RF tether

PixieEMT

Does anyone tether their Britax seats like this in the US? My MA maual shows this way. I thought someone mentioned here before that you can't tether seats like this? :scratcheshead:
DSC03226.jpg

ADS

megabloxs

My Marathon manual says that is okay to do. It is the Australian method.
All too often the straps get in the way and it can be hard to get the child in to and out of the seat. That is why most people prefer the Swedish method, no straps to get in the way.

Loves2sing

I believe I have also seen here that we aren't allowed to do it this way in North America as well. I'll search back and see if I can find a thread.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
For a while Britax said no, but as usual changed it again so you could. I don't reccomend tethering like that, but only b/c I think the tether is best used to prevent rebounding. This method of tethering only prevents excess downward movement which we know is o.k. and is regulated.

crunchierthanthou

The Australian method (like the OP's picture) is fine. I prefer the Swedish method (toward the front of the vehicle). They both stablilize the the top of the seat in a side impact or rollover crash. The difference is that the Aussie method reduces downward rotation and the Swedish method reduces rebound toward the rear of the vehicle. Downward rotation usually isn't a big concern with convertibles because the vehicle seat in front of it will stop it in many cases. Also, it's a bit more cumbersome with the tether routed over where the child sits.

Britax took the Australian method out of the DC manual for a while, and there was speculation they'd be changing it for all of the convertibles. It turns out they were doing some additional testing that wasn't done by the printing deadline. They've since put it back in the DC manual and it has always been in the other convertible manuals.

I don't believe you can do it with the SSK Radians. They only allow the Swedish method.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC