What is the most current measurement of the AOE top slots?

CandCfam

Is it still the 15" that carseatdata.com has, or have they raised it?

The posts that I can find on it here within the last year all but one have 15 to 15.5 as the measurement, the one says 15.5 to 16.

Anyone have an accurate measurement?

Thanks!

ADS

Mommy2Five

Mine measured exactly 15" in the highest usable-for-harness slots. DOM 05/02/2007

HTH

IMG_0003-1.jpg

Mae

You're not thinking of buying one......are you?! :eek:

lol, JK. I know its the best choices in some situations.

CandCfam

You're not thinking of buying one......are you?! :eek:

lol, JK. I know its the best choices in some situations.

lol, NO WAY.

Someone on another board said that the newer ones were 15.5 - 16" tall top slots, which I hadn't seen or heard, so I wanted to find out for sure.:)

Thanks for the pic Mommy2Five! Do you mind if I use it to post on the other board? I'll link it back to your post here.

Mommy2Five

Thanks for the pic Mommy2Five! Do you mind if I use it to post on the other board? I'll link it back to your post here.

Go right ahead :).
They probably are measuring the booster slots, those are 16.5 inches. Here's a pic of the warning on the back of the shell that you can pass along too if you want.

IMG_0002-8.jpg

This is an AO shell, but the AOEs are similar if not the same.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I had an AOE come through a check last weekend, and the booster-only warning was much smaller than :thumbsdown:

Mae

Yep. They can't get in trouble though because the manual says not to do it--but they still do.

Last edited:

henrietta

as the poster from the other board carolyn is referring to--yes, i know the difference b/t the top usable harness slots and the booster mode only. :)

it's the grey/black ao elite from 2005.

that's part of the reason i have the durn seat, so sil cannot use this one incorrectly like she did the older model she had! ugh.

henrietta

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I really, really want to see a side by side measurement of an AO and AOE, the AOE's really are looking taller lately (yes, the top usable slots, there's always a conversation about it ;))

Yes, having the top usable slots for booster use only DOES set parents up for misuse....I was at Lifesavers a couple years ago where a boy 'mysteriously' died in an AO, and it was noted he was in 'the top slots' and I thought, well, what mystery, then???? (but they never clarified if it was 'the top useable slots'). This makes me hate these seats...:mad:

bethng

Yep. They can't get in trouble though because the manual says not to do it--but they still do.

ok, why PUT a slot where you are not allowed to thread the harness? Is that some kinda joke? Is it there for decoration? When in booster mode isnt the harness supposed to be taken out? My friend has this seat and i need to find out more about it before I go check hers out. She may have it threaded through the top slot.

Mommy2Five

ok, why PUT a slot where you are not allowed to thread the harness? Is that some kinda joke? Is it there for decoration? When in booster mode isnt the harness supposed to be taken out? My friend has this seat and i need to find out more about it before I go check hers out. She may have it threaded through the top slot.

The AOs/AOEs have a slide adjust headrest/harness slot. The headrest adjusts higher than the top usable harness position to provide a higher setting for (crappy as it may be) BPB mode. You're (vaguely) instructed to remove the harness for use in that position, but it's a very common misuse with these seats. (I myself used it with the harness in the booster position with my oldest two DC before I learned better :( )

Mommy2Five

Comparison pics for joolsplus3.

(clickable thumbnails)

AO DOM Sept 2004
AOE DOM Feb 2007

AO shell height 22"

AOE shell height 23"

AO harness positions: 9.5, 11.5, 13, & 14.5.

AO booster headrest height 24.5"

AOE harness positions: 10", 12", 13.5", & 15"

AOE booster headrest height 24.5"

AO crotch strap depth 6.5"

AOE crotch strap depths: 4.5", 5.5", & 6.5"

CONTINUED BELOW

Last edited:

Mae

My AO doesnt have a puzzle buckle...its a regular 2 clicked one. DOM 10/12/06...maybe the older ones had puzzle buckles?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC