Graco Nautilus vs Britax Frontier- side impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptsang

Hello.
I have been following the GN and Frontier treads recently.

I think most of the concerns and issues raised, such as the slot height, arm rest, cup holder issues, are quite valid concerns. I am just a bit surprised that when folks compare the two, the fact that the Briatx Frontier has the TSIP claim ( true side impact protection) whereas the Nautilus doesn't, has not been stressed. Isn't this significant safety feature a BIG selling point for the Frontier?

I saw the Graco Nautilus recently in our local baby r us. The "wings" surrounding the head look quite impressive. Frankly, I am a bit disappointed the Graco did not go the extra mile to obtain that side impact protect label.

I bet if Graco can get that TSIP label, I am sure they can take quite a bit of business from Britax.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Britax has patented the name "True Side Impact Protection," so other carseat manufacturers can only state side impact protection. I'm not sure if the Nautilus states this or not.

One thing to keep in mind, is that there are no standards in north america for side impact testing, and as such we can't really compare seats in that arena. Any seat with EPS/EPP foam in the head area, should provide a good degree of side impact protection.

TSIP as it stands right now, is purely marketing and not based on FMVSS standards. Carseat manufacturers don't release their test results for the most part, so for all we know other seats perform just as well in side impacts as the Britax seats.

So I guess I'm just saying that it's really not a case of going the extra mile to get that certification... it's not a certification that Britax is putting on their seats. It's a marketing of their own testing methods/seat design and doesn't necessarily mean that in a comparison amongst other seat manufacturers their seats would perform better in a side impact crash. We just have no way of knowing...

ptsang

Thanks Trudy. Good insight.
Well. I am just surprised that Graco is not "Marketing" side impact as a feature. You figure they should be good at advertising, right?

Frankly, I also saw the First year ( Compass) True Fit. And they market the seat as side impact tested. You know, there is really minimal "wing" protection of the head. It should be called a "lip" around the head. It is almost to the point of me asking, "what are they talking about side impact protection, are they kidding?"

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Radian claims to have SIP, and that's about the shallowest seat you can buy(!). But ever since Consumer Reports declared seats with EPS foam to have better SIP, I think people (marketers) have taken liberties with the term. I think any *harnessed* seat does actually have really good SIP (particularly a top tethered seat that can really prevent side movement relative to the seatbelt), so I don't worry too much about having a harnessed seat with extra headwings... but when it comes to boosters, I think the extra testing (Britax does do some fairly impressive testing, I've toured their factory and they show great videos, I wish they'd post them online!) that ensures that the wings keep the head contained in a crash are a very positive feature, particularly if your car lacks curtain airbags.

:twocents::)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I've seen the crash test videos and I'm convinced enough to make sure any booster I get has wings that fully protect the head. We all know any shell will protect some, but I want some big time protection. :) Hopefully my Monterey will deliver.

ptsang

Thanks Julie.
You mentioned the side curtain airbag. As you know, that has become a double edge sword. I think many of us are concerned, as you probably also know, that the side curtains potentially can be pretty harmful. It is kind of silly. We need protection from the side curtain that is protecting our kids.....
go figure.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks Julie.
You mentioned the side curtain airbag. As you know, that has become a double edge sword. I think many of us are concerned, as you probably also know, that the side curtains potentially can be pretty harmful. It is kind of silly. We need protection from the side curtain that is protecting our kids.....
go figure.

It's side torso airbags that are a concern - the ones that come from the edge of the vehicle seat and deploy forwards - those are the ones that there is some concern over - although standards are high for detection of out of place occupants.

Side curtain airbags - aka roof rail airbags, deploy down from the roof along the window. Any child in a harnessed carseat who is harnessed properly, isn't going to be against the door, so it should really be a non-issue. :thumbsup: Older children however, do need to be taught not to lean against the door as that does potentially put them in the path of the airbag. (The same applies for adults to not lean on the door. ;))

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:yeahthat:

Fortunately, so far there's no evidence side curtain airbags are dangerous to kids...front airbags? torso bags in older cars (I say older because now they go through rigorous 'child out of position testing')? I'm scared of those puppies, that's for sure :(

ZephyrBlue

Well. I am just surprised that Graco is not "Marketing" side impact as a feature. You figure they should be good at advertising, right?

I don't think that Graco can market their products as having some kind of true SIP without doing testing on said protection, can they? I know that Britax actually tests their seats in side impact collision scenarios, I'm not sure that Graco does the same. Does anyone know for sure?

tl01

Thanks Trudy. Good insight.

Frankly, I also saw the First year ( Compass) True Fit. And they market the seat as side impact tested. You know, there is really minimal "wing" protection of the head. It should be called a "lip" around the head. It is almost to the point of me asking, "what are they talking about side impact protection, are they kidding?"

I think the True Fit is a pretty deep seat actually. I can see how it would provide some additional protection along the entire torso of a child.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think that Graco can market their products as having some kind of true SIP without doing testing on said protection, can they? I know that Britax actually tests their seats in side impact collision scenarios, I'm not sure that Graco does the same. Does anyone know for sure?

I think they sell the SIP on the Safeseats 1 and 2, so they probably do some side testing (like Britax, it's possible they have a side crash test bench in Europe or the UK). My only guess would be that it's rather expensive to do that testing and work that kind of design into a seat, and maybe they were trying to keep this seat at a lower price point? :confused:

ZephyrBlue

Julie, that makes sense. I know that every time a crash sled runs that it's crazy expensive; it doesn't make sense for Graco to do extensive SIP testing/engineering if they're only charging $150 for the seat.

U

Unregistered

Hi. There is a lot of good information here. I just want to add that I actually called and spoke w/ a Graco rep. today specifically about the Nautilus. It has NOT been SI tested. However, it meets and exceeds the requirements here in the US.

Thanks again for a great thread.

Mom of twin boys

emandbri

There are now evenflo seats that say they have side impact protection. I can't recall the exact wording I saw it on a tribute at a check.

Baylor

Are their any actual test results on the Nautlius performance in a crash?

And FYI.. My New Nautilus now does say SIP on the head rest.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There is no side impact testing standard. All internal manufacturer side impact tests are proprietary.

In that this thread is 2 years old, I am locking it as at least one model in question has been replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC