Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

2008 Chrysler Town and Country

Forgive me if this has been discussed.

The new town and country has 2nd row captains chairs that can be faced toward the rear of the vehicle. Is this a safe configuration? Can I put a FF car seat in the seat while the captain's chair is rear facing? My H and I are looking at this van and an 08 Kia Sedona. I have looked online but cannot seem to find any information without going to the dealership and getting an owner's manual. Anyone have one? We will be test driving in the next few weeks after I do more research on which features I want the most.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: 2008 Chrysler Town and Country

No, sorry. Child restraints are designed and tested for use on forward facing vehicle seats only, not side facing or rear facing vehicle seats. There's a warning near the front of the child restraint manuals to this effect. The Chrysler website and the owner's manual for the van also have statements prohibiting use of child restraints on the swivel and go vehicle seats when those vehicle seats are facing the rear of the vehicle.

This is a pretty popular topic as many who appreciate and encourage the notion of extended rear facing are intrigued and enthused about those swivel and go seats. Hold that thought of using the swivel and go seats facing rearward for older kiddos who pass the 5-step test to properly fit the adult seatbelt, or for adults.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar