Energy absorbing material - updated CMVSS standard

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had noticed a few months back that CMVSS 213 had been updated to require energy absorbing material in any area that a child's head could contact during a collision.

So during my BRU trip tonight, I pulled back the covers on all the convertible and combination seats they had, and all of the evenflo combo and cosco/safety 1st seats have foam now. I didn't get a chance to check all the infants... I'm going to have to check the scenera next time I get a chance to at our wal-mart to see.

Oh, and the generations belt guide is now under the headrest the same as the apex. I'm not sure how it was before, but that's how it is now.

The EFTA display was gone, but the girl said they're expecting 14 in in around 3wks time. She also said a lot of people have been asking for it. I'm sure that's partly due to the full page ad in the baby catalog, but I won't complain about that since I'd much rather have parents using this seat than a 3in1. :thumbsup:

eta: So in other words, all the convertibles and all the combo seats are compliant with the updated standards. The foam isn't dense the same way as the EPS seems on the MA, looks like it's bigger pieces, but it's foam nonetheless and falls into the category of energy absorbing material. :thumbsup:

ADS

lemurmommies

Please do let us know if/when you get a chance to take a look at the infant seats. I have a Graco Snugride purchased in late 2006, and we're hoping to have a second child in srping/summer 2009. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade our infant seat at that time because of the new foam regulations.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Please do let us know if/when you get a chance to take a look at the infant seats. I have a Graco Snugride purchased in late 2006, and we're hoping to have a second child in srping/summer 2009. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade our infant seat at that time because of the new foam regulations.

I know for sure all of the new snugride's have EPS foam in them. It looks like the back adjust are starting to become the minority of styles too, but still available at wal-mart at the very least. But for a $95 seat you with EPS you can't expect too much.... I'm most curious to check the evenflo and safety 1st infant seats.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Interesting. :) I'm subscribing to this thread and waiting with bated breath to find out what you see when you peek under the cover of a Canadian Scenera.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC