Anyone own a Volkswagon Beetle?

MOM25BOYS

Just curious if anyone here owns one and could answer a few questions for me...:whistle: DH and I are looking a maybe purchasing a used one to have as a spare car since the cost of gas is high and my Expedition and his full size truck are gas hogs! I was wanting to know just how good on gas it is and how and what kind of car seats would fit in the back seats? Also is there a hump in the middle of the back seat? I am a SAHM so this will mainly be used on trips where I don't need to take but one or two of the boys to the doc or to my doc app. DH also wants something he could use when I am out on my SUV so he doesn't have to drive his full size truck. We recently bought a crew cab Chevy S-10 but DH is crazy about it and would rather look at selling it and putting the money towards buying a small car. Just let me know you opinions or experiance and thanks in advance!:D

ADS

StarrNanny

I don't own one, but my roommate does. It gets good gas mileage (even the older ones). There is a hump in between the two backseats. I was still able to put both Marathons in it, but had to have someone else pick up T from school the day I had to drive her car, cause there was no way I could fit all 3 in the backseat. However, that said both of my seats go ff so if you have rf kids I have no idea, cause there's not alot of room from the backseat to the front and if you or DH have long legs rf seats probably wouldn't work very well, and would be a nightmare to get your kiddos in and out of since its a two door car with a small cabin.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, the new Beetle has a two seater back seat literally because there's no center seatbelt or center rear seating position at all. :) A student in my tech class drove a new Beetle. I only practiced installing a Snugride base on the rear passenger seat (LATCH install and also re-installed the base with the seatbelt + locking clip). I didn't wrestle with any convertibles or larger HWH seats in the Beetle. The compatibility database at (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) has some Beetle entries, if I remember correctly.

christineka

I had a 1970 beetle. If you aren't short like me there wouldn't be much space in back for a rear facing seat. I had a bench seat- picked it up at the "pick a part". I don't remember whether there were two or three seat belts back there. I loved that car. Too bad the bottom rusted out (including the battery compartment). I plan to get a nice old one some day when the kids move out. I am so sick of driving a bus.

Christine

MOM25BOYS

Thanks Jean!:thumbsup: That was my other question. I didn't know if DS#5 SS1 would fit back there outboard. I would most likely have him with me if I left anywhere on it and DH would have the older ones. My other boys are FF except for DS#4 , but he is a "daddys boy" so I am not concerned with trying to get one in there RF since he will most likely stay with DH!:D We are just looking at a more cost effective way to cut gas on docs visits and grocery store trips. As you could imagine with 5 boys there are quite a few of both!!;) Thanks!
Right, the new Beetle has a two seater back seat literally because there's no center seatbelt or center rear seating position at all. :) A student in my tech class drove a new Beetle. I only practiced installing a Snugride base on the rear passenger seat (LATCH install and also re-installed the base with the seatbelt + locking clip). I didn't wrestle with any convertibles or larger HWH seats in the Beetle. The compatibility database at (Carseat Data website closed - link broken) has some Beetle entries, if I remember correctly.

DILLIGAFF

My wife does and we love to drive it. One of the most responsive cars I ever drove, impressive little things. Her is an 07 with the Audi 2.5 Cly engine with Tiptronic and Packet 1. Packet 2 has a few more things like fog lights but the best for your money is Packet 1.

The grandkid rides on the back, she will be 2 years old. Is not a very comfy car for having a kid. Is possible and I can move the seat forward to get myself in with the little one. Is pretty easy but you will like a 4 door car better if that what you have in mind. She has no gripes about it and loves the car. We get a lot of compliments on the car too. Seems to make people smile. Is pretty safe too. Good visibility. The TDI is the Diesel ones, those things has over 600 mile range with a tank of gas. Better than a Hybrid and pulls like V8. You have to drive one to see what I am talking about. In 09 or so, we are going to get a Turbo Diesel, as soon they hit the market. The back side only fit an Umbrella Stroller so is not much of cargo space. However, we go grocery shopping in it and we fit quiet a bit. I am 6ft tall and I fit really good in the front seats. It has a GTI platform so has a sport feeling and you will be zipping in and around the traffic. Zooming by SUVs while those Mammoths can not even dodge anything except for running over it. I am not a big fan of big n slow vehicles. I love the response and feel of a sports cars. I was station in Germany and that is when you learn to appreciate that handling is better than size when you zip through the Autobahn.

My Impala is better for a kido, has more room and easy in and out from the back seat (4 door car). The trunk is pretty roomie for all her stuff.

Hope this helps :)

DILLIGAFF

I do not see info there about what you just said. Is a lot of good info about been save in the road along with some nasty pics of some SVUs totaled. Anyway, here is a link for the New Beetle.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=100

It gets good ratings, put is not perfect either. Side impacts seems to be the weakest point but still getting a good review. I believe it failed the 750Ft drop from the tower and the TNT blast test in Montana.

*Note*

I see why you say is not safe in FL. I went to see my sister and brother in Tampa. An sure they have the worst drivers in USA. To the point that is as bad as driving in Korea and the Middle East. I would say that no car is safe there... :D

skipspin

I had a New Beetle (living in Tampa, no less) until I was expecting DD. I really loved it. There were times I regretted selling it, but I think I wouldn't have if I ever had to use it with a RFing baby. That would have been a pain since I'm a SAHM and take my kids everywhere with me. I had the turbo and boy did that thing go! You could go 90 on accident and it felt like you were going 45. Cruise control was my friend as I never got a ticket and have no desire to go that fast.

I've always told DH that when all my kids are older (over 4-5) and can buckle themselves I might want a Diesel convertible. (Do they make a diesel convertible? I'm not sure.) We'll see. I might stick with a Jeep, or I might want a beetle. It is a decent 4 passenger car as long as the back two passengers are short- There's not a ton of headroom since it's so "curvy."

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm not really up-to-date on the newer models or the price differences, but we have an '01 VW Golf TDI and it gets awesome gas mileage. (Around 40mpg.) It also fits kids in the back seat better than a Beetle would (we had 3-across in there for years), and since it's a hatchback there's more cargo room. Since you're looking for good gas mileage and family-friendly, you might want to look into the Golf instead. :)

lovinwaves

Volkswagens have had some issues with quality in the past few years. I am not sure if the Bug falls into this, but our Passat just had another recall on it. This will probably be our last Volkswagen unless where they are made changes.

I have driven the diesel Bug and was very impressed (of course VW's are not hard to impress me). I am not sure I would want to own one with a small child I would be getting in and out. I would also like a vehicle with better side impact crashes, and a tad bit larger. But that's just my opinion :)

What other cars are you interested in?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I do not see info there about what you just said. Is a lot of good info about been save in the road along with some nasty pics of some SVUs totaled. Anyway, here is a link for the New Beetle.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=100

It gets good ratings, put is not perfect either. Side impacts seems to be the weakest point but still getting a good review. I believe it failed the 750Ft drop from the tower and the TNT blast test in Montana.

The link you gave is for frontal offset crashes. Here is the link showing both front and side from IIHS http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=383 (click on either to see more detail)

And here's the NHTSA data http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site...905bf54110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&model=4826 which is 4 stars for frontal and 3 stars for side impact for rear passengers.

With side impact being the most deadly of crashes, I'd settle for nothing less than a 5 star/Good rating plus side air curtains for the seating areas where my kids were going to be (best if ALL seating positions can have this rating). The problem is, this tends to put you into a larger vehicle. My parents were looking at the smaller cars too and I cringed every time I looked up the crash test ratings.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
just to be fair, techno, NHTSA's front side impact rating is 4 stars. you only specified rear side impact ratings. FWIW :twocents:
Right, I specified rear only because that's where the kids were going to be sitting. :) But, of course you're correct on the 4 stars for front seat side impact.

One thing to note is that the IIHS side impact data for the rear seat actually rates as Good, except for the head area which rates as A. A child in a restraint likely would be more protected from head injury though, so the rear side impact rating might not be as bad as it appears. The IIHS gives it 3 stars in the rear and doesn't supply a HIC (head injury criterion).

Lys

Senior Community Member

http://www.informedforlife.org/

In the top right (look for the big red arrow), there is a drop down menu where you can choose year, make and model of vehicle you're interested in.
It will give you a comprehensive report on indvidual vehicles including both NHTSA and IIHS crash ratings.

southpawboston

Right, I specified rear only because that's where the kids were going to be sitting. :) But, of course you're correct on the 4 stars for front seat side impact.

One thing to note is that the IIHS side impact data for the rear seat actually rates as Good, except for the head area which rates as A. A child in a restraint likely would be more protected from head injury though, so the rear side impact rating might not be as bad as it appears. The IIHS gives it 3 stars in the rear and doesn't supply a HIC (head injury criterion).

right. and in fact, i didn't mention this earlier, but the star rating for the rear passenger is completely irrelevant for children in carseats. the test measures damage to an adult dummy seated in the vehicle seat with the vehicle's seatbelt... not a child dummy secured in a booster or harnessed seat. if you want any relevance at all, you'd have to look at the european NCAP test method, where they actually do use child test dummies (both an infant and a toddler, in RF and FF seats, respectively) in the second row. it's not a perfect test by any means, but at least it has SOME relevance to second row safety for children in carseats. the US tests are absolutely irrelevant in that regard. :twocents:

MOM25BOYS

Thanks everyone!:) You all have give me and DH alot of great information. We are still considering what to do once we sell the new truck we just purchased. Keep the info coming and thanks a bunch!!:D

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Volkswagens have had some issues with quality in the past few years. I am not sure if the Bug falls into this, but our Passat just had another recall on it. This will probably be our last Volkswagen unless where they are made changes.

I have known several people (and am even related to a few of them! :p) who have had significant issues with their VWs/Audis in the past few years. All the issues I have know about have been with Jettas, Passats, and A4s, but that is enough to make me swear off VWs! :p

lovinwaves

I have known several people (and am even related to a few of them! :p) who have had significant issues with their VWs/Audis in the past few years. All the issues I have know about have been with Jettas, Passats, and A4s, but that is enough to make me swear off VWs! :p

Add the Touareg to your list as well. *sigh*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC