LATCH and ISOFIX - compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopster67

I have a US car seat with LATCH connectors and a European car with ISOFIX. Are the compatible? Can I install the car seat using the ISOFIX bars? Of course I can do a standard belt installation, but it is so much easier to connect using the LATCH connectors that I'd like to do that (and I know DH will try it), but not if it's going to risk DD's safety.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

ADS

southpawboston

I have a US car seat with LATCH connectors and a European car with ISOFIX. Are the compatible? Can I install the car seat using the ISOFIX bars? Of course I can do a standard belt installation, but it is so much easier to connect using the LATCH connectors that I'd like to do that (and I know DH will try it), but not if it's going to risk DD's safety.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

is your car a european *market* car? i.e., was your car purchased in europe? the lower anchors (part of the LATCH acronym: lower anchors and tethers for children) are the same anchors that are called ISOFIX in markets outside of the US and canada. so yes, in theory you can use them. however, many european cars with ISOFIX do not have the top tether anchor, which US market cars have. if you have a US seat with LATCH, it requires the use of a top tether as well. check to see if your car has the top tether. i know that some cars sold in the US still label their lower anchors "ISOFIX" even though they are technically um... LATCH and have the top tether anchor.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In fact, LATCH/ISOFIX is called "LUAS" in Canada. No matter what you call it, it's the same thing. We just do not generally refer to it as LUAS because the word "LATCH" has been so popularized with the carseat manufacturers and from online in American-dominated forums :)

-Nicole.

bbartlettnfld

The only difference I have seen between LATCH bars and ISOFIX bars are that the ISOFIX bars tend to be recessed into the seat bight a bit more than US LATCH bars are.
This makes no difference if you are using a seat that has the "Britax" style (I don't know the right word "Alligator" style?) Clips, but if you are using the open hook LATCH hooks it is a very difficult clip them, you have to turn the hook to the side and the twist it and hope it clips.
Man I hope this makes sense.. Its way past my bedtime and too late to be posting technical responses!

Oh and in Canada isn't it just UAS "Universal Anchor system" When did they add the L?

hopster67

Car is a European car purchased and operating in Europe. I don't know about the tethers, will have to check. Never used tethers with DD's infant seat so wasn't aware of the need for them. Luckily the car seat is a Britax car seat with those alligator clips (good description!). I'll check the owner's manual on the car and see what I find out about the tethers. The bars are more recessed than LATCH.

Thanks!!

southpawboston

if you are going to continue RFing, then you don't need the top tether anchor. that is only for FFing seats.

the top tether anchors are only now becoming popular in europe, and they're still not even required by law. in the US, they have been standard for at least 8 years.

emin

if you are going to continue RFing, then you don't need the top tether anchor. that is only for FFing seats.

the top tether anchors are only now becoming popular in europe, and they're still not even required by law. in the US, they have been standard for at least 8 years.

In Europe we use a support leg instead forward facing, to prevent the seat to tilt forwards in a crash. But in my European Ford 2006-model it is anchorage points for a top tether anchor. And of course isofix, which came a standard in all new European cars in ca. 2007.

U

Unregistered

I know most more recent European cars have the anchor point for the top tether. But I actually found the tether itself only on very few child seats, no matter if FF or RF. For my personal taste especially with RF seats the tether is easier to do than the additional foot. But then I have seen those mainly on seats which have been of a quite high or bulky form. For most, especially FF seats with the locked rigid Isofix bars, the seat only would be able to tip over if the car seat itself gives way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC