Kokkoon Safety?

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I still wouldn't use it. Especially when there are products which don't go between the baby & the seat at all!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
On the other hand, Transport Canada also has this official position http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/notices/Dser/d200401/menu.htm

"Padded Car Seat Bags: Child seat manufacturers state in their instructions not to use bulky clothing and never add anything between the shell of the restraint and the child. The padded car seat bag can re-route the harness system and add slack and increase compressibility. Check with the car seat manufacturer before using and ensure that the product does not compromise the harness routing path."

I suppose it's theoretically possible that a carseat company would agree it's ok, if you call them.... :confused:

super_grape

I know that Evenflo, Graco, and Cosco infant seat manuals here in Canada
say not to use any aftermarket products (not sure about Peg).

The newer Graco seats w/Gracopedic foam come with boots
that look really nice and cozy...altho I have to say that the puffy double
head support and the thick strap covers on the "G Collection" seat make
me REALLY nervous. I think it allows too much room for error.

Ther are a few products up here that go over the top of the seat and
wouldn't interfere at all. I bought a padded nylon/fleece cover at Walmart
for $17 and the local baby store (Ottawa - Kiddytown) carries the Posh
Pouch for around $50 I think.

Are you in Canada?
It's so dificult w/small children to weather the winters here!
My baby is due in January and I honestly don't know what I'm going
to do w/2 small kids in the dead of winter.
I must say tho that the Kokkoon is definately the lesser of the baby bag evils:)....The Jolly Jumper is the other popular one up here and it's horrible
to fit a harness thru that thing!
I don't think it can be done "safely" with any seat.

Holly

Kellyr2

No, I'm in NC - but I know even in the south, people look for ways to keep their babies warm LOL.
And I don't even have an infant right now - but I'm a consultant with Natural Family Boutique - so since I sell these, I wanted to be able to give accurate info. I think I'll just show people that are interested the safety letter, and also tell them to check with the car seat manufacturer. I think one thing is - The carseat manufacturers HAVE to say that to prevent them from any liability issues. And of course, the kokkoon people (bummis) will say their product is safe - though they did hire a 3rd party to do the testing. SO I think its one of those things that is just up to parents. If I lived somewhere very cold, I'd consider it, but I'd also prefer to find something that just goes over it.

super_grape

Well, I'd be lying if I said I haven't considered it....
It gets soooo cold up here, quite often warming up the car is not
enuf.
The answer I give when asked by a parent is that they're not a
good idea due to thickness/compressibility, Harness slot incompatibility,
quite often aren't flame retardent, and not rec. buy MFR.
But in all honesty, if I knew the harness could be done up properly
without any bunching of the bag and the material behind baby wasn't any thicker than say a fleece suit,
I might use it because then I personally wouldn't see the difference between this and a fleece suit.
Of coarse, this is all just my very humble opinion:)

By the way, neat store!!

Kellyr2

I think I may shop around for a used one for cheap so I can test it out and let parents try it in their seat to see if the straps are compatible or not. Good point about it not being much thicker than a fleece suit! Yep, I think thats what I'll do!
I can't take credit for the business, i'm just a consultant, but I think its pretty neat too! Lets just say I really mean it when I say that I'm my own best customer! LOL

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
WAYYYYY old post. lol Any new thoughts on this? Here's some pics a mom wanted me to post to show you more about how thick it is and how the back works etc. We're trying to form a concensus on if it's safe. :) I tend to be one that would not use something like this b/c I don't want other people seeing me and thinking something like the Bundle Me is safe b/c they see me using this. I just like the whole blanket statement of not using anything like that.

HEre's the front open and what the back looks like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/231350730/

Thickness
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/231350702/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/231345230/

Closed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/231350838/in/photostream/

Dillipop

A little off topic...but I was at BJ's yesterday and saw a Graco brand "bundle me." Would that be considered an aftermarket product for Graco seats, since they approve all their aftermarket products with their seats? I wouldn't use it, but was just wondering...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'll have to look for that one, I've never heard of it. I've always been told if the seat manufacturer makes it (so since this is Graco) you could use it in a Graco seat b/c they would've crash tested the product w/ their seats and deemed it safe.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Dillipop said:
A little off topic...but I was at BJ's yesterday and saw a Graco brand "bundle me." Would that be considered an aftermarket product for Graco seats, since they approve all their aftermarket products with their seats? I wouldn't use it, but was just wondering...

I can't find anything on the Graco site about it.

Dillipop

All I know is they had a bunch of them at BJ's for 29.99. They looked like they were thinner, like the bundle me lite, and were used the same way. Maybe they didn't sell well, and that's why they are at BJ's or maybe they are new to the market. I have never seen them any where else.

melaniev

anyone know the consensus on the "bundle me"? i was at a family member's baby shower this weekend and she got one. my 1st thought was - DONT USE IT! but i didnt want to be the party pooper and everyone loved the thing so i didnt say anything. i had not see these before.

lovinwaves

Here is a "bundle me" I found on the web.:eek:
38494310fca0c12c0ee3a010.L.jpg

acac4310fca0e12c0ee3a010.L.jpg

lovinwaves

This is a statement from the company.

"In line with JJ Cole's commitment to child safety, the Bundle Me has been tested to FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 213 requirements. All tests passed on the child restraint system, indicating that the Bundle Me product appeared to have little to no effect on the performance of the child restraint system."

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I say do not use, and the carseat manufacturers agree. A lot of times it has to do more w/ voiding your warranty and liability issues than w/ actual safety IMO, it varies thouhg from product to product. I find the true Bundle Mes too thick to be safe, especially then people add layers of clothes and coats etc. I did the Graco one that was mentioned earlier. I have been talking to Graco about it and they don't seem to know that they make it. lol I have yet to be back to BRU to get the product # so we could continue our conversation. The safest kind it the kind that goes OVER the seat and doesn't touch the inside at all.

skaterbabs

This is a statement from the company.

"In line with JJ Cole's commitment to child safety, the Bundle Me has been tested to FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 213 requirements. All tests passed on the child restraint system, indicating that the Bundle Me product appeared to have little to no effect on the performance of the child restraint system."

The problem with that statement is that FMVSS 213 doesn't say anything about how an aftermarket product should affect the CR.

It's actually dishonest IMO to say that because while not an outright lie, it's not true either.

Morganthe

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard (anecdotal or news report) of injury ever actually occuring because one of these baby bags has been used in an infant carseat? They've been out on the market for at least 4 years. Shouldn't there be some actual findings by now? Is there any actual evidence to correlate some factor to cause harm or bodily injury? Are there any lawsuits pending against any company making/distributing these items? Or is it all just cya theories?

I purchased a Nano bag/sack (can't remember what it was called exactly) for my dd in 2003. Outside was a nylon wind & water resistant cover with polypropeline yellow fleece. After a month of use, I read on some online sites with opinions by certified techs saying it shouldn't be used because of possible bunching or interference with the harness. Again, some quoted manufacturerers admonishments to not have anything between infant & seat. But when I looked at her carseat, it fit perfectly in there all smooth, flat, and definitely less bulky than her sweaters or other clothes.

From Nov 03-Feb 2004, the winter was bitter cold or freezing rain, and I had to walk at least a block for most of that time to my car because of road construction. Since Rowen was a preemie and had spent 10 days in NICU with Pneumonia after her birth, I was more concerned with keeping her from illness than theories of interference. I was able to keep a pile of blankets all tucked in (over her harness) that didn't get loose or wet thanks to being able to zip everything in a bag.

I still wonder though, if I did the right thing. We didn't have any accidents, nor did she get deathly ill again. I do feel a little defensive about my decision, especially when I read posts advising against all bags/covers. Did I place my child in jeopardy with being more concerned about her health in freezing temps? :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC