenever possible, we do hold the collection day in conjunction with a car safety seat check-up event so families have the opportunity to have their current car safety seat installations checked. Please note: We do not offer an exchange program for car safety seats. Depending on the check-up event, we may have low-cost car safety seats available for families who qualify (WIC eligible).

Please feel free to contact either Tom Badrick (tbadrick@lhs.org) or me with any questions concerning the recycling program.

Thank you for helping to promote this community service project!

Tammy Franks
Child Passenger Safety Coordinator
Legacy Emanuel Children's Hospital
tfranks@lhs.org

carseatrecycler

Hi Everyone! FYI there is another Car Safety Seat Recycling Event happening in conjunction with a Car Safety Seat Check Up.
Saturday July 26, 2008 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Legacy Emanuel Hospital and Health Center
2801 N. Gantenbein Ave.
Portland, OR 97227
The Recycling Truck will be located near the entrance of Parking Structure 3 on N. Graham St.
The Car Safety Seat Check Up will be held in Parking Structure 3, Level 2. For a campus map visit: http://www.legacyhealth.org/body.cfm?id=663&oTopID=663&PLinkID=657#campus

M

MonkeyFamily

I know this is a horrible question and probably not the right place to ask this -

I realize the dangers in buying or taking a 2nd hand car seat from someone. I, however, have gone through 3 (4 if you ount the stolen one) car seats with my infant daughter who has special needs. She is now 15 mo. old and 15 1/2 lbs.

I cannot afford a brand new seat (especially since the stolen carseat was our Britax) but really need something that works for her.

Any suggestions?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Used seats with unknown histories have many potential pitfalls which could endanger a child, such as possibly crashed, old/expired and not up to current safety standards, missing key parts, recalled, etc. :( Would your car insurance cover the cost of replacing the stolen seat? Perhaps medical insurance could cover the cost of a special needs seat for your daughter if such a seat would be more appropriate for her? You could also try using the Safe Kids locator at https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...tegory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL
to locate a child passenger safety technician in your area who might know of a reduced cost seat program and/or a program to assist special needs children in your area.

U

Unregistered

so glad to hear about the recycling program..I did a search on the internet and found this..I have about 6 car seats to recycle (twins!). I'll look for the dumpster at meridian park soon!

carseatrecycler

Hi everyone! Another Car Seat Recycling Event:
When: Saturday September 13, 2008
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Where: Saturn Dealership across from Legacy Mount Hood Medical Center
3265 Sundial Ave. Troutdale, OR

Bring your used, damaged, unwanted, and expired car seats to be recycled!

For more information visit: http://www.legacyhealth.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=6&action=detail&ref=1838

or call: 503-643-5620

We also have a wonderful problem that needs solving! The response to the car seat recycling has been tremendous, but now we need some help getting the seats disassembled. The group at Legacy is looking to start a monthly Saturday morning event to help disassemble all of the car seats. For more information call Tammy Franks at 503-413-4005

Kindest Regards, Tammee

carseatrecycler

Please bring your used, damaged, expired, and unwanted Car Seats and Bicycle Helmets to the Healthy Kids Fair to be recycled!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Legacy Meridian Hospital
Community Health Education Center
19300 SW 65th Ave.
Tualatin, Oregon 97062

The Healthy Kids Fair is FREE and fun for the whole family!
Bike Helmets on Sale for $5.00
Child Safety Seat Checks
Car Seat and Bicycle Helmet Recycling
Perform surgery on a stuffed bear
Obstacle course
and so much more!
For more information visit: http://www.legacyhealth.org/body.cfm?id=2072
or call 503-335-3500

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Also, if you can't get to Portland that day, I will be collecting them the same time at my car seat clinic, Salem, Lancaster Mall, D street side.

carseatrecycler

Greetings~

There is another Car Seat Recycling Event in conjunction with a Car Safety Seat Fitting Event.
WHEN: Saturday Oct 25, 2008
10:00AM - 1:00 PM
WHERE: Legacy Emanuel Hospital
2801 N.Gantenbein,Portland, OR 97227
Parking Structure #3 (corner of N. Gantenbein & N. Graham)

Bring all used, damaged, expired, and unwanted car seats to this event to be recycled for FREE!

Blondie87

Also, if you can't get to Portland that day, I will be collecting them the same time at my car seat clinic, Salem, Lancaster Mall, D street side.

Where at Lancaster Mall on the D street side is it? Is it in a store? I sent you a PM but I've been trying to find a tech in my area.

carseatrecycler

Volunteers Needed for Car Seat Recycling Program

Legacy Health Systems has been collecting used, damaged, expired, and unwanted car seats in an effort to recycle them and keep the majority of the materials out of landfills. Volunteers are needed to help disassemble car seats to prepare them for recycling. If you are interested in volunteering for this great program please join us!
WHEN:
Saturday January 17th, 2009
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
WHERE:
Legacy Recycling Center
1331 NW 21st Ave.
Portland, OR 97209
Tom Badrick
TBadrick@lhs.org
503-413-6066

Thanks in advance for all of your help! If you cannot volunteer for this event, but would like to become involved, please contact Tom Badrick @ Legacy Health Systems to make alternative arrangements.

U

Unregistered

Re: Portland, OR has a place to recycling car seats

Ok, there is another place. Meridian Park Hospital. They have a drop off cart behind the hospital.

NO THEY DONT - LEGACY HEALTH SYSTEM PORTLAND NO LONGER ACCEPTS CAR SEATS!!!

Dillipop

This thread is from 2008/2009, so yes information has changed.

According to Legacy Health's current website, they do still take car seats for recycling but only at the main desk of 2 hospitals and only during certain hours.

http://www.legacyhealth.org/our-legacy/legacy-values/sustainability/recycling.aspx

c355183c8810514bf64eed6c0de32ffd.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC