Booster Seat Help??

Mommy2Marcus

Okay...I have a 4 year old nephew that my IL's have almost ALL the time. He is in a low back booster seat & has been for about 2 years! :eek: I know I know...I have always thought he was to young for a booster, but never knew HOW dangerous it really was. So here is what I am having a problem with. Now that I know just how unsafe it really is I have a few options, but I am not sure HOW to approach the subject with my MIL. I really really want him to still be harnessed as he is tall & skinny, but if I just absolutly can not get them to reharness him I would like him to at least be in a high back booster. So now here is where the problem comes in. My MIL thinks I am NUTS for buying a MA & paying over $200 for it b/c she thinks he will be in a booster within a year, NOT HAPPENING BTW. So...anyone have any suggestions on how to broach the subject with her without hurting her feelings or just plain ticking her off?? Email is out as she has no computer or internet. I was thinking of printing out some articles about extended 5 point harnessing & sending them via regular mail with a note explaining that I love her & my DN & want him to be as safe as possible & want to share some information I have learned. I also thought about when we go in May taking some information on both ERF & HWHing & when she asks WHY Marcus is RF again offering her the info on ERF & then accidently handing her the HWH info instead. What do you think? I have also thought about just coming outright & telling her that he is to young to be in a booster & giving her the facts, but I am not sure how well that would go over. I have also thought about giving them my Husky to use for him for the next year untill it expires so he can be safer untill he is READY for a HBB. SOOOOO anyone have any suggestions? I have also thought that IF I coulf get them to put him back in a harness OR in a HBB to offer to buy it for him. I am just trying to figure out the best approach without hurting anyones feelings, making anyone ticked at me...my MIL holds BAD grudges... & still make him as safe as possible at the same time. I know that this is long so TY for reading. Also I do not want to tick her off & nothing change. Anyone think of a better way to do it?? Thanks SO much for any input!

ADS

melniemi

I would give them your Husky and say something to the effect that: " Marcus won't be big enough to use this seat before it expires so I thought you could use it for __. He would be much safer and more comfortable. You won't believe what I learned about car safety and how car crashes are the #1 killer of kids." and have some info ready to hand over.

Good luck. My sis just told me neither of her boys (8 and just turned 6 this week) ride in boosters anymore and she doesn't think it's a big deal. I said something to the effect that since car crashes are the #1 killer of kids, I will do whatever I can to keep my kids safe. And how our law is changing this summer and I am so glad more parents will be forced to keep kids safe. Didn't seem to have an effect on her, but it is something I've tried to force on her before and it hasn't gone over well. She's been given all the info. She did keep her dd rfing until 2 & 30 - more because she didn't want to reinstall her ma, but hey, I'll take it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC