Next WWYD (Josh)

TerisBoys

Everytime I look at Josh in my van I don't like what I see.

SR-C026.jpg

He passes the 5 step test technically. But my seats are SO low that he tends to slouch down to make his legs more comfortable. So I guess he doesn't pass 5-step, because he can't stay in position for an entire trip.

A booster greatly improves things - this is his old SR/C (expired May 06 - just pulled from storage).

SR-C025.jpg

He's 5'2" tall, 89#, 20" torso. He'll be 12 on 4/25. Am I nuts for considering putting him back in a booster? I still have a Right Fit and a High Rise - and he's not opposed to doing it.

And for giggles - the ladies from the I-Village boards might remember this - Josh 5yo and William 18mo on my booster page. http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/terib/boostershelp.html

ADS

TerisBoys

Yeah - I met this awesome KDMF tech yesterday with two of the cutest little girls and she helped me make it one with my van. :D

Even if Ryan WAS mortified to have to sit in a Madison Regent LOL. He told me later that was why he didn't like it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, good thing you pulled that old site up before I did :D. I used to just be obsessed with all your great pictures. Yeah, if he's more comfy in a high rise or right fit, I'd use them. Man, those seats are crazy, like the front seats of a low-slung sports car...

courtfrog2

I thought that probably was the reason! It's SO pink! LOL. He should have tried our sahara one in dave's van.

TerisBoys

LOL, good thing you pulled that old site up before I did :D. I used to just be obsessed with all your great pictures. Yeah, if he's more comfy in a high rise or right fit, I'd use them. Man, those seats are crazy, like the front seats of a low-slung sports car...

I still can't figure out where my little guys went. All 3 of them :( Remember this set Julie? http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/terib/superelite.html

And yeah - I have no idea what the GM engineers were thinking when they designed those seats.

Last edited:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
OMG Teri! I remember those SE pics like it was yesterday! LOL! Thanks for the flashback.

We have low to the ground captain's chairs in our Freestar too. I think the reason they're designed this way in the Freestar is to give them the ability to fold and tumble forward. Do your seats do that too?

DS1 (almost 11) uses a booster in the captain's chair even though he could probably pass the 5-step test. This is him about 20 months ago in the Husky: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum/Danny.aspx

Right now he's using a Dakota LBB and I think it really helps his posture to have him elevated a few inches on the vehicle seat. I'm almost positive that if I let him ride w/o it that he would pass the 5-step test but he would slouch.

Kecia

TerisBoys

Actually Kecia - they do. Good point.

I've put his HighRise back in. I just don't like the way he slouches.

But - I can't booster him forever...What next? A new van's a few years down the road yet.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
But - I can't booster him forever...What next? A new van's a few years down the road yet.

I don't know. I'm in the same boat more or less. I'm going to keep DS1 in a booster until the end of the summer and then revisit the situation.

These are a few options that I've considered:

Keeping him in a LBB for as long as he can fit in one.

Just deal with it and try not to be so picky. (That's a tough one for me!)

Look into the possibility of swapping the captains chairs for a bench seat. I don't know if this is possible and I don't know if a bench seat would solve the problem. But I know the bench doesn't fold and tumble so maybe it's higher off the ground? I really don't know if this is a viable (or effective) option but it's something that I've thought about.

When Josh sits in the booster does the head rest adjust tall enough for him? If it does then I'd say use a LBB for as long as he'll fit in one and tolerate it.

HTH!

Kecia

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My 13yo does this, too, and for the same reason. He's currently sitting in the third row of the Mazda 5. The seat is so low his knees raise off the seat.

I've considered illegally importing a Clek Oto for him (yes, I know, bad tech - you may slap my wrist now). I've also considered moving my 10yo to that seating position and getting him a Recaro Start. Neither is something I can try out before we buy, and the various issues for either option have me hesitating. I could put the 10yo in a HB Nautilus booster (the only other HBB booster I've found that works in that seating position) but that's $150 for a seat that will be outgrown in about a year.

TerisBoys

He rode in his High Rise today. The headrest does adjust high enough. So I've got about 11 pounds til he hits the limits of it, and about 4" of torso growth before he's too tall for the headrest.

The Transport/Montana benches are just as low as my buckets (I have 3 across the middle, 2 in the back). I tried him in my ex-husband's 05 Montana captain's chairs tonight and had the same result.

Clek is a nice thought, but my van is pre-LATCH and I achieve about the same results with a High Rise or Right Fit (I actually think the Right Fit may work better, but it's currently in my mom's van).

ETA - can't use the RightFit anyway - he's 89# and it tops out at 80#. Ack!

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL, Teri! I remember that SE page! You know, you were the first one to respond to my very first question on iVillage way back in 2000 about whether or not I should buy a RA for my now 8 yr old ds. I did.

If the booster doesn't bother him, go for it. He's really grown up!

TerisBoys

LOL, Teri! I remember that SE page! You know, you were the first one to respond to my very first question on iVillage way back in 2000 about whether or not I should buy a RA for my now 8 yr old ds. I did.

If the booster doesn't bother him, go for it. He's really grown up!

I need to put bricks on his head I swear. And William and Ryan are right behind him at 53" and 44" (they seriously are stairsteps - 9" apart!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC