Contacting Instructor to organize a CPST class?

essnce629

If there's not any scheduled CPST classes in my area can I contact a local instructor to see about organizing one? I checked the Safe Kids website and I found that there is one instructor in my town (Charlottesville, VA), but no scheduled classes. And what about those "controlled/invite only" classes? There's one of those that is about an hour and a half away, but it's in two weeks and I would never be able to go that soon anyways. Would you have to contact the instructor to see if you can get invited?

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
On the invite/controlled classes yes just contact the instructor to see if you could attend. Most of our controlled classes are usually for fire/police/medical field but we do open up a few spots for community people.

You can always contact the instructor in your area about doing a local class. I will say it takes at least 2-3 instructors (depending on class size) to hold a class. Plus a good location (big classroom & big open parking lot) to hold even a class of 10-20 students. They might hold a class set times of year and could tell you when that would be. For example we do a spring/fall class unless we do a controlled class for a set orginazation only.

leighi123

thats how I just got myself into a class- there is one here that wasnt listed on the website.
I emailed the only certified instructor I could find in my area and she emailed me back the next day with lots of good info!

U

Unregistered1

This is pretty much how I got into my class too. I'm a college student so I had serious time constraints on when I could take the class and where (gotta pay for gas!) so I emailed two local instructors to ask if they had any plans in the works for a local class any time soon. As luck would have it, they were planning to announce a class the next week and I got the second seat in, even though it was listed as controlled! Since I contacted the instructors and showed such an interest in taking the course, getting permission was no problem. I would definitely send out an email, it never hurts to ask :)

essnce629

Thanks everyone, I just emailed the instructor. I work for a postpartum doula agency along with 6 other doulas and I think it would be a great idea for us all to attend a CPST course since we work with newborn babies and pregnant moms on a regular basis. As it is now, I already install or re-install all of my friends' and clients' carseats since they are all usually installed wrong. I really try to make sure they understand how to use them properly too since most don't even read their manual! I know a lot of people with the Chicco Keyfit, which I love, but not one person ever knows that the infant insert is supposed to come out after baby reaches 11lbs and lots of times the straps are in the wrong harness slot.

essnce629

So sad....I emailed the instructor and it bounced back to me saying invalid email address. I copied and pasted it right from the Safe Kids site so I know I didn't type it in wrong. She was the only instructor listed in my area too. Oh well, I guess I'll probably just have to wait till I move back to CA in a year.

leighi123

is there any other contact info listed? The person I emailed also had her phone number and adress listed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC