FFing, back RFing

U

Unregistered

How do kids react to beint put RF again (once their parents realize the mistake they made by turning them FF too soon).
DD is 2 yrs old but only weighs 26 lbs, she can still RF until she gains 4 lbs (which could take awhile). How will she react if I try to turn her around? She's been FF since 15 months.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, all kids are different ;) But, mine was really receptive to the idea & she'd been FF for over a year when we went back to RF at about the same age as your DD.... I did a combination of things to help ease the transition:
  • We bought a brand new, much comfier seat & I told her that it had to face the other direction
  • I showed her pictures of other extended RF kiddos (click the 2nd line link in my signature) & we watched the crash test footage at the bottom of http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
  • I had her help me uninstall the old seat & unpack the new one
  • We did a living room carpet crash test fantasy role playing thing -- we acted out riding in the car, pretending kids/animals were running into the road so I "slammed the breaks", then flipped her carseat forward with her FF so that she had to use her hands to block her face from touching the floor ... when we did it all over again with her RF she giggled & realized she was safer that way :)
  • Afterwards, she helped me install the new seat & we went shopping for some new soft carseat toys as a "reward"
We started a new routine of getting in the car, too, which just including me climbing in the back with her (because it was winter, LOL) to take off her boots & get her buckled in & cozied up with her blanky, followed by listening to her favorite music CD as soon as we got in the car for every single ride & she now had fabric books & finger puppets to play with, too.

I'm not sure which of these things made the most difference, but they all worked together well for us, LOL ... we did the same kind of fantasy role-play experiment a few months ago when she hadn't yet reached the max weight/height but wanted to turn FF in my car because she was in Grandma's & it worked again for us ... the 2nd time I encouraged her to think up various ways of positioning her feet: cross legged, dangling over the sides, straight up over the seat back, etc. & this time I took pictures to make it more playful for her (we got in another couple months RF this way before she did reach the max weight limit) :cool:

j4m4d8

You never know until you try. :) Up until recently my daughter was always rear-facing in my car, but forward-facing in dh's, and it never seemed to bother her to switch. I don't think kids think about it all that much, really. It's the mamas that worry. (Doesn't that apply to just about everything? LOL)

Julie

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
TOo true ... & if at all possible, try to minimize any negative comments from others about extended RF - I think more than anything else, that is what influenced my daughter to want to be FF *SIGH*

U

Unregistered

Thanks, those are really helpful suggestions.
And I agree, moms worry alot these days, myself included...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC