evenflo right fits don't expire?

courtfrog2

This just came to me in an email. What does he mean that the expiry dates are not put on because the plastic can deteriorate? I'm confused! I wonder if he is just talking about boosters. I wonder if he watched the 10 year old britax video?

Last edited:
ADS

skaterbabs

It's only this one booster (and I think one of the Recaro boosters) that does not have an experation date. It's the one Evenflo makes for "institutional" use (giveaways).

TerisBoys

Ok - even though Evenflo has said "No Expiration" - how long is everyone honestly comfortable using one?

The RightFit my mom has for an emergency spare has a 6/1999 DOM (I thought it was newer). Up until 2 weeks ago, my mom had a Futura in her van for Ryan and the RightFit was in her garage. Now Faeanne has my Futura, and I was SHOCKED when I saw the DOM on my RightFit when I went to use it for William last week (it was pouring, and my van was around the block in the garage or I'd have grabbed his SR/C).

It's still in good shape for being 9.5 years old. Labels are starting to crack, but are legible. And I've had it it's entire 'life' so I know it hasn't been mishandled (though it has spent the last 2 years in an unheated garage in MI).

Mom needs a seat once in a blue moon - mainly she has one on hand in case something happens to Ryan at school/daycare because she can get to him first in an emergency. Any other time I swap seats out of my van into hers.

TECHS - WWYD?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd use it as an excuse to get a new seat, UNLESS I really, really needed the three-acrossability (I think Clek will be the new narrow seat, it's a pity they cost so much, the Right Fit is so perfect :().

But really, if it's not cracked or weak or brittle looking? I'd probably keep using it... :)

TerisBoys

Oh yes - it's also one of the original ones with the 60# weight limit - though it has the 'cup' on the bottom which I was told at one time meant it had been changed retroactively to be good to 80#.

The more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with it. It's not like it was a pricy seat to start with, and I just need an inexpensive (HighRise, or backless Turbo) to replace it for 'just in case' - mom works literally 2 minutes from school/daycare. I'm 10-15 and that's assuming my boss or one of the crew guys is around to cover phones.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My 80 pound one has the 'cup' on the bottom, it's like 01 or so...

High Rises at Kmart have the cutest blue camo, and are on sale for 12 sometimes, keep any eye out for one :)

TerisBoys

OK - no blue camo. Our Kmart only has the girly pink butterfly camo (which admittedly is cute, but both Faeanne and I would be shot for giving them to our 11yo's).

Loves2sing

I am sorry, but I CAN NOT agree with that guy sayins that plastic doesn't deteriorate. I used to work in the Optical business and often saw plastic frames breaking when only about 2 years old sometimes. It does deteriorate, and the 10 year old britax crash test PROOVES it. I understand that they may have had different reasons for posting expiry dates on the seats, but surley deteriorating plastic had to be among the reasons. How could it NOT be?:confused:

TerisBoys

The other thing that bothers me is it says "Any RightFit that has been in storage and is unused, complete and not otherwise damaged is appropriate for use."

Mine has NOT been in storage (I don't count an unheated garage between use 'storage') and definately not unused.

I'm going to email Randy Kiser (the original sender of the email) and see what he says.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC