Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Latched boosters versus unlatched boosters

are there studies suggesting latched boosters are better? I am assuming they are as the booster is not moving forward in an impact. The reason I am returning the monarchs (and buying frontierd) is because they weigh 15 pounds - more than a third of the weight of my little girl. She needs to move to something else because of torso height but I am scared of her sitting in a 15 pound unrestrained seat only held in by a seatbelt. Am I overreacting? And at 4 3/4 not sure I can trust her to sit perfectly all the time. I don't think I would be so concerned when doing inner city driving, but we frequently make long road trips (15 hours to inlaws) Incidentally both have always travelled great and been very comfortable in the Wizard and the boulevard. (Although I am extremely excited about cupholders and snackholders - I hope it will limit the amount of passing things back that I have to do!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Latched boosters versus unlatched boosters

I think the main reason for the LATCHed booster is to prevent projectiles when not occupied. At least that's what I understood from Sunshine Kids. The car seat engineers didn't seem so concerned about the weight of the seat if I understood that chat correctly.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

In my personal opinion, its more convienient to have the boosters latched. In DH's truck, we have them latched, but in mine there is no latch so I always have to remind the kids to buckle their boosters when they get out so that they don't go flying.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

CPS Fanatic

there is a published study comparing LATCHed versus non-LATCHed boosters (i can email it to anyone, just PM me). they found that having them LATCHed resulted in slightly lower forces on the child in a frontal crash. i'm not aware of any published studies for side impact, but videos (as well as common sense) seem to indicate that there would be a benefit there as well.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Here's my question though..... If the vehicle manufacturers' stated weight limit on the latch anchors are say 40 or 48 lbs, and typically we are trying to keep kids in harnessed seats AT LEAST up until then, doesn't that make the latchability (for lack of a better term) useless anyways? We have two of those Clek boosters with the stiff latch attachments and our kids are both over 48lbs, so they are useless anyways. I should go read my manuals and see if it even says anything about checking the vehicle manufacturer's latch weight limits, because that particular booster is marketed for 40 - 100 lbs stiff-latch attachment. For someone who isn't as educated, it could be misleading.
    April-CRST

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

The LATCH is only holding the weight of the booster. So weight limits that apply to harnessed seats do not apply to them. The seatbelt is holding the child, so there's really no weight limit to how much a LATCHed booster can hold.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

AHhhhhhh.... Thank you!
    April-CRST

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good