International travel?

izzyh4

Hi everyone, I have asked some questions about this before but my plans have changed somewhat. We are going to be in NYC and I am thinking about buying the ride safer safety vests for DS - almost 6 1/2 (44 pounds) dd almost 5 (42 pounds). We are then on a cruise to England where we will be in my Fathers older car (no idea if it has side impact or latch in the back, I have asked him and he doesn't know either. I am going to have to send my sister round to investigate - but I think its a 1999-2000 so probably no latch or rear SIP unless the rules were different in England.). Do you think I could use the vests (worried about SIP) or I was thinking about just buying 2 britaxs with SIP in England and leaving them there for future visits. Obviously on one hand cost is an issue, but on the other I just want the kids to be as safe as possible, and if I have to be the proud owner of a fleet of car seats that is what I will do ( I reckon if I get them all in the same colour my husband wont notice). Initially I was going to take my boulevards but I am worried about the legality of using US car seats in the UK. Thank you for your help and consideration.

ADS

USmominOz

Since you are only visiting, then you are allowed to use your seats. If you were moving then it would be a different story.

I am pretty sure that the cars their don't have tethers ( maybe some of the newer ones would), I will ask some friends of mine today who are from the UK (a lot of them migrate to AU).

His car would probley not have side impact.
I know that most of the seats in the UK do not have tethers.

But they do have a goos booster law, they have to use one till the child reaches the age of 12.

What airline are you flying w/ to the UK? Just make sure that they will let you use the seats on the plane. I would not want to check them because if your seats get lost then you will not have them when you land.

If you fly into Heathro, their was a report here in Au how most of the luggage
actually goes to France then they send it to you (it is at terminal 5) it is the newest part of their International Airport. It is so busy that they can not handle the demand of all the luggage to be sorted.

You can always ask him to take a picture of the back of the seat and e-mail it to you.

Loves2sing

You shouldn't have a problem using your American seats in England, as you are visiting. The rules would change if you were to live there. Same as if you took a roadtrip into Canada, you wouldn't buy new seats. I think just because you aren't sure of what you are going to find with your dad's car over there, I would bring your seats along. Better to be safe than sorry, and this way you don't have to worry about how you are going to get your kids from the landing point to the store, or your dad's house. KWIM?

izzyh4

I know that this sounds odd, but even though I am only visiting (I live in the US) as I am a British Citizen would I be allowed to use US car seats? I am not flying we are sailing, it will however be just me and the kids so I will have to manage my luggage, their luggage and my husbands luggage as he is flying over later and there is no baggage limit on the boat. But I am anticipating that the room will be very small. Teminal 5 is one of the reasons my husband wants me to take his luggage with me. I am thinking that either using the safety vests (handy in taxis - London Black cabs) or buying britaxes there would be the most convenient. Alternatively I could take the monarchs that I have here with me as they are lighter than the boulevards and probably lighter than the frontiers I just ordered (see what I mean about a fleet of car seats!!!!)

If I buy britaxes there I was going to get them on Amazon.co.uk and have them shipped to my parents house so my sister (also car seat worrier) can install them before we arrive, I guess though I would be looking at the UK equivalent of the britax parkway (hi liner). I would rather buy the vests here though as I can also use them in taxis, and then bring then back to the UK for occassional use - but worried about the SIP. Sorry about all the rambling I actually have been worrying about this for months!

USmominOz

I know that this sounds odd, but even though I am only visiting (I live in the US) as I am a British Citizen would I be allowed to use US car seats? I am not flying we are sailing, it will however be just me and the kids so I will have to manage my luggage, their luggage and my husbands luggage as he is flying over later and there is no baggage limit on the boat. But I am anticipating that the room will be very small. Teminal 5 is one of the reasons my husband wants me to take his luggage with me. I am thinking that either using the safety vests (handy in taxis - London Black cabs) or buying britaxes there would be the most convenient. Alternatively I could take the monarchs that I have here with me as they are lighter than the boulevards and probably lighter than the frontiers I just ordered (see what I mean about a fleet of car seats!!!!)

If I buy britaxes there I was going to get them on Amazon.co.uk and have them shipped to my parents house so my sister (also car seat worrier) can install them before we arrive, I guess though I would be looking at the UK equivalent of the britax parkway (hi liner). I would rather buy the vests here though as I can also use them in taxis, and then bring then back to the UK for occassional use - but worried about the SIP. Sorry about all the rambling I actually have been worrying about this for months!

Don't the vests require the tether? I just asked my friend who is from the UK and she said that most cars do not have the tether.

U

Unregistered

Don't the vests require the tether? I just asked my friend who is from the UK and she said that most cars do not have the tether.

the vest only require tether with lap only belts with lap shoulder they do not.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Your kids are American, right? It's fine to use their seats there for a short visit.

However, given HOW you're traveling, I'd go with the vests. They'll offer as much SIP as a harness would, so I'd be ok with them. Conversely I'd maybe bring a couple of backless boosters for kids of their ages and sizes. But if I owned vests I'd go with those first.

Wendy

izzyh4

Thank you that's really helpful. and definetely more cost effective than buying the vests and HBB. You think the vests would be OK even though there is no side impact in the car?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I do. The vests, due to their construction, will offer a bit of SIP. I'd be perfectly comfortable with Piper in one for travel, and depending actually on how much time we spend traveling in cities here and abroad without our own car I may very well get her one (she's just squeaking into the size range now, though, so it'll wait until she's a bit heavier).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC