Britax car seats and boosters

U

Unregistered

Should I wait for the Frontier? I don't know when it will be available here in Canada. My daughter is 5.5 years old and 38 lbs. Don't know her height but she is petite. We can barely do up the buckles of her Marathon when she has a snowsuit on. Here boosters are not approved for children under 40 lbs. Is the Frontier safer for her since it anchors using the LATCH system? If I don't wait, what is the difference between the Britax Parkway and Marathon? Grateful for your advice.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

First, the snowsuit in the car is dangerous. It will compress in a collision. You mention it's hard to do up her straps. Have you put her in without the snowsuit but the straps in the snowsuit position? That's how much air there would be in a collision, and having her in with her snowsuit basically means the harness is that loose on her.

Given that, she's probably got a bunch of time in the Marathon. Then you can decide on the Frontier, Parkway, or Marathon. Though the Parkway has been discontinued so the availability may be less.

Copied from http://www.elitecarseats.com/Britax-Monarch.pro:

"The Monarch Has:

* Expanding padded armrests
* Same weight, height, and weight capacity
* Option to be a backless booster
* More side impact protection for torso
o The Parkway loses some of its side impact protection when the headrest is raised, while to Monarch has high side-wings that protect all the way to the shoulder

The comfort factor on the Monarch is significant as well; with a triple layer of padding in the seat area and easily removed, machine washable plush fabrics. The headrest itself is adjustable with just one hand, and the seat can accommodate children from 30-60? or 30-100lbs. The padded armrests expand away from each other, creating space for bigger passengers that may need a wider seating area. There are also retractable cupholders (which the kids love) are in place on either side of the base. The Monarch is just the latest addition to the Britax family, and it proves once again why Britax is at the upper echelon of car seat comfort and safety."

Wendy

Neatfreak

If I recall correctly, the Monarch isn't available in Canada at current.

To answer the OP's question of how the Parkway is different than the MA, well, the Parkway is a high-back booster seat. It doesn't have a five point harness like the Marathon - it relies on the vehicles shoulder-and-lap belt to keep it's occupant contained.

If I get a vote, I think that your DD will probably get some more use out of her Marathon, and by the time she outgrows it, the Frontier (which will harness) will probably be on the shelves in Canada ...

U

Unregistered

Should I wait for the Frontier? I don't know when it will be available here in Canada. My daughter is 5.5 years old and 38 lbs. Don't know her height but she is petite. We can barely do up the buckles of her Marathon when she has a snowsuit on. Here boosters are not approved for children under 40 lbs. Is the Frontier safer for her since it anchors using the LATCH system? If I don't wait, what is the difference between the Britax Parkway and Marathon? Grateful for your advice.

A petite 5.5 year old would definately have room to grow in the Marathon. Perhaps she is currently in the roundabout?

If she is indeed in a Marathon and not a Roundabout than the only other Britax available in Canada currently is the parkway, which is strictly a booster (no internal harness).

If you daughter has outgrown her current seat by height you need to move her into something different ASAP. A seat is outgrown by height forward facing if her shoulders are above the top slots OR if the tips of her ears are above the back of the shell.

Please also check the expiration dates on your current seats.

Do you have other children to pass seats down to? There are other options to keep your dd harnessed.

HTH,

Heather

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC