What do you all think about the Maxi Cosi Mico?

louisandheather

Hi,

We are interested in the Maxi Cosi mico infant car seat and would like to get a few opinions before we buy. It looks good in person, but it is new to the USA and I am not sure. We love the buzz stroller and that is great quality so I am hoping for the same safety and ease of use in the car seat.

Thanks,

Heather :)

ADS

Kat_Momof3

the seat is great!

Now I do think that, for the price, they could have included padding similar to the gracopedic foam, but it's definitely more than adequate (you're going to hate me for how I explain this, but it's more padded than the combis, less padded than the Britax Companion)

It's definitely better padded than the less expensive graco snugrides, though... maybe even equal to the safeseats without the gracopedic foam.

Here are some things that people either love or hate....

1. the buckle - not only is it a puzzle buckle (as all seats in europe have), but it's plastic. I don't feel this is a biggie... it's not going to heat up like metal, so it won't burn as easily, and all the infant seats in europe use them... heck, the combi infant seats here have them... they passed testing and everything.

The concern of course is the durability of plastic and will it stand up in really high temps.

So you have to figure out how you feel about the issue. I have talked to sales reps at stores where they sell tons of different seats and they don't see it as an issue. Do they have favorite seats? Yes. Are they always the combi or Maxi cosi?? No... usually they love the Companion for the TSIP headrest or they love the Safeseat for it's large capacity or the Keyfit for the super-easy latch install.

It's really more an objective view that there haven't been any problems with the buckles anywhere for so many years... so it's fine.

But again... it's a parental thing.

2. the chest clip - we always worry about chest clips being too big for babies or even too small for parent fingers (I hate hate hate the one on the snugride) This is the cheap cosco chest clip that you see on every seat. It's a little big... feels a big cheap, but it's not as bad as the big huge evenflo clips on infant seats they were using until recently, but it does feel like it's too cheap to be on the seat sometimes. Still, it's not horrible and not a deal breaker if I were shopping.

My friend who owns this seat doesn't like the clip, either, but she LOVES the seat because her high-maintenance baby loves it (and he is VERY VERY picky... hated the Keyfit and the SS1 and even wasn't thrilled with the combi seats, but he loves his Mico).

3. Price - for what it is.. a cosco infant seat, I think we were surprised to find it so high in price. I do think they put it a little high, but there are some great frills and it's a great seat

Okay... so the pros...

Large seat... roomy for width and height... probably now the tallest 22lb limit seat on the market... and nice and roomy for those little babies who have big shoulders for their builds (like my friend's baby who is 15lbs at 9mo... tiny... but has these wide shoulders for his body)

Straps don't twist

front harness pull

Lightweight seat (maybe lighter than the combi or right the same)

the tabs at the side hold back straps when loading/unloading baby

the install is pretty easy

multiple positions for the buckle.

Really I can't think of any true CONS... just things you'll either be fine with or not.

If it were me, I love the combi seats and prefer them, but the Mico will give more grow room (not a lot, though) and definitely gives more width room and it works with all the quinny and maxi cosi stroller.

cpsaddict

I have looked at it in depth and my sister is registered for it and the Quinny Zapp(or Buzz, can't recall exactly). There are many pros to it and the only con I can think of is that it requires the handle to be down in the car. Not a big deal if you are aware and make sure it's always down. I like the padding and the buckle doesn't bother me really. Overall, it's a nice seat. Worth the price tag? Probably, but they could have at least put a built in lockoff on the base. Heck, even the newest Eddie Bauer seats have one and the Maxi Cosi is made by the same company, Dorel.

aksansmom

i bought one today!
the first reason i bought mico carseat is that its the only car seat that will fit maxi cosi perle stroller which i loooove soo much! yup, that perle umbrella stroller.. you can put a carseat on it!

cons :
1. the buckle, yes, i agree , its hard to buckle up a baby inside the car seat

pros:
1. the color is unisex
2. again, i agree, it got room for baby to grow
3. lightweight, slightly lighter than chicco keyfit30

overall, i liked it!
i hope i wont have problem with the buckle, since my baby #2 is not here yet

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
3. Price - for what it is.. a cosco infant seat, I think we were surprised to find it so high in price. I do think they put it a little high, but there are some great frills and it's a great seat

Actually, it's not a "Cosco" seat...it's a Maxi-Cosi seat. Maxi-cosi has been around in Europe since 1968. Dorel markets and distributes Maxi-Cosi, Quinny, Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer and Disney Licensed products. That does not mean Cosco is the same as MC...or a Quinny stroller is a cosco stroller. They are all different product lines.

Kat_Momof3

Actually, it's not a "Cosco" seat...it's a Maxi-Cosi seat. Maxi-cosi has been around in Europe since 1968. Dorel markets and distributes Maxi-Cosi, Quinny, Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer and Disney Licensed products. That does not mean Cosco is the same as MC...or a Quinny stroller is a cosco stroller. They are all different product lines.

Okay... I just checked the price... for some reason, I had it in my head it was 200 or so... :doh:

I didnt' see how the canopy could attach to the handle, like elitecarseats says it can, but maybe I just missed it.

But one other thing I forgot to mention... my friend found the penguin fabric was horrible... it snagged easily and was thinner than the Juice one she got when she exchanged the seat.

Now the penguin she'd felt at the store before ordering online (to get a cheaper price) had been fine, but I feel I should mention it.

the Juice is really vibrant and I love it.... I also love the lemonade, whose pictures never do it justice, and the ocean.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

It might have a different design, but it's made by Cosco, with the same materials. I'm failing to see how being a MC makes it any different than the EB version of the 3-in-1 :rolleyes:

cpsaddict

It might have a different design, but it's made by Cosco, with the same materials. I'm failing to see how being a MC makes it any different than the EB version of the 3-in-1 :rolleyes:

:yeahthat: If you look at it closely, it looks suspiciously like a Dorel infant seat in nice clothes. The base and overall design of the infant seat looks like a Cosco/Safety 1st. If Maxi Cosi wants people to think they are high end, they might want to reconsider having Dorel be their distributor.:whistle: I was surprised to find the Juice pattern my sister wants is $170, considering the Safeseat next to it seems so much sturdier. I do like the Mico, but it not a Peg Perego and should not be priced as such. :twocents:

SillyLily

My Quinny Zapp might just be another dorel product, but it's a whole heck of a lot more than that. The quality of the zapp vs. one of the travel system strollers or umbrella strollers in the regular cosco/dorel line is dramatic.

I've seen the mico at babiesrus, and it seemed like a great quality - more sturdy and higher-quality materials than the run of the mill cosco infant seats and the graco snugride. The snugride is highly recommended on this site, yet many of the snugride versions with the extra padding and front harness adjuster are very close in price to the mico price.

I don't really see what the big deal is about the puzzle buckle if it's true that european seats (the same european seats that we all drool over and covet) have puzzle buckles.

I think it's just a "tried and true" vs. "newcomer on the block" type of thing. Not many people know much right now about the mico, but they know for sure that the snugrides, safeseat 1s, and chicco keyfits are great. Thank you to the people that have tried the seat/know someone with it for typing out some real-life info on it! People ask about the seat all the time, but no one ever seems to know anything about it other than what you can find on eliteseats, etc...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC