FOUR carseats & the airport - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

diaperjoys

Well, the trip is over, and I thought I'd post a bit and update people on how the four carseat scenario worked out. And yes! It works. It's a ton of work, but then, everything is a ton of work right now with everyone being so little. We did four domestic flights, so that gave me 16 airplane installations + vehicle installations on both ends of the trip...

Our kiddos are 4yo, 3yo, 2yo, and 4 months, and we took two Marathons, 1 FPSVD, and a Diplomat for them.

We used a Joovy stroller (similar to a sit-n-stand) to toodle about the airport, and found a nifty way to get a couple MA's on it. Here's a thread pics that we took when we were experimenting before the trip http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=35263 My husband pushed the stroller with the 2yo & the 3yo, and carried the Diplomat on his back. I carried the baby in a wrap, and pulled the 4yo along behind me - he rode buckled into the fpsvd which we strapped onto a little folding luggage cart.

Our first attempt at boarding a plane with four children was quite humorous, really. They announced preboarding right as I started nursing the baby, and in the 30 seconds it took to get the baby unlatched and everyone standing up again, (everyone else was eating too), they ended the preboarding...so we boarded the plane near the end of the line, and I spent the whole way down the tunnel asking people, "pardon me, what seat are you in, would you mind carrying this carseat down the aisle for me, it goes in seat 24A..." Then everyone got to wait while I tried to figure out how to use a seat belt extender. That would be how NOT to board a plane with 4 tiny tots.

But here's what worked. And, really, it worked well. It's called divide and conquer. I preboarded with ALL the carseats, and my husband boarded at the very end of the line with ALL the children. When we arrived at the gate we stacked the fpsvd and the two marathons on our luggage cart, and I put the Diplomat on my back. My hubby would take the kids and the stroller and let them romp a bit while I stood right at the counter and made every effort to get on that plane first. Once I was on board I'd request 3 seatbelt extenders (only actually got three on one flight) and set to work buckling. Then when everyone finally got on board they had their seats all ready to go.

To get off the plane we did the same thing in reverse. Hubby would take the kids and I'd work on stacking the seats. I was a real sight exiting the plane with four seats - and probably got as many stares as my husband, who had the baby strapped to his front in a wrap, and three toddlers with him!

We flew Northwest, and when I was searching on this board before our flight I was told a MA wouldn't fit down the aisle of the plane, that I'd have to lift it up over the seats. But it DOES fit!!! I don't know if it something different about Northwest airplanes, or maybe something about our luggage cart, but I was able to roll the the cart right to our seats.

And to carry the Diplomat, I extended the tether strap out, ran it under the seat, and clipped it to the crotch buckle strap (that strap is a loop, so it clips on just fine) That turned the tether into backpack straps, and it was very reasonably comfortable, even though our gates were always miles apart.

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of things, but the baby is fussing for her nursing, so it's time to close for now.

ADS

diaperjoys

Wow... I'm really impressed. You should be proud. That's a nice stroller! So, was it heavy to push?

Yes, it was a bit heavy. It was loaded with 60+ lbs. in child weight, + the weight of the seats themselves. But airport floors are so smooth it really wasn't hard to use. Wouldn't want to do it on a sidewalk, but for the indoor use we needed it for it was just fine.

CandCfam

Holy moly, the thought of it makes my stomach queasy.:p

That's just downright impressive.:thumbsup:

Loves2sing

It's called divide and conquer. I preboarded with ALL the carseats, and my husband boarded at the very end of the line with ALL the children.

This is exactly what dh and I do when we fly, it makes it much easier. :D Then again, we only have one kid so far.:whistle:

I hope you guys had a great trip! I am glad you figured out a system that worked well for you!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Holy crap! I was impressed w/ myself w/ 3 kids and 3 seats, plus double stroller and all the carryons, but you are more woman than I! ;) Can I save your pic of the 2 MAs on the Joovy, the one w/out the kids of course? That's got to be the coolest thing I've ever seen!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
And you didn't get a single standing ovation from the other passengers???

If I had a medal I'd give it you. :thumbsup:

Mommy090804

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, we use a similar system (DH installs the seats and I look after the kids, but we only have two kids!). The seatbelt extender is a little difficult to figure out the first time you use it. Don't you hate it when people use preboarding and they don't really need it? For example, a family with two kids, ages 7&9, and no carseats.:shrug-shoulders:

Can't wait to see pictures...

jewlsvern

At least they would let you preboard. I flew last week just my 12 mo old and I. I asked for preboard and they told me that they don't have preboarding anymore. It was very difficult to board carrying a baby, carseat, carry-on, and something to eat. I held up the whole line of passsengers, but what else can you do. On one flight the FA helped me by carrying the car seat, but most just let me struggle to walk down the aisle. At the end of the trip I waited and boarded last. At least then I wasn't in the way.
Julie
DD 13 mo RF in a SR
17 lbs and 28 in

groovymom2000

I :bow: to you. I remember thinking to myself that your trip was going to be interesting, to say the least. We should bring up your story every time someone moans about how hard it is to take a carseat on the plane with them! (j/k)

diaperjoys

Couldn't have done it without my hubby! How many fellows do you know who would cheerfully wander about an airport with a baby wrapped around their middle and a host of toddlers dancing about?

Last edited:

aisraeltax

wow.....all hail you....after dealing w 1 baby and carseat alone i am in awe...organization is everything though...

you should def. get a metal....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC