3 Across in a Chevy Tracker?

U

Unregistered

Hi! I need help fast! We have 2 children now and are adopting again. Has anyone put 3 across in a Chevy Tracker? We have a 4 y.o. in a Britax Monarch Booster Seat using the shoulder seat belt and an almost 1 year old (22 lbs) in a RF Britax Boulevard attached w/LATCH. There's barely enough room for a diaper bag between them now. The new child here in 2 weeks will be almost 2 y.o. and is 22 lbs. Our Tracker is a 2003, 4 door version with LATCH and the middle of the back seat only has a lap seat belt (no shoulder harness) so the 4 y.o. has to be on one side or the other in the back..I don't know what year the car is, but it's a 4dr and has LATCH.

Anyone done it or have suggestions? I'd rather buy new car seats than a new vehicle right now. Thanks!

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
What about a RF Radian for the new kiddo and a Radian FF for the 4yo? If you install the Blvd RF with the seatbelt, sometimes you can eek about another inch or so of room.

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much. My that was quick!! :) I was just reading one of the coffee break topics of 3 across vehicles that have been successfully installed and didn't see my specific Tracker. But the Radian was mentioned over and over again. So was the AO and a Touriva (which I've not heard good things about). Going this weekend to Babies R Us to see if that'll work. Just in case it doesn't, keep the suggestions coming! THANKS AGAIN!

U

Unregistered1

I agree with Radians for the new child and your 4 year old. In a tight fit, boosters don't work very well since you have to reach between seats to buckle them in. A five point harness is also safer than a booster. The Radian is also one of the narrowest seats on the market so it should make squeezing them all in a little easier. You can RF the one for the 2 year old (crash tests and current information all conclusively state that RF is safer to the limits of the car seat) and FF the one for the four year old. That way not only will you have narrower seats to make installation work out better, but your 4 year old will also be a step up in safety :)

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I definitely recommend putting the 4 year old back into a harnessed seat such as the Radian. At 4 years, children are very unlikely to have the necessary maturity level to sit correctly in a booster seat. The harness will also offer increased safety protection, spreading the crash forces over 5 points instead of the 3 of the seatbelt.

A RF Radian for the new baby and a FF Radian for the 4 year old would be your best bet for both 3 across and maximum safety.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thank you so much. My that was quick!! :) I was just reading one of the coffee break topics of 3 across vehicles that have been successfully installed and didn't see my specific Tracker. But the Radian was mentioned over and over again. So was the AO and a Touriva (which I've not heard good things about). Going this weekend to Babies R Us to see if that'll work. Just in case it doesn't, keep the suggestions coming! THANKS AGAIN!

I would steer clear of the AO. I don't think the Touriva is made any more, but the Scenera is pretty much the same thing. You might get some use out of it for the 2 yr old, but it's a short-term solution, as it will be outgrown early. If you have any USA Baby or other specialty baby store near you, they should have the Radian, so you can try that out in your car.

U

Unregistered

I'm glad you said that about USA Baby. Any other suggestions of stores? We don't have too much around here. Every single Target, Babies R Us, Walmart and Burlington Coat Factory/Baby Depot I've called in 2 surrounding states plus my own acts like I'm nuts. None of them carry them in their stores. You can only order them online. DH and I measured the backseat and I came up with 50 inches while he says it's 52. I don't know if this is going to work but I really need to find one of these seats and install it. If you order online, I think you have to ship it back if it doesn't fit (local stores won't take them as returns).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Elitecarseats.com has a shipping insurance thingy where you pay $3 or something, and it covers return shipping if you don't like it.

The Bjorns

Babies R Us has no clue what a Radian is.

A specialty baby store is what you need to try out the Radian--USA Baby is great. FFing the Radian is such a slim profile, but comfy. My 4 yr old likes riding in hers in Grandma's car (just doesn't like the shoulder pads). Still lots of room to grow and she's 43" and 45 lbs!

skipspin

I would try a FFing Radian, then a RFing Radian and Rfing Britax. Sometimes just moving the seats into a different order will made a huge difference, and I think this order will puzzle together very well and might allow the RFing radian to fit between the two front seats so you have just enough room. You could try a Cosco Scenera instead of the Rfing Radian, but I don't think it will puzzle as well.

If you can't find the Radian anywhere to try you could let us know where you are and maybe someone has some info that's not easy to find.

U

Unregistered

We're in Maryland halfway between DC and Delaware. HELP! I've called every Target, Walmart, Babies R Us and Baby Depot and none of them have heard of it. No USA Baby nearby. I'm really doubting that three will fit in the backseat.

We went looking for new/used minivans this weekend and measured the second row seat of an '07 Suzuki XL7 and that backseat measured 49". I can't believe my Tracker's backseat is almost 2 inches longer!

I did look at the Elite website and thanks for the info about the insurance/reduce return shipping. It's $4.00 but what a break, especially if I buy and then have to return 3 seats!!! I just would rather try it out before purchasing $600 + in car seats. Know what I mean?? :)

U

Unregistered

I have to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of you who recommended trying the Radian and ignoring the numbers. All three fit in the back of my Chevy Tracker!! YAY ME!!! So if anyone else has doubts about 3 across the backseat, just try it! If they can fit in the back of my tiny SUV, they'll fit in the back of yours. :) Thanks again!

A true believer!

U

UnregisteredL

I have to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of you who recommended trying the Radian and ignoring the numbers. All three fit in the back of my Chevy Tracker!! YAY ME!!! So if anyone else has doubts about 3 across the backseat, just try it! If they can fit in the back of my tiny SUV, they'll fit in the back of yours. :) Thanks again!

A true believer!

Hi I have now that problem I have a 6 year old in a Graco booster and a 4 year old in a safety 1st but like you mentioned there is no way I can fit a third kid. I am pregnant and in a month my baby will be here. I don't know what to do can you tell me what you did. Thank you for your time

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC