Rear-facing past 1 yr - why don't they change law/recommendations?

Annark

Sorry if this is asked all the time - I searched but couldn't find anything. I am totally sold on the safety benefits of "extended" (ie past 1 yr/20 lbs) rear-facing. But I only know about this thanks to a car seat tech on another board. My friends all follow the recommendations, which just say rear-facing to 1 year/20 lbs. The pamphlet they give you really makes it sound like you should turn FF then, so they all think I'm nuts for keeping DS RF. Not that I care, but I think it's a shame that the powers-that-be don't emphasize more that it's safer to remain RF for as long as possible. After all, people do put a lot of faith in their recommendations - on friend said to me "Well I'm sure the gov't would require it if it made that much of a difference". :mad:

Just wondering if anyone knows why the best practices aren't promoted more heavily?

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Welcome to our world! It takes a LONG time for practice to catch up with research---just one generation ago, children were coming home from the hospital in their mother's arms. Now carseat useage is 90-some %. We're making changes...but it takes time...making laws takes time.

Susan

finleysmommy

I ask myself this all the time OP. When I try to talk some of my friends it's like banging my head against a brick wall.

Last edited:

*HH*

I have heard that question that you got so many times here where I live, in Norway. "If it is so much safer why do they at all sell FF car seats". It is so difficult to argument against these questions, because in my opinion there should be a law saying that children should RF longer than the law says, thats 9 kg.

Momto3Divaz

:( Unless its on T.V and people start seeing celebraties doing it and 'everyone else' starts to catch on no one else is going to do it....Its a shame friends and co-workers alike think Im an absolute nutcase when it comes to this subject.....

Mommy2Marcus

I fully agree. I have read & know the benefits of ERF & feel like everyone should know. I do however know some people who think I'm crazy, IE my SIL that asked me in a confused voice why I had not turned my DS FF yet! He is 17 m/o & is RF. I share the RF information I have with everyone & sometimes the people I share it with are like Thanks...and other times they look at me like I've sprouted a third head! Hehe!

skaterbabs

I have been told it's because they can't get people to meet the old minimum - they honestly believe mentioning the new one will cause fewer people to meet the old one.

Obviously someone doesn't know how to count IMO. If you want someone to make it to 24 months and 30 lbs RF, telling them it's okay to turn FF at 12 months and 20 lbs isn't going to cut it, but that's what they do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC