Anyone heard this before?

anna'smommy+1

One of the pregnancy boards I post on had a question about infant headsupports today. I replied about aftermarket products and provided a link with what all the different manufacturers say about them. The lady seems to be ignoring my advice however as she has only responded to the people replying that have positive things to say about them:eek:. The thing I was wondering though is another poster on there mentioned that when she went to pick her brothers baby up at the hospital they would not let her leave with the head support in the carseat. While I think it is great that they did that, their reasoning was that it increases sids. I have never heard that and don't know how that is possible. A baby should not be sleeping in a carseat unless supervised by an adult.

I have also heard and believe it was actually posted somewhere here a few days ago about the headsupports causing neck issues. I have never heard that until then. I did some research and came up with nothing on it. I'm pretty sure the poster of that message is also on the pregnancy message board from above, though due a different month. She posted the hospital this study came from and I still couldn't find it, she was unable to find it as well. Someone on that other thread said that their safekids no longer recommended them, but didn't say why.

Have any of you heard these and can you provide any sites that show why these are risks. The ss1 I have for this baby came with one that I plan to use, but if someone can show me it is unsafe I will have no problem removing it.

Thanks

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Not sure about links, but really the main thing we are trying to do with infants is make sure their heads don't flop forward, chin to chest, to cut off the airway. Adding in head supports can slip down behind the head if the child lifts their head for a second, then fall down behind the head, and *completely* prevent babies from putting their heads back upright, and that could theoretically cause a lot of harm. If I can't find something 'official', I'm sure someone else can, though. (aside from the carseat manual prohibiting use of any added padding...I guess that's not enough proof? All carseats have that warning...not so much for the risk of airway obstruction, but because they may cause the seat to fail in a crash because it changes how the harness fits on the baby, increasing risk of ejection from the seat)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If it came included with the seat then it was tested with it & there shouldn't be any problem unless for some odd reason the baby's head cannot be positioned properly (which I think is pretty unlikely unless there's something extra added in or there's a huge wrinkle or other such misuse)

www.cpsafety.org (.com?) has a page about add-ons as does Child Restraint Safety (CRS)

anna'smommy+1

Thanks! I have had 2 people in the last week mention about hospitals not letting you leave with any infant head supports even if it came with the seat. Both are from different places and both had different reasons why. I had never heard of this before and when I tried to look for it I couldn't find it anywhere. I was just curious if anyone had ever heard this before. I know about the after market items, and that is the link that I provided to them.:)

fyrfightermomma

In my tech class last month we were taught not to use any head supports including those that came with the seat. Only rolled up recieving blankets on the side of the head were approved. Our instructors reasoning was teh same as a PP's. That the child could put their head a tiny bit forward, the head support could slip down and then they can't put their head back and it could close off their airway and if no ones back there to see it, no one knows.

Thats just what we were taught anyways so thats what I do at checks for very small newborns.

anna'smommy+1

Thanks, I was just wanting a valid reason for it. Both people had different reasons given by their hospitals, and we all know how reliable they can be when it comes to carseat info. I had heard on here that you can use it if it came with the seat, but had never heard anything else before. Was just wondering if there was any actual reason to this info.

JerseyGirl'sMama

In my tech class last month we were taught not to use any head supports including those that came with the seat. Only rolled up recieving blankets on the side of the head were approved. Our instructors reasoning was teh same as a PP's. That the child could put their head a tiny bit forward, the head support could slip down and then they can't put their head back and it could close off their airway and if no ones back there to see it, no one knows.

Thats just what we were taught anyways so thats what I do at checks for very small newborns.

What about the Companion then? It says the head support is NOT optional. (Yes, I am aware of the new manual says it is optional, but the sticker on the actual bucket says it is not.)

fyrfightermomma

What about the Companion then? It says the head support is NOT optional. (Yes, I am aware of the new manual says it is optional, but the sticker on the actual bucket says it is not.)

Good question. No idea...they never said anything about that. However my instructors weren't *cough* the brightest candles on the cake ;) THey just told us they shouldn't be used at all, but never mentioned what if the seat requires it. Do you know why the companion requires it???

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC