What would you have done?

MissAllyLou

I was leaving Sam's Club today, and parked next to me was a new Nissan Altima. In the backseat was a new-looking AOE .... It was seated in the middle of the backseat, and tethered directly behind it. Then the LATCH clips were clipped to the two outside top tethers, and NOTHING was holding the seat to the car at the base!!! What would you have done? I waited around for 10 minutes to see if anyone would get into the car, but no one did, but can I even offer advice? I'm not a CPST! :confused::confused::confused:

ADS

Bren&Elise'sMom

You could print a few or print then photocopy a few of the pamphlet that pastrygirl made about the common misuses of carseats and keep it in your car for leaving on cars with unsafe seats or giving to people that you see with unsafe seats.

MissAllyLou

Is it really okay for me to be giving out car seat advice though? I have NO training, I just intern with SafeKids once a month and nanny for several families ... I feel like, if I was a parent, I would be offended by someone who wasn't yet a parent telling me how to do something related to my kids. And, if I was offended, I'd be less likely to follow their advice, which seems so much worse to me then saying nothing?:question:

mcomommy

As a parent I would not be offended if someone left a flyer on my car windshield. I would not be offended by someone offering advise either but I would go home and make sure they were right before taking it.

Kabes

How about:
Hi, I am a nanny and a volunteer with SafeKids (they work to insure proper use of carseats). I noticed your car seat and I'm not sure it is installed correctly. I don't mean to be nosey but I'm sure you want your child to be as safe as possible. Please call xxx-xxxx (give the SafeKids #), they can set up an appointment to help you install your seat correctly at no charge. Or check out this web site www.car-seat.org
Have a great day! -AllyLou

I'm sure I couldn't have come up with it on the spot but since I've had 2 hours to think on it.

Last edited:

MissAllyLou

That's great advice, thank you ... I also couldn't come up with a note like that on the spot (obviously!), but it will be helpful for next time! :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered1

People seem to think the weirdest things are safe. Never mind reading the owner's manual. One of my instructors was telling me the other day that somebody came through a check with the latches like that and with the three rear seat belts ALL through the belt path buckling into each others' belt stalks. She said it looked like a spider web back there.

But yeah, I probably would have left a note. I need to get some little pamphlets printed out to keep with me. On that topic, does anybody have ideas for putting a pamphlet on a car when it's raining? I live in Ohio, raining is all it does around here.

For the record, I don't have kids of my own either... but I'm 1/2 way through my CPST class! I think as long as you put it respectfully parents will listen to you without being offended.

tjham

Carry some sandwich bags with you to put the notes in? :D

I love that misuse pamphlet, but even it doesn't cover that weird installation!
It's amazing and horrifying what people can come up with. :eek:

Mae

(Eyes wide open, with a very blank stare on my face, blinking every few seconds) Holy Moly! How's that safe?? :eek:

People make me sad. :(

Mommy2Marcus

I would have more than likely left a note. It drives me insane to see the crazy way people think is safe for their child to ride. Man Oh Man!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC