Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Unregistered

Smile FF Car seat in the middle or by the door?

Okay, so I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. I currently have my 3 yr. old son's front facing car seat in the middle backseat of my Jeep Liberty, but it doesn't leave much room for anyone to sit back there. I've always heard that you should put your car seat in the middle (opposed to the drivers or passenger's side door) because if I were to be hit by another car on the side, my son would have a better chance of not being injured. Is it just as safe to put his car seat on a side? I know this would be much easier to get him in and out of the car as well. Any thoughts out there?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: FF Car seat in the middle or by the door?

The middle is definitely safest, but truthfully any seat in the back is very safe. If I only had one kid, I'd leave them in the middle if it were me...but if it's life alteringly inconvenient, I'd put it on the side. No matter what, make sure it's installed properly and top tethered (that is an extremely important safety feature that's often downplayed in the manuals), and he'll have the odds on his side.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

We have Ashley's RF Diplomat outboard in my Saab using LATCH because I wasn't happy with the fit in the middle using the seatbelt. It's tethor anchored. We have her Blvd outboard in the Explorer using LATCH because there is no middle seat in the second row. Again, it's tethor anchored. Both seats have tsip so I feel ok about it. I agree it's a lot easier getting them in and out of the car in that position too.
    Jessica(DD1 6/8/07.DD2 12/27/10)

It is definatley easier getting them out of a side board position, however, the middle position is safest. Until my 2nd is born, I always have my dd in the middle positions of our vehicles. UNLESS we are traveling with a 3rd adult, then I get into the back too. When this happens, we do move her to an outboard position so that I have more room. I would recommend doing this for yourselves as well. If the trip is short, then I just suck it up and remain a little squished, if it is long (a few hours) then I move her seat over. Hope this helps!
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08