5 and 6 year old/ Lap only belt/low income/ need help

courtfrog2

I have been corresponding with someone from our local freecycle who is kinda in a bind. She had a 5 and 6 year old. They have a Lincoln with lap only belts. She was unaware that boosters do not work without the shoulder belts. I have been trying to help her figure something out. That's why I am coming here.

Does anyone know if the Lincoln dealership can install a shoulder strap to her existing lap only belts? For some reason I think they can, but does anyone have any experience with them. Like how much it will cost?

She is very low income, they are needing to sell their other vehicle (that has lap/shoulder belts) because they need the money. Is there any cheap alternative for her to use with her lap only belts? What about the discontinued britax laptop? I have a new one in my mom's garage, but are they expired yet? I haven't been over there to check. I was thinking if it's got a year or so left, I could let her have that one for at least one of the kids... as long as their weights work...

How much is an EZ on harness? I don't have time to search since it's midnight here and I gotta go to bed.

Thanks for you help!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The 86Ys seem to run $55-$75, but they'll have to install the included tether anchors. Shouldn't be too hard in a Lincoln, though (my BIL had one - called it the Stinkin' Lincoln LOL!)

The Laptop is, at best, very close to expiring, but it might be more acceptable in this situation to push those limits rather than leave the kids improperly restrained.

If the dealer quotes her a high price for retro-fitting lap/shoulder belts, have her call auto body shops. That may be the most economical and long-term solution.

courtfrog2

Thank you! I am having her call the dealership today. Also am going to my mom's to check the laptop. At least can give it to her in the interim of getting a new shoulder harness.

With MI new booster laws, I'm sure this is going to be a problem with many people.

skaterbabs

Not that it makes it safe, but most states have it written that boosters are not required if the vehicle only has lap belts.

Defrost

Not that it makes it safe, but most states have it written that boosters are not required if the vehicle only has lap belts.

Oh, you got me all excited! But then I checked, and ours doesn't have that exemption. (But if all the seatbelts are being used by other passengers, then the child is exempt from being restrained, as long as he's in the back seat!)

tl01

So if a booster is not required b/c there is only a lap belt, then what is a safe seat set up for a child or an adult?:confused:

courtfrog2

She called the lincoln dealership and they won't put a shoulder harness in for liability purposes?

Should I just give her my Britax Laptop for a while? I am sure it's expiring this year though. Took it out of the box in June '07, but of course it was probably manufactured in 02.

Her kids are 5 and 6 and I asked her and she said they are around 42 and 46lbs.

I feel really bad for her. I'm sure she's not the only one.

courtfrog2

I of course mentioned that to her and to have her get on their waiting list. I'm sure she will qualify since she is on state assistance. She told me today that she is going to apply... hopefully she will.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I of course mentioned that to her and to have her get on their waiting list. I'm sure she will qualify since she is on state assistance. She told me today that she is going to apply... hopefully she will.

Could you refer her? as a tech I sent in a referral letter once to KDMF requesting assistance for a family, the family was moved way up on the list and got a seat very quickly.

courtfrog2

I actually am a "volunteer" for them so I probably could. I'm just not sure if I feel right about having them be moved up on the list. That doesn't seem fair to the others on the list. I only know this person from freecycle... never met her before. She said she would apply, not sure if she will, but if she doesn't it's her choice. I've never seen her kids... although I urged her to set up a time to meet with, so hopefully she takes me up on that offer. She did call me which is good. Right now her kids are in a vehicle with lap/shoulder belts, but she is trying to sell that vehicle then will be using her lincoln full time.

I'll know more when I meet her.

TerisBoys

The dealership might not - but have her try a body shop.

I know K & D in Three Rivers builds race cars - I'm sure they'd have a clue about installing tether anchors or retrofitting seatbelts.

skaterbabs

So if a booster is not required b/c there is only a lap belt, then what is a safe seat set up for a child or an adult?:confused:

The reason it wouldn't be required in lap-belt-only situations is because you can't use boosters with lap-only belts. The law would be impossible to follow.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is it possible to get anchors retrofitted and then use RSTVs? I don't think that's cheaper than EZ-on, though.

Wendy

Niea

The reason it wouldn't be required in lap-belt-only situations is because you can't use boosters with lap-only belts. The law would be impossible to follow.

Right, but I think her point is that the exemption makes it sound as if lap-belts are safe for children without boosters and for adults. The point is that lap-belts aren't safe for anyone, period.

I realize the exemption is in place so that the law won't contradict booster manufacturer recommendations, but it offers false assurance in regards to safety practices.

Of course there's no easy solution. It would be nice if all vehicles could be retrofitted with a lap-shoulder belt, but they can't. And since these vehicles have been grandfathered in as being legal, there's not much anyone can do except try to be creative like the OP is doing.

skaterbabs

Lap-only belts aren't ideal, but they DO perform the task for which they were designed: preventing ejection.

Defrost

is there a proper use clause?

I'm not sure - does this wording qualify as proper use?

properly secured in a child safety restraint

It certainly sounds like you can't use a booster with a lap-only belt, as that wouldn't be "properly secured," but then there's no specific exemption for lap-only belts, either. So they've effectively made it illegal to transport children in lap-only seating positions unless they're in a carseat? I bet no one else here realizes that. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC