Weird Question!

Mommy2Marcus

Hiya! So I was wondering why Canadian car seats are different than the US if they are made by the same manufacturer. Why are the weight & height different than the US? I have been wondering for quite awhile now why a MA has a 65lb limit in the US, but only a 48lb limit in Canada? Anyone know why the major differences. Also why do alot of yours have the crazy RF height limit on it when it is safe to still RF after that & why not a higher RF limit than 30lbs? Okay...I think that is all I was wondering! Inquiring minds would really like to know! Thanks for anyone who answers me!

ADS

TerisBoys

Short answer - Canada has different guidelines and testing methods for seats than the US.

I'll leave the long version up to a Canadian tech.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, this is still a short'ish version, and I'm not sure any of us could give a 100% technical long version because there seems to be some things we don't fully know...

Height limits - it seems that this one is up for debate. Evenflo simply states 1" above head as a height guideline. Radian is currently reviewing the height limit. CMVSS regulations basically state a height guideline must be labelled, but it doesn't specify how it's to be labelled.

30lb rf'ing limit - this breaks down to a difference in testing methods. CMVSS regulations stipulate the construction of the crash test bench, and our crash test bench is different than the NHTSA crash bench used for FMVSS testing. Speculatively, maybe the seats perform differently on the 2 benches. It also seems that CMVSS testing is being done with Hybrid II dummies while FMVSS testing is being done with Hybrid III dummies. The Hybrid II toddler dummy weighs 1lb less than the Hybrid III. There's also been some mention of the desire for standardization between seats, but there is nothing in the regulations preventing a manufacturer from certifying a seat up to 35lbs rf'ing.

Ff'ing weight limit - Our new MA's and Radians' have 65lb ff'ing limits. TC (transport Canada,) issued an order almost a year ago now allowing the increase in limits. All MA's manufactured since Sept 07 have had the 65lb limit. Our 65lb limit seats are being tested using the FMVSS crash bench specifications, but they have to be tested with the top tether and meet top tether head excursion requirements.

From the sounds of it, there is currently a review underway of CMVSS regulations and how they can be aligned in such a way that manufacturers won't incur much extra expense in certifying a seat to CMVSS standards. Given the speed of bureaucracy though, I really couldn't give a time line, nor do I have any idea what those changes are going to entail. I suspect one of them will be moving to the NHTSA prescribed crash test bench assembly, but that's just speculation on my part.

We do have some differences in standards now - ours were recently updated to require some form of energy absorbing material in any area that can be contacted by the head of a child during a collision. Not all seats are compliant with that yet and I'm not sure how long manufacturers have to update their seats when a change takes place like that.

Our seats all have to be top tethered, and that's partly the reason why we have some seats here with higher weight limits than what the seat is labelled to in the US - our Evenflo combination seats all go to 47lbs here whereas in the US they only go to 40lbs. Evenflo states that there is a structural difference, but I'm not sure about that. It could be a different in testing processes, or it could be that the seat doesn't meet FMVSS non-tethered head excursion standards at the higher weight, so perhaps in the US they can only label to the weight that meets both the tethered & the untethered head excursion requirements.

It's really not such a weird question. :thumbsup: The opposite question is often brought up as to why US seats have higher limits and more selection. There seems to be the desire on TC's part to smooth the process for manufacturers to get their seats certified in Canada, and there is also an increasing number of seats becoming available in Canada. Some are being released even close to the same time as the American counterparts.

Anyways, those are my thoughts in a not so short version, but I'm sure there's a much longer and more technical version out there that I just don't know about. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC