Anyone have the new Scion XB?

essnce629

I know at least one person on here does right? Now that the Subaru Outback has been crossed off our list, my boyfriend is now leaning towards the new XB. For those that have one, how much bigger is the trunk area in the 08 model (how deep is it)? Also, I'm assuming it's pretty easy to install carseats in it since the seats are nice and flat. Is this correct? And do you think it would be possible to ever get 3 seats in a row? We only have one child right now and only have plans to have two kids, but just thinking about the possibilty of ever transporting a friend in a carseat or maybe even just an additional adult. What are your likes/dislikes about the car? Any carseat pics in it? My son is in a Regent right now in my car, but we will probably be getting a Frontier which would end up in my boyfriend's car.

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I don't but this weekend while sitting at a red light the XB 2 lanes from me got rearended by a Accord and it was not pretty for the XB. The whole back end was crushed. I don't know the speed of the Accord but I would say around 30mph. The driver (only occupant in the vehicle) was in a lot of pain. The Accord was pretty damaged too but it faired a lot better then the XB.

southpawboston

i may be wrong, but i think they renamed the XB to "XD", and it is a total redesign. it is a lot safer than the previous generaiton (XB). regardless of the renaming, it's an all-new design and i believe jeanum's DH has one.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I don't but this weekend while sitting at a red light the XB 2 lanes from me got rearended by a Accord and it was not pretty for the XB. The whole back end was crushed. I don't know the speed of the Accord but I would say around 30mph. The driver (only occupant in the vehicle) was in a lot of pain. The Accord was pretty damaged too but it faired a lot better then the XB.

Keep in mind, too, that they're supposed to do that. Newer cars are designed to absorb more of the impact on the "outside" while keeping the passenger areas intact. That means they'll look awful from the outside, but the inside will have a protected "box" that has (hopefully) prevented intrusion into the passenger areas.

I don't know anything about the Scion, of course, so maybe you took that into account? Anyway, I was just clarifying because people tend to think that less damage to the car equals less damage to the people, but that's not necessarily true with newer designs. :)

scatterbunny

The 2008+ xB gets good scores from both IIHS and NHTSA for frontal crashes, and NHTSA also gives it a good score for side impacts (all kinds of standard airbags). IIHS hasn't tested the xB in side impacts since the 04-06 model (it didn't do well, probably a reason it was redesigned for 08).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yup, we/DH have an '08 xB, purchased late last summer. I joked with DH the other day about the gold limited edition one and how he should have held out for one of those. He thinks it's over the top with the gold "bling-bling." :p

The '08 xB is the redesigned version of the '04-'06 xB model, and it's about a foot longer overall, and a few inches wider than the first generation xBs. I'm not positive exactly how much additional cargo room the '08 xB has over the previous version, but I believe it's a substantial difference. The '08 xB's back seat is quite flat and I have yet to have any difficulty installing carseats in ours. Three carseats across would probably require at least one or more Radian-width seats to be workable, if at all, though. I currently have a Regent installed SBP in the center, next to a RF Recaro Signo installed with the seatbelt on the passenger side. I also was able to install a Radian FF in the center using the seatbelt - the center seatbelt buckle is just a tick forward of the seat bight and needed a twist or two to make it workable with the Radian and Regent SBP. The outboard seatbelt buckles are also noticeably more forward of the seat bight than the center.

The '08 xB is pretty spry and and fun to drive (I tend to have a lead foot when I get behind the wheel because the throttle is peppier than our Sienna's :eek:), and a breeze to park. It's not as smooth or quiet as our Sienna, but I don't exactly expect it to be as it's a smaller and more economically priced vehicle. :) The fun to drive factor, smaller footprint for tight parking spaces, and gas mileage compared to the Sienna and DH's previous Saturn mid-size sedan, are very much appreciated by us. :thumbsup: The xB gets close to 30 mpg highway, low to mid 20 mpg range city, depending on traffic, not as good mileage as the previous xB version, but it's also got a more powerful engine (the same engine used in the 4-cylinder Camry model), and several hundred pounds heavier compared to the previous xB. My only quibbles are the rear pillars are fairly wide and add to the blind spots, and the tire noise is pretty pronounced on the freeway.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the '08 model will fare much better in IIHS side impact crash testing whenever the IIHS gets around to testing it (no idea when this will occur and the IIHS doesn't publicize their crash test schedule in advance). The previous xB model had poor IIHS side impact scores. Unlike the previous xB version, the '08 has standard side curtain airbags (and standard stability control :thumbsup:), which combined with the redesigned body, will hopefully translate into improved IIHS side impact scores.

The '08 Scion xD is an entirely new model Scion altogether, not based on the previous xB or anything else to my knowledge, and smaller than the xB.

Happy car shopping!

P.S. DH insists I mention the '08 xB was chosen by the PBS show, Motorweek, as their overall "driver's choice" car of 2008. I have to remind him that Motorweek rarely says anything negative about any car they test drive, lol, and I have to say I was shocked they crowned the xB best overall, especially against some very spendy luxury models. I'll try to find the link to the glowing Motorweek review in a moment. Edited to add the link: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/dc2008/

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Keep in mind, too, that they're supposed to do that. Newer cars are designed to absorb more of the impact on the "outside" while keeping the passenger areas intact. That means they'll look awful from the outside, but the inside will have a protected "box" that has (hopefully) prevented intrusion into the passenger areas.

I don't know anything about the Scion, of course, so maybe you took that into account? Anyway, I was just clarifying because people tend to think that less damage to the car equals less damage to the people, but that's not necessarily true with newer designs. :)

I understand the whole crumple zones and how the vehicle is supposed to fair in a crash. This one didn't fair very good at all. The damage was extreme for the crash. I have seen worse rated vehicles fair less overall damage then the xB did. Also the driver was injuried pretty badly too where as the Accord driver walked away with no injuries (probably sore the next day).

I have no idea the year model so it could very well be an older model that didn't have good ratings.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I understand the whole crumple zones and how the vehicle is supposed to fair in a crash. This one didn't fair very good at all. The damage was extreme for the crash.

Yeah, I kinda figured you knew that; I just wanted to clarify for those who may not. :thumbsup:

breeze80

I have a new Xb. I love it. I have had no issues installing the two carseats I have Graco SR and an Evenflow Triumph into the car. The Latch system is easy to use, and in the past it's been quite difficult for me to the point that I hated it.

Also, your question about 3 seats, POSSIBLY. I can put DD on one side and DS on the other, and there is barely enough room to squeeze my size 14 bum into it and buckle up. So, if you get a couple of slimmer seats (as my Evenflo is an astronaut chair) then yes, I believe you will be able to do 3 across. :}

And the trunk space holds my jeep liberty urban terrain stroller just fine, width wise, but I cannot stand the stroller up. I need an extra inch :}

I hope this helps. :}

breeze80

i may be wrong, but i think they renamed the XB to "XD", and it is a total redesign. it is a lot safer than the previous generaiton (XB). regardless of the renaming, it's an all-new design and i believe jeanum's DH has one.

The Xd is more along the lines of the Xa which they scrapped and are no longer making.
So they currently only have 3 new models on the market

Xb, Tc and Xd

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC