Latched boosters versus unlatched boosters

izzyh4

are there studies suggesting latched boosters are better? I am assuming they are as the booster is not moving forward in an impact. The reason I am returning the monarchs (and buying frontierd) is because they weigh 15 pounds - more than a third of the weight of my little girl. She needs to move to something else because of torso height but I am scared of her sitting in a 15 pound unrestrained seat only held in by a seatbelt. Am I overreacting? And at 4 3/4 not sure I can trust her to sit perfectly all the time. I don't think I would be so concerned when doing inner city driving, but we frequently make long road trips (15 hours to inlaws) Incidentally both have always travelled great and been very comfortable in the Wizard and the boulevard. (Although I am extremely excited about cupholders and snackholders - I hope it will limit the amount of passing things back that I have to do!

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I think the main reason for the LATCHed booster is to prevent projectiles when not occupied. At least that's what I understood from Sunshine Kids. The car seat engineers didn't seem so concerned about the weight of the seat if I understood that chat correctly.

April

In my personal opinion, its more convienient to have the boosters latched. In DH's truck, we have them latched, but in mine there is no latch so I always have to remind the kids to buckle their boosters when they get out so that they don't go flying.

southpawboston

there is a published study comparing LATCHed versus non-LATCHed boosters (i can email it to anyone, just PM me). they found that having them LATCHed resulted in slightly lower forces on the child in a frontal crash. i'm not aware of any published studies for side impact, but videos (as well as common sense) seem to indicate that there would be a benefit there as well.

April

Here's my question though..... If the vehicle manufacturers' stated weight limit on the latch anchors are say 40 or 48 lbs, and typically we are trying to keep kids in harnessed seats AT LEAST up until then, doesn't that make the latchability (for lack of a better term) useless anyways? We have two of those Clek boosters with the stiff latch attachments and our kids are both over 48lbs, so they are useless anyways. I should go read my manuals and see if it even says anything about checking the vehicle manufacturer's latch weight limits, because that particular booster is marketed for 40 - 100 lbs stiff-latch attachment. For someone who isn't as educated, it could be misleading.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The LATCH is only holding the weight of the booster. So weight limits that apply to harnessed seats do not apply to them. The seatbelt is holding the child, so there's really no weight limit to how much a LATCHed booster can hold.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC