PICS of 7YO in Nautilus

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I posted these pics in another thread, but thought I'd post them here for anyone who isn't interested in the other thread (which may be most people, LOL).

I tried my DS in a Nautilus today. (He'll be 7 on the 14th.) He fit in it really, really well. Edited to add: 46", 44 lbs, 16" torso.
BBNautilusFar.jpg

He could easily be on the 2nd from top slot (which is halfway between my finger and the top slot, which is where the harness is set here) if not the 3rd from the top. Ah, the joy of having a little-for-his-age kid who is also leggy/short torsoed!:love:
BBNautilusUpClose.jpg

He's been asking for a harnessed seat for our secondary car (he rides in it at leat 4x a week) and frankly, still feeling flush from a huge tax return, I'm inclined to buy it for him. Am I nuts?!? (I know he would actually ride in it without complaining, he LOVES his Regent.) (I also know that he is fine in his Parkway/FPSV booster, but if he wants another harnessed seat ... :eek:)

Last edited:
ADS

scatterbunny

Wow, that's AWESOME! :thumbsup:

How tall is he? What's his torso height? I ask because my dd won't be 7 until June, but she's 51 inches tall with about an 18.25 inch torso and just barely fits the Nautilus harness (she's at least in the 90th percentile for height, though).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Wow, that's AWESOME! :thumbsup:

How tall is he? What's his torso height? I ask because my dd won't be 7 until June, but she's 51 inches tall with about an 18.25 inch torso and just barely fits the Nautilus harness (she's at least in the 90th percentile for height, though).

I should have included this in the original post. (But it's 1:45 here, I'm tired from our "playdate" and should have gone to bed hours ago ... )

DS is about 10th percentile for height/weight. He's about 46" and was 44 lbs at the doctor last week. I'm not sure what his torso is, but I think it's about 16.5". He's quite leggy, so combine that with an overall short stature, and he's a car seat nut's dream child! :love: He actually didn't outgrow his Safety First Vantage Point harnessed booster (15" top slots) until around his 6th birthday, and that was because he hit 40 lbs, not because his shoulders were above the top slots.

I'm hoping that DD follows the same trends! She's a little bigger than he was at the same age, but not a lot.

Edited to add: I just measured his torso a few minutes ago - it's even better than I thought - 16"!!

Last edited:

Auntie2Avi

I am so envious!! Avi's most recent weight/height this week at the dr were 43 lbs, 42 inches, and all torso!! I need to take new carseat pics tomorrow, I don't know what I will do when he outgrows the Regent, I hope he still fits in the seat for another year!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
DS is about 10th percentile for height/weight. He's about 46" and was 44 lbs at the doctor last week. I'm not sure what his torso is, but I think it's about 16.5".

I'm hoping that DD follows the same trends! She's a little bigger than he was at the same age, but not a lot.

He sounds similar in size to my DD; that's about how she fits in the GN, too. Keep in mind once it's installed he'll lose some of that growing room.

Oh, FWIW, I've got four kids with two different growth patterns. 1 & 3 have always been average-sized or above for their age, while 2 & 4 have always been trailing the bottom of the growth charts. :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Debbie, how does the Nautilus install in the third row of your Mazda5? (I'm thinking of getting one when we pay of our other car this summer.) I know that the seatbelts in that row are problematic, and honestly with only 2 kids and rarely any extras, I don't see using it much. But if I DO drive on a field trip or something, I'd like to put the Nautilus and the Regent back there and boosters in the 2nd row.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Debbie, how does the Nautilus install in the third row of your Mazda5? (I'm thinking of getting one when we pay of our other car this summer.) I know that the seatbelts in that row are problematic, and honestly with only 2 kids and rarely any extras, I don't see using it much. But if I DO drive on a field trip or something, I'd like to put the Nautilus and the Regent back there and boosters in the 2nd row.

It's do-able. I can get an acceptable install by myself, and rock-solid when Gypsy helps me, but it's finicky. I've found every carseat I put back there has a different set of finicky little tricks it needs. Like the Marathon needs the headrest ON and to be sitting super-upright, but the GN the headrest needs to be OFF (or raised) and you have to have it reclined and forward of the bight a little bit.

The nice thing about the GN as a HBB is that it's so thick that it nearly makes up for the stupid shoulder belt in that row. It's the only booster I've had back there so far that I'd feel comfortable using in that row.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It's do-able. I can get an acceptable install by myself, and rock-solid when Gypsy helps me, but it's finicky. I've found every carseat I put back there has a different set of finicky little tricks it needs. Like the Marathon needs the headrest ON and to be sitting super-upright, but the GN the headrest needs to be OFF (or raised) and you have to have it reclined and forward of the bight a little bit.

The nice thing about the GN as a HBB is that it's so thick that it nearly makes up for the stupid shoulder belt in that row. It's the only booster I've had back there so far that I'd feel comfortable using in that row.

Thanks Debbie! DH has given "permission" to get the seat (I wouldn't get it if he really didn't want me to, since DS does have an adequate seat [Parkway] in my car) so the kids and I will go in search of it tomorrow. Unless I can't wait that long and go looking for it tonight. Which is entirely possible! :D

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Woohoo, I have a Nautilus on hold at Meijer (their only one!) and will be leaving to pick it up as soon as I can get the kids ready!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You left us hanging, lol. Did you get the Nauti? I hope you're having fun with it and enjoying today's gorgeous weather to install it. :D

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Sorry to leave everyone hanging, LOL!

So I get to Meijer and, after waiting FOREVER for someone to help us in the car seat aisle (I even used the "red phone" for the first time), the lady I spoke to on the phone this morning came out. I reminded her what I was looking for, and she said Oh yes, here is right here. And she pointed to a brand spankin' new black and gray ... TurboBooster. Of course, they didn't have a Nautilus in stock (nor did the Canton store, or the Walmart I stopped at on the way home, though that Walmart has never had it). I was SO irritated.

I really don't want to wait until a store has it in stock (who knows when that will be) because I'm afraid DS will lose interested, LOL, and then I (er, he) won't get the new seat. So I came home and ordered it on Walmart.com "ship to store" to the Walmart I went to this morning. It's my least favorite Walmart, but it IS on my way home from work.

We did take advantage of today's gorgeous weather (70 degrees!) to go to the park and let off some steam after our frustrating quest for the Nautilus. What a nice day.

mamaofthree

Did I read wrong or did you say your ds fit using the second slots from the bottom? My 6.5 yo dd has about a 16" torso and is just above the third slots when installed, so she is on the top harness slots. Still tons of growing room, but not nearly as much as your ds seems to have.

Kimberly

TerisBoys

Did I read wrong or did you say your ds fit using the second slots from the bottom? My 6.5 yo dd has about a 16" torso and is just above the third slots when installed, so she is on the top harness slots. Still tons of growing room, but not nearly as much as your ds seems to have.

Kimberly

I was just thinking the same thing - Ry's between 15 1/2 and 16" and he's right AT the second slots from the top.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

Kimberly

Not sure whether you're referring to me or someone else. :confused: As you can see from the pics in my original post, DS is definitely below the 2nd from top slots. I measured his torso at 16" yesterday, though I suppose I could have measured too tall.

mamaofthree

Sorry, yes I was asking you BookMama. That wasn't installed in the photo though right? My dd was under the third slots uninstalled, but moved over them when I installed it so I moved them up. There's no way she would have ever been under the second slots though, even uninstalled. I was just surprised at the difference.

Kimberly

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A Turbo on hold instead of a Nauti, argh, how frustrating. :( Hopefully the WalMart order will arrive soon for you.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Sorry, yes I was asking you BookMama. That wasn't installed in the photo though right? My dd was under the third slots uninstalled, but moved over them when I installed it so I moved them up. There's no way she would have ever been under the second slots though, even uninstalled. I was just surprised at the difference.

Kimberly

No, it wasn't installed, it was on the cement in the parking lot.

christineka

My 8 year old has the same torso, but has longer legs. I so wish my girls would be okay with being harnessed again. I think it would be cool to have all my kids in harnesses. Unfortunately I knew nothing about extended harnessing until recently. I've measured my kids' torsos about 5 times in the past week- three times today and I got all different numbers. Their overall heights remained the same. I think when refering to carseats it is actually best to try to measure in the car seat. Where the harness really falls is what makes a difference. Anyway, my 3 year old is rear-facing in the scerena with an 11.5 inch torso and weighing 26 pounds. I understand about having a car seat geek's dream child. I hope dd likes being one.

Christine

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC