Going to grandmas this weekend, FFing or RFing

fyrfightermomma

My kids are going to their grandmas for the weekend. We have three MA's and an EFTA. I'm not sure I trust MIL totally buckling the 2.5 yr old in RFing (you hafta scrunch her up just right to make sure shes sitting right to buckle her in) I noticed when my mom had her last week (this is the first time in either kids lives that grandparents have watched them for a weekend...this is not a normal occurance!) :) she couldn't buckle the older one in right. The straps were always falling off her shoulders(yet the baby was fine). When the 2 year old was FFing she had them on her shoulders correctly. Almost like FFing was easier to keep the straps on their shoulders or something. We ended up putting the 2.5 yr old FFing because we knew she wuold buckle her correctly but we also knew they werent planning on going anywhere (and they didn't) so we knew it would only be in an emergency she was FFing.

So this weekend MIL is taking them and she has the kids way less. In fact shes never had them in her car ever. So I dont trust her with buckling them up right. I have the same concern about her trying to get my older daughter in RFing and positioned right(shes so tall she takes alot of manuvering) and her being 64, not sure shes up for the challenge of lifting her up. Do you think I should just put the older ones seat in FFing?? This time they will be driving alot and taking them places. She is 2.5 and 24 pounds.

Which seat woudl be better FFing(the MA or EFTA)?? I was thinking the EFTA so I wuoldnt have the hassle of moving harness heights, but I just feel like the MA is "safer" (and yes, I know there is no data to support that) but thats how I feel anways.

Any thoughts??? I'm not even sure a RFing seat will fit behind her driver seat anyways. And my 12 month old MUST be RFing so she'd be behind pass. seat. I guess my 2.5 yr old doesnt really "need" to be RFing, but I'd prefer it. Aghhhh!!! Help please! Is she fine FFing this little bit???

ADS

libranbutterfly

I let Kamille ride FF with Granny after 2. If I was with them, she was rf. It was just easier for granny and papaw to buckle her correctly. They have a hard enough time with the simple rules of no coats in the seats, dont take the seats out, and chestclip at armpit level.

Last edited:

TerisBoys

I'd let her FF.

The safest seat for her is the one that's going to be used properly - if you've got worries that her harness won't be properly tightened when RF, then she's not safe.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yeah, the few times Evan has been in MIL's car, he's always been ffing. He got to ride rfing in the 3rd row of my parent's car on vacation and it was pretty funny watching my dad buckle him in through the trunk though! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC