Any SUV 'the best' in general...

Wife&MomX3

....for fitting 3 car seats? Id like one w/ 3 spots for tethering, since all 3 kids will be FF eventually. DH is shoppin for a vehicle, wants an SUV, but I know carseat safety specs Rnt his top priority. Just wondering if anybody knows which vehicles to avoid or which they love for ease of use w/ 3 kids in carseats, TIA! (I'll have 3 under 3.5, so we'll have 3 carseats for a long time).
ETA: We'll be buying used, 5-10 yrs old, in case that makes a diff for make and model.

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

It really depends on the seats in question and the vehicle. Typically I like vehicles with locking latchplates (GM, Dodge, Jeep) for car seat installs, but that's a personal preference.

ali's mom

I love my '05 Suburban. I have a RF MA, HB TB, and a GN in the middle row. None of them are touching, so there is plenty of room. There are 3 tether anchors for the middle row. There is also a RF tether anchor on the front passenger seat for the middle row. I have not put seats in the third row, but there is at least one anchor for that row. My '99 Suburban fit 3 carseats in the middle and third rows!! I do daycare, so at one point, I had 6 carseats safely installed in the '99. I haven't tried it in the '05.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Actually, in my own experience, I've found full size sedans to be easier than SUVs for 3 across. SUVs are bigger and taller, but the back seat isn't necessarily wider. Something like an Impala, Taurus, or Intrepid would be relatively easy to fit 3 across. A Blazer, not so much. (that's not to say it can't be done! 3 across is possible with most cars, but it's definitely easier in some than others)

Of course, something with 3 rows of seating would be the easiest for fitting 3 car seats :p

skaterbabs

It is absolutely true that sedans are sometimes easier than SUVs for car seat installs. That said, you don't even need to go to a full size one for that.

skipspin

The 03 to 07 Saturn Vues have three sets of LATCH and 3 TAs. I'm not sure that the Regent would fit three across, but three other Britax seats will for sure, or two Britax and a Radian. The Regent does install well outboard with the seatbelt, I just never tried it with two other seats.

Also, 3 LATCH positions may not be that important as you think. Most LATCH limits are 48 lbs, so you'd have to use the seatbelt over 48lbs anyway. I also prefer LATCH for RFing convertible seats, but I think they Britax seats are just as easy to install with the seatbelt FFing. I always just keep my seats with the LATCH for RFing and use the seatbelt for FFing. (I did use LATCH for the Radian FFing in the Vue, because the seatbelt didn't work with it in the center.)

skaterbabs

With a Regent, your best bet is something with three rows. While 3-across CAN be done with it, it's not easy and it's easier to just get three rows.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
If your wanting 3 across with the seats you have then a Tahoe/Suburban would be a good option. Plus the full size GM SUV (Tahoe/Suburban & cousin models) have a rear facing tether on the front passenger leg for convertibles that allow rf tethering.

2 Regents (both outboard) & a Roundabout center puzzle perfectly for a 3 across if you ever need that. So your current seats would be no issues.

Wife&MomX3

Why would I need to do 3 across if there R 2 rows of seats? I thought the point of the mini van or SUV was so U didnt have to worry about squeezing 3 across on one seat.:scratcheshead:

wildeyes

i second a bigger car like the impala. i can fit an apex outboard next to a rf scenera in the middle, so i'm assuming i could get a wide range of seats next to the rf scenera on the other side. my car however, is a different story.

steph

....for fitting 3 car seats? Id like one w/ 3 spots for tethering, since all 3 kids will be FF eventually. DH is shoppin for a vehicle, wants an SUV, but I know carseat safety specs Rnt his top priority. Just wondering if anybody knows which vehicles to avoid or which they love for ease of use w/ 3 kids in carseats, TIA! (I'll have 3 under 3.5, so we'll have 3 carseats for a long time).
ETA: We'll be buying used, 5-10 yrs old, in case that makes a diff for make and model.

I've seen 3 across in an Acura MDX (one of the members here has done it) which I think were a Regent, Boulevard and Peg infants seat. I've also seen 3 across in a Honda Pilot but that was 2 Radians and a Booster.

ETA: I just saw that your buying an older car, not sure if the dimensions of the models have changed, both the above situations were with new cars (2006 and up).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Yeah, and DD will move to an Apex when she outgrows the RA. They Rnt as wide as the Regent, but they R close.

Sorry I assumed (my fault) that you wanted all 3 in the same row. I think I got that from all the replies.

I still stick with the Tahoe/Suburban though. It has 3 top tethers in the 2nd row bench or 2 if you do caption chairs in the 2nd row. It also has 1 top tether in the 3rd row. It also has a the rear face tether hook for your rear facing child on the front passenger seat leg.

I have a Tahoe and I love it. I have had it for over 3yrs now with no issues besides normal routine maintaince & new tires.

DILLIGAFF

The SUV myth seems to pile up !

I saw at 1st hand a crash with a SUV and Pontiac Grand Am when I just arrived from Iraq in Ft Hood TX. We helped the motorists, the SUV girl was thrown out of her car, the sedan driver she drove the car away and she was unharmed.

People that drives these things has 2 things in mind, looks and expecting to crash.

Did you know the best way to avoid an accident is to get in to one? So I have an 03 Impala. Bought it in Invert Grove Heights in Minnesota. Never skid off the road, never been involved in a wreck. Dodged quiet a few of them. The wife and I go skiing in Colorado and we take my car. Most vehicles we see off the road are SUVs (braking dynamics still the same for any car). SUVs are harder to control due to a higher center of gravity (for all ya, is too tall ! ). A van has more cargo space than that, if you are looking for room and better in and out exit. I just towed a Motorcycle and a Wash Machine on a trailer with my Impala from Wichita KS to Tulsa OK, with a 25 MPG at 70 MPH.

My wife drives an 07 Beetle and sure is one of the most easier to control vehicles I ever driven. Goes though bad weather like champ and is one of the most safest vehicles around (usually gets 4 stars or more out of 5). I am 6 FT and I fit pretty comfy.

We looked carefully on SUVs, checked every possibility. The most cost effective way to have a new vehicle with a better resale value and get the most of it was a car.

So the bottom line is, SUVs are belly buttons, seems that everyone has one and I am not everybody ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I saw at 1st hand a crash with a SUV and Pontiac Grand Am when I just arrived from Iraq in Ft Hood TX. We helped the motorists, the SUV girl was thrown out of her car, the sedan driver she drove the car away and she was unharmed.

The SUV girl probably wasn't wearing her seatbelt if she was thrown from the vehicle. And ejection is going to happen in any vehicle in similar circumstances if you're not wearing the seatbelt.

This instance speaks nothing of the safety of an SUV, rather it states that if the sedan driver was ok & unharmed, the SUV driver should've fared similarly had she been wearing her seatbelt. :thumbsup:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The SUV myth seems to pile up !

Can you share a police report? Otherwise, there isn't enough information here to make any kind of conclusion.

People that drives these things has 2 things in mind, looks and expecting to crash.

Did you know the best way to avoid an accident is to get in to one? So I have an 03 Impala. Bought it in Invert Grove Heights in Minnesota. Never skid off the road, never been involved in a wreck. Dodged quiet a few of them. The wife and I go skiing in Colorado and we take my car. Most vehicles we see off the road are SUVs (braking dynamics still the same for any car). SUVs are harder to control due to a higher center of gravity (for all ya, is too tall ! ). A van has more cargo space than that, if you are looking for room and better in and out exit. I just towed a Motorcycle and a Wash Machine on a trailer with my Impala from Wichita KS to Tulsa OK, with a 25 MPG at 70 MPH.

My wife drives an 07 Beetle and sure is one of the most easier to control vehicles I ever driven. Goes though bad weather like champ and is one of the most safest vehicles around (usually gets 4 stars or more out of 5). I am 6 FT and I fit pretty comfy.

Many of the newer car-based crossover SUVs have quite reasonable handling, approaching that of larger cars. Add stability control and they are significantly safer than the midsize and fullsize SUVs of just 5 years ago. Many car-based SUVs are quite reasonable in terms of both crash avoidance and crash protection.

We looked carefully on SUVs, checked every possibility. The most cost effective way to have a new vehicle with a better resale value and get the most of it was a car.

So the bottom line is, SUVs are belly buttons, seems that everyone has one and I am not everybody ;)

Cars do tend to be more cost effective, no doubt about that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC